Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

W719 1100lb Bag in VTX Locker

SkiZilla

Considering replacing the 750 we run in the locker of our VTX with an 1100. Looking for feedback from those who are using the larger sac on fit. Pictures would be great if you have any.

Thanks crew

Not sure on the VTX locker size, but on our boat I just switched from the 750 to 1100 and it made a noticeable difference in locker utilization and weight when full. I wish I would have just started out with the 1100's.

Found this:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42101-2011-vtx-johnson-pump-1100-bags-install/?hl=1100

Answers my own question.

Currently in addition to the MLS we are running the 750 in the locker a 340 under the port side seat and a 400 on top of the port seat. Great wave for a little boat. The 750 and 340 are concealed and plumbed to a Jabsco and the set up is supper easy. The 400 I am filling manually and tiring of it....hate the bag being on the seat and hate throwing the pump overboard. I don't expect the 1100 to fill completely but I am hoping the difference is enough that I can forget about the 400 and not miss it with respect to the wave quality.

This weekend I borrowed my friends 1100 to see it would fit I swithced out 750, 1100 was a nice fit. I am going to order me an 1100 and sale my 750. I dont have a pictures of it.

400 lb in the corner won't be the same as 400 lb on the port seat. My VTX doesn't seem to need more weight in the back. Mid ship and bow weight works the better. I only have 400's over the rear tanks.

Post up what you find out after making the switch. I would be interested!

400 lb in the corner won't be the same as 400 lb on the port seat. My VTX doesn't seem to need more weight in the back. Mid ship and bow weight works the better. I only have 400's over the rear tanks.

Post up what you find out after making the switch. I would be interested!

Try more than 400 in the back.....you won't be disappointed. Pic bellow is what you get with the above setup at 11.6 MPH, half a tank of gas, just me in the boat and no wedge. (Image is backwards because I was playing with my new mirror). I use my wife as a measuring stick...She is 5'8" and when she surfs this wave it is consistently waist high. I have no gripes about the quality of the wave...just hoping to get similar results by swapping the 750 for the 1100 and deleting the 400.

Just ordered the 1100 and I'll post up the before and after pics when I get it.

14404590183_459a6c0a26_o.jpgIMG_20140608_130622 by FlickFest, on Flickr

Edited by SkiZilla
  • 2 weeks later...

So yes the W719 will fit in the VTX ski locker. Does it fill to capacity...as expected no.

14578513323_d95c3dfbd7_z.jpgIMG_20140628_204743 by FlickFest, on Flickr

It does however FILL the locker completely.

I am happy enough with the results to eliminate the 400lb bag from the surf set-up. With the 1100 bag full to locker capacity, the 340 under the seat and the MLS full (minus surf side rear) we get a similar wave as with the 750 llb bag and the 400 on the seat. The pic bellow is with the W719, no wedge, 1/4 tank of gas and just me in the boat at 11.2 mph. Its a little less crisp than the other wave but after we topped her off with fuel you are hard pressed to see or feel the difference.

14371809119_4f7c9783c8_z.jpgIMG_20140628_205043 by FlickFest, on Flickr

And just for a fair comparison the next picture is taken through the mirror again so the distortion is the same as the original picture posted earlier.

14557570412_894f252a15_z.jpgIMG_20140628_205056 by FlickFest, on Flickr

All in all I am happy. All my surf ballast is now plumbed in, no more bags on the seats and the wave is easy and fun to surf. Not bad for a little VTX.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you plumb the rear 1100 yourself? If so how difficult is was it to do? Any tips or how to's would be appreciated!

Yes I plumbed it in myself. Pretty easy once you work up the courage to drill the holes in the bottom and side of the boat.

Wavemakers offers kits....in my opinion the only way to go is with a revesable pump (Johnson or Jabsco). Plenty of install threads on this forum...have a look at the link bellow

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42101-2011-vtx-johnson-pump-1100-bags-install/?hl=1100

+1 on the reversible pumps. I messed around way too long with the piggyback system and wish I'd have gone reversible to begin with.

My wave got waaay better with extra weight in the bow on the VTX. I have a 900 in the rear locker and 300 under the seat on a Johnson pump, so probably a lot like yours. I added 160 in pop bags in the bow behind the panels where the grab handles are, then put 120 near the battery and put another 80 on the left side of the bow while surfing (and stow those two bags under the helm to even out the weight when not surfing). Lots and lots of push at over 10 feet back.

Now...disclaimer here. I don't trailer more than 2-3 times a year. The 160 of non-water weight in the front makes a huge difference in getting the boat on and off the trailer if you're not at a steep, deep launch.

Guys, I just plumbed a 450 Sumo to sit on the port side of the bow seating area. I plumbed another Johnson pump (with quick disconnects) to make filling and draining easier.

I did the 450 to leave some bow area if a kid wants up there, and sitting of the port side offsets the driver weight.

It made a decent improvement to the surf wave; it made an incredible difference in the wake board wave.