Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Problem with rear seat

DUKENO1

Just wanted to know if anyone has come across a similar issue. I have a new 06 v-Ride and it has been great so far...just finished the break-in period. The only issue I have had so far concerns the rear seat cushion that covers the v-drive section. When ever someone puts a foot or knee or any weight on one of the rear corners of this cushion it falls into the v-drive compartment. Basically which ever corner you put weight on kinda caves in, kicking the front of the cushion up. Not a big deal and something that I will address with the dealer when I take it in for it's first service...just wondering what the deal-io is and if anyone else has seen this. Looks to me like the fiberglass "lip" that the rear part of the cushion rests on needs to be about another inch longer which would support the seat better.

Thanks for any help!

Tim

Edited by DUKENO1

I don't know if the v-rides are any different than the wakesetters but there might be two things you can do or have your dealer do.

The first which relates to my issue and might be the same for you is that the tray in that section does not allow the seat to sit flat. Basically, the nubs that hold the seat in place rest on top of it causing it not to be as stable as it could be. I cut out the lip sections in the front out of the tray where the nubs were resting and now it sits perfectly.

The second option might be to move all four nubs forward just slightly so that a little more pressure is put on the back side to prevent it from losing its hold. Does that make sense?

Just wanted to know if anyone has come across a similar issue. I have a new 06 v-Ride and it has been great so far...just finished the break-in period. The only issue I have had so far concerns the rear seat cushion that covers the v-drive section. When ever someone puts a foot or knee or any weight on one of the rear corners of this cushion it falls into the v-drive compartment. Basically which ever corner you put weight on kinda caves in, kicking the front of the cushion up. Not a big deal and something that I will address with the dealer when I take it in for it's first service...just wondering what the deal-io is and if anyone else has seen this. Looks to me like the fiberglass "lip" that the rear part of the cushion rests on needs to be about another inch longer which would support the seat better.

Thanks for any help!

Tim

Check to see if the plastic "blocks" are attached to the bottom of the seat. On my '02, one seat was missing the blocks and the seat fell in just as you described. One I attached the replacement blocks the seat was as stable as all the others. Mike

I don't know if the v-rides are any different than the wakesetters but there might be two things you can do or have your dealer do.

The first which relates to my issue and might be the same for you is that the tray in that section does not allow the seat to sit flat. Basically, the nubs that hold the seat in place rest on top of it causing it not to be as stable as it could be. I cut out the lip sections in the front out of the tray where the nubs were resting and now it sits perfectly.

The second option might be to move all four nubs forward just slightly so that a little more pressure is put on the back side to prevent it from losing its hold. Does that make sense?

What you are saying makes sense but my boat does not have a tray under the seat. When you lift the seat you can see the v-drive/tranny. I like the tray idea and wouldn't mind having that but not sure if that is avaiable for a v-ride.

!

Check to see if the plastic "blocks" are attached to the bottom of the seat. On my '02, one seat was missing the blocks and the seat fell in just as you described. One I attached the replacement blocks the seat was as stable as all the others. Mike

My seat has plastic blocks in the front...basically to install the seat you put the front part of the seat with the blocks in first and then push down the back part. The problem is the back part of the seat rests on about a one inch ledge of plastic. Any weight at all on the rear of the seat and the seat slips off of the ledge and falls into the tranny area. If the ledge was another inch or two longer it would probably support it sufficiently. I am not sure if I am explaining the problem clearly or not. I will try to take some pics whenever my digital camera returns from it's carribean cruise that I am not on!!

My seat has plastic blocks in the front...basically to install the seat you put the front part of the seat with the blocks in first and then push down the back part. The problem is the back part of the seat rests on about a one inch ledge of plastic. Any weight at all on the rear of the seat and the seat slips off of the ledge and falls into the tranny area. If the ledge was another inch or two longer it would probably support it sufficiently. I am not sure if I am explaining the problem clearly or not. I will try to take some pics whenever my digital camera returns from it's carribean cruise that I am not on!!

I do understand what your saying and there is obviously a difference between our boats. In your case, the best thing might be to move the blocks under the seat a bit more forward which would move the seat backwards slightly to get more seat area onto the fiberglass area.

Do the plastic blocks on the seat cushion sit behind or in front of the support?

I have a different boat but the plastic blocks on our cushions sit behind the support and effectively lock it in place. There's no way the cushion can slide forward and fall off the rear support. If yours is sliding forward it may be that the blocks need to be moved farther forward to make the seat press back against the rear support.

In any case, it sounds like something the dealer should be able to fix. There's got to be an adjustment they can tweak.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Do the plastic blocks on the seat cushion sit behind or in front of the support?

I have a different boat but the plastic blocks on our cushions sit behind the support and effectively lock it in place. There's no way the cushion can slide forward and fall off the rear support. If yours is sliding forward it may be that the blocks need to be moved farther forward to make the seat press back against the rear support.

In any case, it sounds like something the dealer should be able to fix. There's got to be an adjustment they can tweak.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I am not sure but will check this today. Thanks for the tip!

by a direct drive and that wont happen :-)

But then I would keep tripping over that funny hump in the middle!

Spoke with the dealer and he said that Malibu has some sort of brace that is supposed to correct the issue.

I will have it done at the first service.

Thanks for any help!

Tim

DUKENO1,

I have an 06' v-ride and the rear seat over the tranny does the same thing. The one in the corner where the cooler is also does the same thing. I keep my boat on a lift and that cooler cushion is the one I step on the most, and it caves into the cooler all the time. I only have 9 hours on mine and am sceduled to take mine in for 10 hour service this friday so what did your dealer tell you they could do? I want to let my dealer know before I go. thanks

Tim

DUKENO1,

I have an 06' v-ride and the rear seat over the tranny does the same thing. The one in the corner where the cooler is also does the same thing. I keep my boat on a lift and that cooler cushion is the one I step on the most, and it caves into the cooler all the time. I only have 9 hours on mine and am sceduled to take mine in for 10 hour service this friday so what did your dealer tell you they could do? I want to let my dealer know before I go. thanks

Buggs

Apparently the problem is recognized by Malibu because, according to my dealer, there is a fix in the form of some sort of brace. My dealer said that they have the braces in stock. I am not sure how it works. My guess is that it mounts somewhere on the rear of the tranny opening allowing more surface area for the seat to rest on, but who knows? I haven't noticed a problem with the seat over the cooler...I will have to check that one next time out. Any other problems found with your new boat? Mine has been pretty solid so far except for the seat deal which is really just an annoyance more than anything else.

I was told by my dealer that they usually do the first service at around 20 hours. I went ahead and changed my oil this past weekend since I am at 10 hrs. Pretty easy to do...I made myself a fake-a-lake since I don't have the ability to drop her in the water as easily as you! Cry.gif

Tim

DUKENO1,

Buggs

Apparently the problem is recognized by Malibu because, according to my dealer, there is a fix in the form of some sort of brace. My dealer said that they have the braces in stock. I am not sure how it works. My guess is that it mounts somewhere on the rear of the tranny opening allowing more surface area for the seat to rest on, but who knows? I haven't noticed a problem with the seat over the cooler...I will have to check that one next time out. Any other problems found with your new boat? Mine has been pretty solid so far except for the seat deal which is really just an annoyance more than anything else.

I was told by my dealer that they usually do the first service at around 20 hours. I went ahead and changed my oil this past weekend since I am at 10 hrs. Pretty easy to do...I made myself a fake-a-lake since I don't have the ability to drop her in the water as easily as you! Cry.gif

Thanks for the info and I will call my dealer and let him know I need the braces for the seat also. The seats falling in and my speed control will not hold or go as low as wakesurfing speeds in the MPH mode. I tried that speed with the RPM mode on and it worked fine. After my friday trip to the dealers for the 10 hour maintenance and I will be wakesurfing every day I get the chance!!. My dealer told me 10 hours is when the checkup is and thats what is in the manual, but every dealer is different. My boat also needs a little gelcoat repair where the tie down straps hit the transom beside the platform mount. When the boat was shipped from the factory to the dealer the bucket made an indention at the corner of the boat about the size of a dime and into the boat about 1/8". You can hardly see it but they are also having that repaired at the same time. I see you are from Charlotte, I work in Durham, N.C. but live in Clarksville VA. You are not to far from me. I go to Charlotte about 4 times a year for car shows and auctions at and near the speedway. How does that fake a lake work? I was going to do that once on my old boat but I never did. My new boat has a transom mounted fluch kit because my dealer is in Virginia Beach and he orders all his boats like that. It is very nice and easy. Later

Thanks for the info and I will call my dealer and let him know I need the braces for the seat also. The seats falling in and my speed control will not hold or go as low as wakesurfing speeds in the MPH mode. I tried that speed with the RPM mode on and it worked fine. After my friday trip to the dealers for the 10 hour maintenance and I will be wakesurfing every day I get the chance!!. My dealer told me 10 hours is when the checkup is and thats what is in the manual, but every dealer is different. My boat also needs a little gelcoat repair where the tie down straps hit the transom beside the platform mount. When the boat was shipped from the factory to the dealer the bucket made an indention at the corner of the boat about the size of a dime and into the boat about 1/8". You can hardly see it but they are also having that repaired at the same time. I see you are from Charlotte, I work in Durham, N.C. but live in Clarksville VA. You are not to far from me. I go to Charlotte about 4 times a year for car shows and auctions at and near the speedway. How does that fake a lake work? I was going to do that once on my old boat but I never did. My new boat has a transom mounted fluch kit because my dealer is in Virginia Beach and he orders all his boats like that. It is very nice and easy. Later

Did you go through Cutting Edge Watersports? Just curious because I don't believe ours has the transom flush kit, but we special ordered ours, so that's probably why.

Did you go through Cutting Edge Watersports? Just curious because I don't believe ours has the transom flush kit, but we special ordered ours, so that's probably why.

Yes i worked with Doug at Cutting Edge watersports. Have you already recieved your boat? If not I bet you it will come with it. At first I said no I dont need it because I will never put it in Salt/brackish water but I still think its great for winterization purposes. I am on my way there in the morning for my first maintenance, and hope fully be surfing at the beach all day while I am waiting for them to get done. I hope the waves are decent so I have something to do. I was talking to Doug on the phone the other day when he was delivering a boat to Lake Anna, was that you? talk to you later.