Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bu Service Shop Tried to Rip Me Off

Pondking

I deal with PWS and haven't had issues with the shop trying to screw me.

That said, my VLX is being dewinterized as we speak so I'll keep this in mind. I think I was told at the end of last season that the charge for winterization service included the dewinterization too.

Good or bad you have to tell us what happend when you pick picked up your boat.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pondking

• aneal000

• Tom Sawyer

• Baddog

This is not a defense of the dealer in question. If he actually tried to double dip on our member, then he's in the wrong, period.

Some dealers disconnect all of the hoses, pull the impeller, battery, etc., so if you aren't familiar with how that dealer's checklist goes, it might be a good idea to have them hook everything back up. I've seen the word "dewinterized" or "summerized" used & used to think the same as what's been said so far (put in the plug, blah blah blah), but after looking at a boat that had been winterized by our dealer, I'd probably have them summerize it just to be sure that everything was hooked up & done properly. I'm inclined to believe that it's not a good idea to recommend that someone that may or may not be mechanically inclined just put the plug in & go on a boat that they didn't winterize.

This is not a defense of the dealer in question. If he actually tried to double dip on our member, then he's in the wrong, period.

Some dealers disconnect all of the hoses, pull the impeller, battery, etc., so if you aren't familiar with how that dealer's checklist goes, it might be a good idea to have them hook everything back up.

In fact that is exactly the case here. The fact remains he tried to charge me twice. and lied when called on it.

I'm dyeing to here what happened to mechmaster when he went to get his VLX.

The only step I'd add to Aneal000's is:

Connect any disconnected water hoses.

Put any plugs back into block or re-install knock sensor.

Other than that, like he said, there really is no de-winterization. 2.5 hrs? How do those guys sleep at night?

i agree with doing all maintenance yourself. boats are extremely easy to work on, and you care a lot more about your boat than the service dept does.

ditto that!

My 'bu dealer leaves all the hoses connected so there is no de-winterization required. My buddy's Supra dealer, though, leaves everything disconnected and then charges $100 or something like that to de-winterize in the spring. I told my buddy to save his $ and we just did it ourselves.

I have to hope there's a good reason to leave the hoses disconnected otherwise every dealer that does this is doing it simply for what amounts to cash flow reasons.

Mike

Every dealer has their reasons for this I'm sure, but my pet peeve is that they charge people who aren't mechanically inclined to hook everything back up. That's wrong, they're putting these people in a spot to force them to come back. They should include the hookup as part of the winterization fee.

The only step I'd add to Aneal000's is:

Connect any disconnected water hoses.

Put any plugs back into block or re-install knock sensor.

Other than that, like he said, there really is no de-winterization. 2.5 hrs? How do those guys sleep at night?

If they need to hook up hoses, put the plugs back in, run the motor to make sure everything is alright, 2.5 hours doesn't seem that bad. If I were running a dealer, I would want to charge for all the time that I am doing anything involved with your boat. That includes me going out to the yard, getting the boat, putting it in the garage, uncovering it, doing the work, hooking up the fake a lake, running the engine for a little to make sure it's ok, unhooking everything, covering your boat back up, taking it back into the lot.

The dealer is paying the guys for all of the time they spend doing this, you don't think they want to be paid to cover this?

I realize for a lot of people, you think that this is easy work. But for a large number of people, who don't work on engines, they would rather a professional do this to ensure that everything is done correctly. A few hundred a year is better than paying a few grand for a new engine when someone who isn't sure what they're doing does something incorrectly.

Having said all that, I fully support that if the dealer said that the spring work is covered in the winterization, then they are in the wrong. But that's also why you always get everything in writing. Did you get a work report when you got the boat winterized?

When we winterize our boat the mechanic does the basic stuff. He also includes a free summerization...all he does is hook up the battery, run it using a fake a lake and check all the fluids/guages to make sure its all okay. Last summer we were lazy so we had him do the summerization, but this year I already had the batteries hooked up cause of my new stereo and I just made the short trip to the river and ran it while on the trailer (I really just wanted to start it up :) )

My VLX is in for some other work in addition to the summerization. Because of my schedule, I'll get the boat either tomorrow or Friday. I'll keep this thread posted.

In defense of PWS, I've been happy with the service I've gotten in the past; maybe a little expensive, but the work done properly nonetheless. While I can't comment on the particular exchange which caused this thread, I've dealt with the guy in question on several occations and been OK.

Having said all that, I fully support that if the dealer said that the spring work is covered in the winterization, then they are in the wrong. But that's also why you always get everything in writing. Did you get a work report when you got the boat winterized?

Yeah, I'm a stickler for keeping records on my cars and toys (great for resale) but I keep them in a file at work.

Bottom line, I'm a reasonable guy, I appreciate these guys have huge expenses and they are entitled to make a good living. Be fair and I'm a loyal customer for life. Try to screw me and I'm gone. I wont do business with people I don't trust. I will let everyone within my circle of influence know to be wary of the guys at Performance Water Sports. I'm not saying picket them or boycott them, that is your choice I made mine, just be aware of their business practices. RTFM.gif

Thanks for the support crew!!! This site is awesome...I hope I have the chance to reciprocate.

I deal with PWS and haven't had issues with the shop trying to screw me.

That said, my VLX is being dewinterized as we speak so I'll keep this in mind. I think I was told at the end of last season that the charge for winterization service included the dewinterization too.

Did they charge you again for de-winterization?

Or was the de-winterization free and they just charged you for summerization?

De-winterizing a Malibu: The 5 step way...

1) Put plug(s) in boat.

2) Put gas in boat.

3) Put boat in water.

4) Put key in ignition.

5) Start boat and go enjoy the rest of summer.

They tried to charge you for that -rotflmaopmp ROFL.gif

I realize dealers have to make money, but as long as they did the winterization properly their is not dewinterization.

Tony,

I hate to disagree, but I think it's actually a 6 step process. You forgot put beer in cooler. :)

7. You're going to wnat some ice with that aren't you?

IMHO - A dealer leaving hoses disconnected just so he can charge again to reconnect them in the Spring is bending the customer over a barrel big time.

There's absolutely no reason why hoses can't be reconnected and clamps tightened after everything is drained.

My .02

IMHO - A dealer leaving hoses disconnected just so he can charge again to reconnect them in the Spring is bending the customer over a barrel big time.

There's absolutely no reason why hoses can't be reconnected and clamps tightened after everything is drained.

My .02

Exactly!! You also don't want any type of varmint or anything crawling into your engine over the winter months either.

My .02

Exactly!! You also don't want any type of varmint or anything crawling into your engine over the winter months either.

Dang there Mr. Sawyer, you're making me laugh my a$$ off on this one and taking the words out of my mouth!

Notice I said in my 5 step process post that as long as it was winterized properly then their is no dewinterization process. While I think Tracie's comments are valid I gotta agree with the above two posts... dealers that leave hoses off and knock sensors out of blocks are doing it to make more money off the customers period.

Step 6 - :Doh:

pondking - it is unfortunate that they tried to screw you. I hope you can get to the owner and some how work it out so you have a good local shop. Hopefully it was an error in judgement.

In my opinion leaving the hoses off and plugs out is a way of protecting the dealer. Think about the guy that has his boat winterized in Sept. because he thinks he is done using it. Warm spell in Oct. he hooks everything back up and goes out. If he doesn't drain it properly then he is back at the dealer the next spring with "you didn't drain one side of my block, or my heater, or my shower".

My local dealer puts the impellor, plugs, and ignition keys in a baggie tied to the steering wheel, log the boats hours from the ECM or hour meter, disconnect the battery. All to combat the 2-3 times a year that they are accused of not winterizing properly. Reconnecting everything, charging the battery and running for at least half an hour is included. $385. They winterize 400+ boats a year.

Not including pondking in this statement or most if not all of the people on this site. There are a whole lot more bad customers out there than bad shops.

For the guys that think everyone can do there own work. My local shop replaces 6-10 motors a year, 12-15 exhaust manafolds and probably 20 each of shower pumps and heater cores from the DIYers. Not everyone is competent to do there own work or has the time to do it right.

Dwayne

My local dealer puts the impellor, plugs, and ignition keys in a baggie tied to the steering wheel, log the boats hours from the ECM or hour meter, disconnect the battery.

Dwayne

That's what the manual says to do.

My local dealer puts the impellor, plugs, and ignition keys in a baggie tied to the steering wheel, log the boats hours from the ECM or hour meter, disconnect the battery.

Dwayne

That's what the manual says to do.

Dwayne, you bring up good points. So the dealer now has a win-win, they protect themselves from the possibility of customer screwing up the winterization and they create a new profitable service.

And according to the number of idiot's out there, at least in your neck of the woods, it sounds like an expensive and scarry undertaking for the common man. Crazy.gif

In my opinion leaving the hoses off and plugs out is a way of protecting the dealer. Think about the guy that has his boat winterized in Sept. because he thinks he is done using it. Warm spell in Oct. he hooks everything back up and goes out. If he doesn't drain it properly then he is back at the dealer the next spring with "you didn't drain one side of my block, or my heater, or my shower".

My local dealer puts the impellor, plugs, and ignition keys in a baggie tied to the steering wheel, log the boats hours from the ECM or hour meter, disconnect the battery. All to combat the 2-3 times a year that they are accused of not winterizing properly. Reconnecting everything, charging the battery and running for at least half an hour is included. $385. They winterize 400+ boats a year.

Dwayne that is exactly what was done and I agree that it makes sense. Stusumm has a point about the varmits though. I had no concerns whatsoever until......

I hope you had your receipt with you to show you paid for the "de-winterization" in the fall.

Amen to that brotha.

If you have your receipt it should clearly show that you paid in advance for the "de-winterization". If it does not and you did pay for it, that's your fault for not checking the receipt before you left the shop in the fall.

If it does show that you paid, simply show the guy who's giving you the hard time (the co-owner) that it was pre-paid on the receipt, and there should be no problem.

If he still gives you grief, give em heck on this board.

Dwayne, you bring up good points. So the dealer now has a win-win, they protect themselves from the possibility of customer screwing up the winterization and they create a new profitable service.

I think the win -win is that they get you back to the shop to see all the new toys that you didn't have the year before. I really don't think that they care much for the whole summerize process.

And according to the number of idiot's out there, at least in your neck of the woods, it sounds like an expensive and scarry undertaking for the common man.

:) Most of the people in Colorado are not from Colorado. I'm not saying which coast they are from, but its a whole lot warmer than it is here. Its the same ones that can't drive in the snow, but still try. Surprised.gifMad.gif

pondking - The point of this thread was that someone was dishonest with you. I am glad that you called them on it. I still hope that they could make it right by you.

Dwayne

Edited by maliboo

I think the win -win is that they get you back to the shop to see all the new toys that you didn't have the year before. I really don't think that they care much for the whole summerize process.

Dwayne

I completely disagree with you, a well operated shop is extremely profitable for a dealer. Think about it, any time you're there they find this thing or that. The key is to get you in the shop. It's good business to bring you back for the de winterization because you just might ask them to check that steering cable or heater core while you are there. Not to mention waranty work.

Most shops are paying a guy $15-30/hr and charging you $70 or more plus markup on parts and shop supplies.

Build a loyal customer base and you've created a nice annuity.

And this guy scares me off the 2nd time I walk in his door. Go figure.

I wasn't trying to say that it doesn't make money or that they shouldn't do it. The summerize process is just hard to manage when you have all your new boats coming in and needing lights, speakers, covers, etc, etc. and those people want it now. No one likes to hear or say NO!!

I think it is much harder for seasonal dealerships because they can't staff up like they probably should. Its hard to keep 5 good mechs around for six months worth of work.

Good luck with Performance, I hope they do the honorable thing.

Dwayne