Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Platform

I've got a '98 teak swim platform that was negelected by the previous owner and my attempts at refurbishing it have been so-so.

Structurally it is sound but it looks very weathered. What's the right way to bring it back to a healthy luster?

Power wash? Belt sand? Chemicals?

What works best?

I suggest, power wash then a light sand to smooth the finish. Let dry 48 hours then plenty of teak oil.

I pressure wash mine. Be careful and don't put the tip too close to the platform, as you can cut the wood. I lightly sand with a palm sander, when dry and rub 3 coats of Amazon's Golden Teak oil into the Teak. I do this every year and platform looks new. Mine is sitting in the garage waiting for me to sand and Amazon oil right now.

I just followed directions on the website and what they send with the kit. You can call them too and they're pretty helpful.

There are a few threads on using Teak Guard...try a search and let us know if you still have questions. I went through the same process last year and the only additional step I had to take was to use some spray on paint remover because the old teak oil had hardened to a lacquer-type finish.

I found that the teak oil process is to short lived. I switched over to wood pro by west marine.

I love the fact that I get two years our ot this product and the teak looks great.

If you do not mind reapplying throughout the year go with the oil, if you want less work and a great look as well, try the above noted product!

I like Teak Guard for my old platform that's too weathered to be brought back to look new. It works better than oil in that situation.

I think HREMINGTON did a decent step by step post on MBO on using Teak Guard.

My '95 had an ugly platform when I got also. I had to repair it with a couple of new pieces of teak, then I belt sanded it to smooth out the gouges in it, followed by Te-Ka. Te-Ka is a two part cleaning system. This past winter I used the West Marine two part system. It was as good or better than the Te-Ka. Then some good oil and it looks great again for another season or two.

On vol 1 page 3 of my gallery you can see how it came out.

Edited by Sunsetter95
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished fixing up our platform for this year. We applied TeakGuard last year and it held up fine. Several scratches and worn areas but it lasted the summer.

I was nervous about having to re-finish it this year. Got out the TeakGuard cleaner and gave the platform a quick once-over and then applied some more TeakGuard. Results are awesome! The scratches and worn areas are blending right in with the rest of the platform.

The great part is I only have 30 minutes into cleaning it and less than an hour to re-apply the TeakGuard. No maintenance at all during the season (although it would have been easy to fill in the worn areas at that time too).

I'm totally sold on it for our boat...

On vol 1 page 3 of my gallery you can see how it came out.

Looks great. Nothing like a well-oiled woody. Right Hank? Hank? Where's HANK???

Used the TeakGuard last year. First attempt yielded a beautiful finish that had everyone slipping off of. Too dangerous. Sanded with a belt sander (50 grit), finished with the bronze wool, then reapplied the TeakGuard. Came out great. The only complaint I have is when the swim step gets wet, the colors are quite blotchy (very dark areas) as though there was no finish in some areas. I reapplied the Teak guard to those areas and looked great until it gets wet. Same problem. Also, when touching up worn areas, same problem. Looks great dry, but very uneven when wet. Am I being too anal? Any suggestions? Thinking of going back to teak oil!

Used the TeakGuard last year. First attempt yielded a beautiful finish that had everyone slipping off of. Too dangerous. Sanded with a belt sander (50 grit), finished with the bronze wool, then reapplied the TeakGuard. Came out great. The only complaint I have is when the swim step gets wet, the colors are quite blotchy (very dark areas) as though there was no finish in some areas. I reapplied the Teak guard to those areas and looked great until it gets wet. Same problem. Also, when touching up worn areas, same problem. Looks great dry, but very uneven when wet. Am I being too anal? Any suggestions? Thinking of going back to teak oil!

It sounds like you need to clean the wood better before applying teh TeakGuard. When my platform was wet after cleaning it, it looked nice and even in color. When I apply oil, it looks the same as it did wet.

I usually pressure wash (lightly) and bathe in the oil... Then I turn my attention to the platform. :)

Combination of pressure washing and Star Brite teak cleaner usually gets the nasty stuff off and leaves you with bare wood (another soft-ball lobbed right over the plate) to work with. From there, use oil or teak guard or whatever...

It sounds like you need to clean the wood better before applying teh TeakGuard. When my platform was wet after cleaning it, it looked nice and even in color. When I apply oil, it looks the same as it did wet.

Not trying to discount what you are saying but here are the steps that I took. Belt sanded, applied the Teak Guard cleaner (flushed with water to remove cleaner), bronze wool lightly to remove the "fuzz", 3+ coats of Teak Guard. Similar efforts when touching up (sand w/ 50-60 grit paper, I did skip the cleaner at this stage, bronze wool, reapply 3+ coats of Teak Guard. Looks awesome dry, but once in the water same blotchy look. What's up with that?

Not trying to discount what you are saying but here are the steps that I took. Belt sanded, applied the Teak Guard cleaner (flushed with water to remove cleaner), bronze wool lightly to remove the "fuzz", 3+ coats of Teak Guard. Similar efforts when touching up (sand w/ 50-60 grit paper, I did skip the cleaner at this stage, bronze wool, reapply 3+ coats of Teak Guard. Looks awesome dry, but once in the water same blotchy look. What's up with that?

When I first did my platform, I did the same belt sanding and scrubbing, but after that, I still used the cleaner. Sounds like a next year project. Play now, work on it later!