Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine Diesel

TTUWATERSKI

www.marinedieselusa.com

I am very interested in the claims that this company is making about their engines.

-perfect pass compatible

-30%-40% better fuel economy

-utilizes original engine mounts

I am not really a tech guy, but they have some graphs and stuff showing power curves.

Here is some specifications for the RLXI install that they did

Boat Model: Malibu Response LXi

Weight as Tested: 2700 Lbs

Drive System: ZF 1.20:1 Gear Ratio

Propellers: 14 x 23P

Cruise Speed: 43.6 Mph at 3000 Rpm

Top Seed: 52.3 Mph at 3600 Rpm

The prop pitch is extremely high compared to what I am used to thinking about. Is this becuase the engine produce far greater torque than a gas powered engine? Or is something wrong here?

www.marinedieselusa.com

I am very interested in the claims that this company is making about their engines.

-perfect pass compatible

-30%-40% better fuel economy

-utilizes original engine mounts

I am not really a tech guy, but they have some graphs and stuff showing power curves.

Here is some specifications for the RLXI install that they did

Boat Model: Malibu Response LXi

Weight as Tested: 2700 Lbs

Drive System: ZF 1.20:1 Gear Ratio

Propellers: 14 x 23P

Cruise Speed: 43.6 Mph at 3000 Rpm

Top Seed: 52.3 Mph at 3600 Rpm

The prop pitch is extremely high compared to what I am used to thinking about. Is this becuase the engine produce far greater torque than a gas powered engine? Or is something wrong here?

I think I had a 14X11.5 on our LXi when I sold it. Man that 23 is steep. But look at the tranny, it is 1.20:1 not 1:1 like a normal DD. BICBW....

Diesel looks promising but, but how often do you see diesel @ the marina????

Pat

I don't like paying the inflated gas prices at marinas so I always take my boat out of the water or fill up 5 gallon cans. I do not sotre the boat at a marina so I guess if you were "trapped" at the lake with no trailer you would have more difficulty filling the boat with diesel. If you take your boat out of the water you could buy off-road diesel which is usually $.20-$.40 cheaper.

If you had a 1.20:1 gear ratio on a Monsoon would the engine not have enough torque to turn the gears?

Marine Diesel claims that the superchrged engine is about the same db as a big block V8. Monsoon seems loud to me, and it is a small block.

I don't like paying the inflated gas prices at marinas so I always take my boat out of the water or fill up 5 gallon cans. I do not sotre the boat at a marina so I guess if you were "trapped" at the lake with no trailer you would have more difficulty filling the boat with diesel. If you take your boat out of the water you could buy off-road diesel which is usually $.20-$.40 cheaper.

If you had a 1.20:1 gear ratio on a Monsoon would the engine not have enough torque to turn the gears?

Marine Diesel claims that the superchrged engine is about the same db as a big block V8. Monsoon seems loud to me, and it is a small block.

Gear redux is used in Malibu vdrives (all of them) & they are propped accordingly, so this isn't an issue. As for the noise, the RLXI comes with standard mufflers not Silent Riders, & most who have experience with other brands will say that Malibu doesn't make the quietest boat in the industry (even when outfitted with Silent Riders). I'd be curious as to which big block they are comparing with & in which boat since a Nautique will be drastically quieter than a Malibu.

My opinion - this could be promising, but I think that most of what we see on this site is marketing & propaganda. If it seems too good to be true.... ;)

First of all I am a huge proponent of diesel engines. I believe they are a fantastic source of power and efficiency. That being said, I see two problems with this setup.

First is the GM 6.5 liter engine. Maybe I'm the only one with a background in heavy truck/equipment repair on this site. If so, let me tell you that this is absolutely one of the worst engines ever built. Just about every pickup that comes into our shop with one of these needs a replacement. Now, with the war going on, it's difficult to even get rebuilds because the government has bought most of the cores to rebuild for the hummers.

Second is the weight. They are using a 6.5 because of it's light weight. If you use a "good" engine (Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins) the weight will be a significant factor in a slalom boat. I guess you wakeboarders wouldn't mind though.

bareftskier,

Hearing your experience with this engine while discouraging is really helpful. The only experience I have with diesel is what I have read in researching this company and my crackpot biodiesel aspirations. I think they chose the 6.5L because it can fit in the same space as the monsoon and utilize the original engine mounts. Seems like for a Duramax, powerstroke, cummins you would have to modify the motor box. Not really an option for me.

I talked with a sales rep at Marine Diesel and got some numbers.

The 300HP Hammerhead will run about $22,000. How much does a monsoon cost? about 16,00?

The engine is shipped to your boat dealer and the dealer has to install it.

2 year warranty, although not sure who would honor it.

The original transmission can be utilized.

I am trying to find out if Malibu will sell a boat with no engine in it. I do not want to have to pull the original motor and try to sell it. Even if they will sell me a boat with no engine in it I doubt the cost will be offset enough for my team to afford the diesel. My local dealer said he would look in to it though.

As far has having good service work, in Lubbock there is no such thing as a boat mechanic. They are mostly tractor mechanics with limited experience with inbord boats. Maybe they will feel more comfortable working on a diesel engine.

Not sure where to go from here. Hopefully Malibu will have a good diesel option for '07.

This boat is for the Texas Tech Wakeboard and Waterski Team. Maybe I can work some sort of promotional deal and get the engine in exchange for some direct marketing. It is geting very hard to afford $6 ski sets and $8 wakeboard sets on a college budget. I had this crazy idea that we could get a diesel boat and then make biodiesel for it so that our members could save money.

Edited by TTUWATERSKI
Not sure where to go from here. Hopefully Malibu will have a good diesel option for '07.

They wont, according to one of the factory guys I talked to.

I found out how warranty work is to be carried out. Whoever does the installation for you must accept becoming a Marine Diesel dealer and honor any warranty work.

Looks like if I am wanting to get a diesel with manufacturer's warranty I will need to switch to Session. :(

I agree that's why they chose that motor...it's still a POS. Like I said, I really like diesel powerplants. But, I haven't seen an American diesel engine that I would want in my boat, all things considered. There are some out there, but they're way too exotic for a ski boat. The cost/benefit thing would not work.

Just my $0.02

bareftskier is right, that 6.5L is a POS. Wrong engine for a good idea. I spoke with Marine Diesel about the application a year or so ago, and while I applaud the efforts, their reasoning of using a "new, different 6.5L" is not sufficent for me.

Me, I'm waiting to drop in the VW marine diesel.

http://195.20.227.115/vwm/index.php?id=2&L...enginesheet_pi1[engine]=20

4691b25e68.jpg

Peter

SmoothWaterMan,

What is the conversion of newtonmeter to foot pounds?

That seems like an excellent engine to drop in a slalom boat.

The 225hp would probably be plenty for many wakeboard applications given that max torque is achieved at 2000 rpms.

I would like to see a really big, heavy, powerfull diesel dropped in an LSV or 24.7. Seems like only with the power a diesel can offer would these boats reach their true wake producing potential.

SmoothWaterMan,

What is the conversion of newtonmeter to foot pounds?

That seems like an excellent engine to drop in a slalom boat.

The 225hp would probably be plenty for many wakeboard applications given that max torque is achieved at 2000 rpms.

I would like to see a really big, heavy, powerfull diesel dropped in an LSV or 24.7. Seems like only with the power a diesel can offer would these boats reach their true wake producing potential.

Google will convert nearly anything for you: in the search bar type: "1 newton meter in foot pounds"

it returns:

1 newton meter = 0.737562149 foot pounds

I like that VW diesel too. They claim it weighs LESS than the Monsoon = bonus for us low liners. Tongue.gif

I read about a new mastercraft converted to diesel on a different forum. He did some side by side testing with a gas powered X-star and out accellerated the gas boat when they were both were heavily ballested. I haven't been able to find that thread yet but here's an interesting old article form a service member in Korea that boarded behind a 4 cylinder diesel. http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=35

Peter, that's exactly the type of powerplant I was imagining. Audi/VW has the background and knowledge to do it. The price may be not so appealing...Can you imagine what the Tourag V10 twin turbo diesel would be like...Wow.

They do have the knowledge for it, but one thing that a VW/Audi engine is not is forgiving. They tend to be highly tuned & have to have good quality gas, everything has to be just so for them to run right. Don't get me wrong, I'm an Audi/VW nut, but IMO American muscle (whether it's gas or diesel) has the edge in terms of the abuse that an engine in one of these boats will take & continue to run reliably. I doubt that the Audi/VW product would. People that are used to American muscle wouldn't like how picky these engines can be.

For the record, I've owned 3 VWs & 2 Audis (1 of which is sitting in the garage). The Chevy tow rig (& every other American tow rig that we've owned for that matter) would probably run on year old gas that sat out all winter, while the Audi would probably gag on gas that's a month old & treated with Stabil (okay, maybe that was an exaggeration, but it's not far off).