Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine running out of water

Yesterday after I drove the boat up on the trailer after a flawless day at the lake, I forgot to turn the engine off when we drove up the ramp (the music was loud, the engine was quiet), resulting in the engine being on (in neutral) out of the water at the very most for 3-5 seconds. :blush: Yeah, I know, that was pretty dumb. You think that it might have hurt the engine? I dont think that it did, but we are taking it in for its 20 hour check up this week, should we ask the dealer to check it out?

the biggest risk you have is your impeller. I doubt you did anything wrong with the exception of that. Easy to look at, four screws and look, or purchase one and keep it in the glove box.

No worries. 3-5 minutes would have been a problem, but not a few seconds. This is a good time to get an extra impeller and keep one on board as a spare. Better safe than sorry on a Saturday morning.

Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV...

The impeller pulls water in from the lake and feeds it to the water pump. It sits at the front of the engine. If you trace the incoming water line from the through-hull to the front of the engine you'll find a fitting the hose fits onto. Another hose leaves that fitting. This is the impeller housing. Remove the four screws and the cover plate. You'll see the impeller (black rubber fins/arms attached to a brass core).

It's a good idea to have a spare impeller around in case yours gives out when you're out in the boat. The impeller is a $20 - $25 part and without it the engine cannot get water for cooling.

Regards,

Mike

The impeller will be at the stern end of your engine inside of the raw water pump. It is what pumps the water to cool your engine. They are rubber/plastic and not designed to run dry. They will burn up without water for obvious reasons. Keep a spare on board because when they wear out they generally trash themselves leaving you on the lake with no means of cooling the engine, er...getting back to the ramp.

FYI to anyone reading this thread, I am not certain of all the Malibu models but on the models with the center mount engine, the impeller is in the front of the engine, right behind the front pylon.

FYI to anyone reading this thread, I am not certain of all the Malibu models but on the models with the center mount engine, the impeller is in the front of the engine, right behind the front pylon.

Its in the front on v-drives too - its just that the engine is in backwards

Easy to look at, four screws and look, or purchase one and keep it in the glove box.

Don't build his hopes up to much he has a Vdrive not an easy thing to do.

Easy to look at, four screws and look, or purchase one and keep it in the glove box.

Don't build his hopes up to much he has a Vdrive not an easy thing to do.

Well then. This just might be the impetus he needs to correct his grievous error in buying a backwards boat. At the 20 hour check, just tell the dealer to keep the boat and drive out of there with a proper DD.

Actually, I enjoy working on my V-drive. Changing the impeller out takes a contortionist with a mirror about 3 hours...or you could hire a midget. If I could only meet the Malibu engineer who planned the engine plumbing layout Guns.gif - which usually blocks any attempt to be able to turn a wrench more than 10 degrees Mad.gif It is just so rewarding to be able to lay down on top of your engine, working blind, trying to fit a wrench over a nut Ranting.gif

re running dry, I'm guess the impeller runs dry for a couple of seconds until it primes every first start of the day

Man will you Vdrive guys EVER stop complaining about chaning your impellers .....

Actually...its so easy, a caveman could do it.

Biggrin.gif

3-5 seconds won't hurt an impeller or the motor. Especially if he just pulled it out of the water.

I used to think changing v-drive impellers were a pain, that was until I found the ones on Malibu Dreamin' over the weekend Cry.gif

Man will you Vdrive guys EVER stop complaining about chaning your impellers .....

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

For some reason I comforting feeling seeing you laugh at this statement while you sport a Duran Duran avatar.

Tongue.gif

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

For some reason I comforting feeling seeing you laugh at this statement while you sport a Duran Duran avatar.

Tongue.gif

Well it's certainly better that owning a wally boat, sipping white wine, and listening to Merle Haggard. Tongue.gif

Well it's certainly better that owning a wally boat, sipping white wine, and listening to Merle Haggard. Tongue.gif

That might be funny if ANY of those were true.

ROFL.gif

Wally Boat vs. Yacht???

White Wine vs. Ice Cold Beer???

Merle Haggard who-tf is that???

Edited by aneal000

That might be funny if ANY of those were true.

ROFL.gif

Wally Boat vs. Yacht???

White Wine vs. Ice Cold Beer???

Merle Haggard who-tf is that???

This is a REAL yacht Biggrin.gif

fea_custom_525x280.jpg

You're probably more of the box wine type Crazy.gif

You’re probably more of a MJ listener…lol