Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

320 HP LCR

srab

Hey all. New to this site and new to inboards. I've been around I/O's my whole life. Now, family of 4 (kids are 13 and 10). We mostly slalom ski, but the kids started to wakeboard at the end of last season. We ski a crowded public lake, but we can find nice water if we're on the lake at sunrise.

I went to the Malibu demo day and am leaning heavily towards a Sunscape 21 LSV. If ordering, I'd get the Monsoon upgrade, but the local dealer has two 2006 boats in his showroom with the LCR engine and he's willing to deal. He says that the 320 LCR is a good engine for this boat. And, since there are no ballast tanks and we typically have fewer than five people on our boat, I'm thinking maybe so. But, another Malibu dealer in our area says that he never orders a 21.5 ft. boat without at least the Monsoon upgrade. And, when searching the used market (boattrader, craigslist, et al), it's rare to find this boat without the upgrade.

I read an earlier thread on this forum from Feb.-March re: the 320 vs. 340 HP engines in an RLXi, and it seemed, on the whole, relatively neutral. But, the Sunscape, at 3500 lbs., is a heavier boat.

So, I guess I need your opinions. Am I going to be disappointed with the LCR engine in this boat?

Disappointed.....probably not. Wishful that you got the Monsoon instead....most likely. There are people here that would tell you that you should even look at the Hammerhead. I have the Monsoon and I had it in the previous boat before and you can't go wrong. My dealer orders the Monsoon standard in all their stock boats as well. While there will be an obvious delay in ordering a boat, you'd at least get it the way you want. Don't know what your location is, but try to find another dealer as well that might have a stock boat that will fit what your looking for. You are gonna have lots of questions when moving up to this type of boat and there is no better place than here to get those answers or advice. Welcome to the site and good luck.

My '01 Sunsetter VLX is nearly the same boat as that one, and I think the Monsoon in mine is about the same as the modern LCRs in terms of the HP numbers. I don't know about the power curves. I find it sufficient to push around a full boat and pull skiers, but the '05 and '06 boats are a few hundred pounds heavier, and if the kids are just now getting into wakeboarding, expect them to get more into it. I'd lean heavily to the monsoon. For resale if nothing else. I can't believe the dealer would order a floor model without one.

Then again, if it drives fine by your experience, and the dealer is going to cut you a great deal. I wouldn't walk away from it either.

Does anyone know for sure that the LCR would not have what it takes (correctly propped) on the low end for a 21' crossover boat?

If I were ordering a boat, the Monsoon would get the call. No questions about it. It is a great engine. Not that the LCR isn't. However, if a dealer had the boat that I wanted and the LCR was the only hickup, I don't think I would let that get in my way. Especially if he is willing to deal. The LCR is efi after all. Its not like a few years ago when the base engine was a carbie. And the Monsoon in my SLXi is 325 hp and I have more than enough ponies to rip arms out of socket. Resale might be your biggest issue. The Monsoon has a heck of a reputation.

Also, would you be able to get a new 06 ordered and built in time?

That is just my .02 Isn't it great telling others how to spend their coin? Yahoo.gif

Get the hammerhead! Biggrin.gif But seriously, the LCR should have plenty of power for you right now. My only thinking is what if your kids get good at wakeboarding and want you to get a bunch of ballast? How is the LCR going to do vs. the monsoon when its loaded down? Also, you can always re-prop the boat if your family ends up just doing a bunch of boarding and loads the boat up with ballast. Just remember that you cannot have too much power!

BTW Welcome.gif

I think it's all relative. If you're coming from an I/O, the LCR will still blow you away. And frankly, I don't think it hurts your resale too bad, as sunscape buyers....typically...are not the ones who NEED the power that the monsoon/HH would put out. Also remember that the sunscape is a "lighter" riding hull than a VLX, so the performance of the SS with an LCR might match that of a VLX with Monsoon.

Welcome to the site srab.

If you've got to have the boat right now, get the best deal you can on a floor model & go be happy with the boat. If you can wait a bit, order one. You can get exactly what you want that way (not just the engine, but colors & other options). Either way, you'll be happy with the boat.

I think it's all relative. If you're coming from an I/O, the LCR will still blow you away. And frankly, I don't think it hurts your resale too bad, as sunscape buyers....typically...are not the ones who NEED the power that the monsoon/HH would put out. Also remember that the sunscape is a "lighter" riding hull than a VLX, so the performance of the SS with an LCR might match that of a VLX with Monsoon.

Good points JD. I'd add that you should fill the boat up with how you intend to use it. Then you'll have a real world feel if the LCR is enough for your applications. As LN stated the 325 HP Monsoon in our SLXI's does a great job and I've never have a problem with the power. Do I want more sure, but I can't say it’s absolutely necessary. However to save a few bucks and then wish later you got the Monsoon or HH, which would be an expensive sacrifice. Again test drive it how you intend to use it and include future uses to see if it meets your expectations. Oh, welcome to the Crew, the perpetually spending water crazy enthusiasts.

Hi welcome to the site i just finished my first long weekend on the lake we have a 21.5 monson 340 hp with 3/4 tank fuel my top end is 42 we have a 2006 sunscape loaded with tower and all we love the boat when we got ours i asked about the motor my dealer does not recomand the lcr he says does not have the performance that the 340 does. his boat has the hammerhead and said ther is not that much differance between the two . heren is how i looked at it if i have 6-8 people in the boat i want enought power to do what i want. especially when we pay this much for our new boats would rather have more power than not enought . what if you meet a fellow bu owner that wants to barefoot you will need to be at 42 long line. good luck were are glade we went with the 340 hp

And, when searching the used market (boattrader, craigslist, et al), it's rare to find this boat without the upgrade.

Wasn't last year ('05) the first year of the LCR? If so, stands to reason that most used boats have the Monsoon. Many of those have a HP rating similar to the LCR.

I was in the same spot as you when I went to buy my boat last year. I wanted the Monsoon but they didn't have any in stock and they where willing to deal on the VLX with the LCR. I've had it full of ballast and 11 people with the wedge down and it did great. With PP going it held with in .2 of what we had set and it pulled us right out of the water with no problems. When then switched to surfing we had Zero problems and it held our speed right where we had it set.

The LCR is the old Monsoon. No way you can tell the difference between the 2 if your behind the boat.

Thanks to all of y'all for the input. It's given me more to think about. I wasn't aware that the LCR was first available in '05, and it's heartening to hear that the LCR is adequate for the VLX.

The dealer also has a Sunscape 23 LSV, this one with the 340 HP Monsoon. But, with a boat roughly 9% heavier driven by an engine with roughly 6% more horsepower, seems I'd be "in the same boat," figuratively [and almost literally!] speaking.

The dealer has made a tempting offer [not sure whether it would be appropriate here to discuss exactly how tempting]. May need to demo again, this time with the family and maybe a couple of friends.

As a kid, my father gave me some very very good advice, he said get the biggest motor your boat can leagaly handle. That is advice that has served me well over the years. i just can't see paying thousands of $, and to always be thinking if I just had paid a few more to get the Monsoon or even the HH. Also if you intend to do much barefooting, the monsoon or HH would be better. GOod luck, I am sure you will make the correct decision for you.