Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intermittent Stalling

I am having problems with my Echelon Stalling sparatically for no apparent reason. The motor will just cut off without warning. Somtimes it will just have a hiccup and keep going somtimes it will just die like someone flipped a switch. There are no consistant factors that would help me diagnose this problem.

I am assuming that it is somthing bad in the wiring, or a sensor or somesort.

I have already replaced the Ignition Coil and the Ignition sensor that is located near the distributor.

I have already replaced the safety neutral switch as well.

Anyone have any suggestions, I am running out of ideas and would not like to play "ineey meeny miny moe" and start just replacing parts. My shop suggested that maybe it is the ignition key switch itself. Could it be a bad ignition module, solenoid, or circut breaker.

PLEASE HELP! Memorial Day is fast appraoching and we have a trip planned, and unless I can't get it figured out we might not go.

Seem to remember having that problem on my'93' Echelon but can't remember what it was. Try checking the battery terminals and make sure everything is clean and tight.

/Steve

Have you made sure the safety lanyard switch is fully engauged and both connectors on the back side are fully connected? I've seen some over time that even when the red thing is in place it's still not working. You might try bypassing it on your next trip out.

Seem to remember having that problem on my'93' Echelon but can't remember what it was. Try checking the battery terminals and make sure everything is clean and tight.

/Steve

That helps a lot!!! J/K..

Already tried that put in a new battery and terminals....nothing.

Have you made sure the safety lanyard switch is fully engauged and both connectors on the back side are fully connected? I've seen some over time that even when the red thing is in place it's still not working. You might try bypassing it on your next trip out.

My doesn't have a safety lanyard.

I had the "hiccup" on the Monsoon, intermittant and very annoying, and after some advice from this site, I checked the Cannon Plug. Just disconnect it and reconnect it nice and tight...and while you're in the area, do the same with all other electrical connections you can find.

Since I did this, the boat hasn't missed a beat...and it didn't require a trip to the dealer Yahoo.gif

BTW...I had NO idea what a cannon plug was, but a quick search on the web will give you the picture of it you need...

what motor?

Merc 350 Carbureted.

I had the "hiccup" on the Monsoon, intermittant and very annoying, and after some advice from this site, I checked the Cannon Plug. Just disconnect it and reconnect it nice and tight...and while you're in the area, do the same with all other electrical connections you can find.

Since I did this, the boat hasn't missed a beat...and it didn't require a trip to the dealer

BTW...I had NO idea what a cannon plug was, but a quick search on the web will give you the picture of it you need...

I believe I tried that once already, but I will give it a shot again. Just for refernce this is the large (2" or more) connector that is on the driver side of the engine and basically is the entire wiring for the whole engine.

Edited by Ramman17

Ramman,

The ignition switch is a valid issue for a possible problem. The connectors get corroded and prevent electrical transfer. This deals with both starting and running issues. Try removing the wire connectors and clean the contacts and see what that does or replace it if necessary. This is a fairly common problem.

Ramman,

The ignition switch is a valid issue for a possible problem. The connectors get corroded and prevent electrical transfer. This deals with both starting and running issues. Try removing the wire connectors and clean the contacts and see what that does or replace it if necessary. This is a fairly common problem.

Looks like I will be taking a look at this this weekend. Sounds like a good starting point.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Checked the cannon plug... no change. Ignition key switch looks clean no rust or corrosion...unless there is somthing messed up internally.

My father is pretty electrically savvy, so we are gonna try and trouble shoot some things.

Some new symptoms I noticed last time out:

When it died the last time I noticed that the gauges were pegged. They did not reset until the engine actually started again. It took several times to get the motor started again. Despite the cranking the gauges did not move. The tach was stuck at 3000 rpm, right where it was when the motore died.

I also noticed that the motor would crank slower some times than others. All this prompted me to make a call to Malibu for some guidance. I spent some time on the phone with Malibu service support and they suggested they narrowed it down to it likely being one of the following...

• Battery Cables
  • Ignition key switch
  • 50 amp Circuit Breaker
  • Solinoid (located near the circuit breaker)

I can see the battery cables or possible the key switch, but not the circuit breaker. I could possible see the solonoid failing but I am not sure what this is for. I would imagine this works in conjunction with the circuit breaker to cut of the power when the circuit breaker is tripped.

Anyone have any experience with these symptoms being cause by any of those parts. Could this all just be as ssimple as bad battery cables or a bad ignition key switch. It has to be one of these items.

HELP!!!!! Cry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gifCry.gif:(:(:(

Edited by Ramman17

My thoughts too:

* Battery Cables

* Ignition key switch or loose circuit breaker power lead.

* 50 amp Circuit Breaker

* Solinoid (located near the circuit breaker)

Soloniod is often a bad spot for time-corrosion on the Merc's. Good place to start. Actually on your Merc it might be mounted top front driver's side too.

Good luck,

Peter

I need a wiring diagram to pinpoint the problem we are getting current off the key switch.

We are measuring 12.5V constant and respectively 12.1 when the ignition is on.

However we are only getting 0.5V on the plus terminal of the ignition coil.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know where we can get a copy of the wiring diagram for the ignition system including the key switch?

Anyone have the serice manual that could fax us some information.

Edited by Ramman17