Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Changing propeller in the water

88Skier

I ordered the puller kit which came with a really nice storage bag. I'll never carry a spare prop on the boat with me as I live at the lake but, it got me thinking about you folks that carry a spare on the boat. Have you actually changed the prop while the boat is in the water?

Yes it can be done. The biggest problem is not dropping the the key pin. It is possible to do it without, but it's much easier if you keep a mask or goggles on the boat.

Joe

I've done it in the water with the boat backed up near shore.

I didn't have a prop puller, so here's what I did. I took off the swim step to make it easier to reach the prop. I pulled the kotter pin, backed of the nut a couple turns and put the kotter pin back in. Then I idled out into open water and floored it in reverse for a couple seconds, this will break the prop loose from the shaft. Then I backed it back close to shore where I could tie it off. Sitting in the water, you can reach the prop. Be careful not to drop the kotter pin or the shaft key (but you should have an extra on of each of these in your boat tool kit anyway). The prop will slide right off the shaft. No diving or anything.

Yes, I have done it. Last summer on Lake Martin, tore up my prop, limped back to the cabin, backed up into 3' of water, pulled the old prop and installed the replacement in just a few minutes. Not a problem in clear water.

Yes, I have done it. Last summer on Lake Martin, tore up my prop, limped back to the cabin, backed up into 3' of water, pulled the old prop and installed the replacement in just a few minutes. Not a problem in clear water.

I keep my spare prop in the car and take the boat out of the water to change if needed. Never changed it in the water.

I've done it in the water with the boat backed up near shore.

I didn't have a prop puller, so here's what I did. I took off the swim step to make it easier to reach the prop. I pulled the kotter pin, backed of the nut a couple turns and put the kotter pin back in. Then I idled out into open water and floored it in reverse for a couple seconds, this will break the prop loose from the shaft. Then I backed it back close to shore where I could tie it off. Sitting in the water, you can reach the prop. Be careful not to drop the kotter pin or the shaft key (but you should have an extra on of each of these in your boat tool kit anyway). The prop will slide right off the shaft. No diving or anything.

That's pretty clever.

I wouldn't floor it in reverse for this. Maybe a drop in gear and a tich of juice.

Did I ever tell you about the time I lost a brass two blade speed prop off an outboard hydroplane??? Whistling.gif My former brother-in-law forgot to put in the cotter pin. . .

I ordered the puller kit which came with a really nice storage bag. I'll never carry a spare prop on the boat with me as I live at the lake but, it got me thinking about you folks that carry a spare on the boat. Have you actually changed the prop while the boat is in the water?

A couple of times - no problem, just cranked up the boat hoist Biggrin.gif

I wouldn't floor it in reverse for this. Maybe a drop in gear and a tich of juice.

Did I ever tell you about the time I lost a brass two blade speed prop off an outboard hydroplane??? Whistling.gif My former brother-in-law forgot to put in the cotter pin. . .

What kind of hydroplane? I used to have a C hydro with a mach 30.

Not sure what kind it was. My brother-in-law bought it on the side of the road. Little two-seater, 10 feet IIRC, with a 40 horse Merc. Oh that thing was fun for a kid my age. Wish I still had it today.

Yes it can be done. The biggest problem is not dropping the the key pin. It is possible to do it without, but it's much easier if you keep a mask or goggles on the boat.

Joe

Might also be a good idea to hide the ignition key while you do the work Shocking.gif

Mike

Joe

Might also be a good idea to hide the ignition key while you do the work Shocking.gif

Mike

Or take the lanyard with you!

Joe

Mike

Or take the lanyard with you!

If I'm under the boat and there is anyone within an hours drive, I take the key out and hide it well. Call me paranoid, but I have a thing about spinning sharp objects around my body parts.