Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X tower speaker wiring

MystiikVLX

Any advice on replacing the stock speaker wires in an Illusion x tower as it came wired on a Malibu 2007?

I don't know how the wires are run, series parallel etc and would like to pull them and put in new since I'm going from 4 tower speakers to 2.

Can I just use the current wires to pull the new ones or is that asking for trouble?

Take off the speakers. Tape your new wires to the old ones. Pull old wire from bottom of the tower base. Make sure you tape them together real good.

Malibu didn't go through the front hoop to bring wire from the driverside to the passenger side did they? I am rewiring my tower now and just pulled off the old Titan cans and I think they went down each side and didn't take the driver side wire around.

Would you guys stick to this setup or should I take the driverside wire across the front of the tower and down the passenger side along with the passenger side speaker wire?

I am running wet wire in 12awg size. SYN4 amp will be in the observer seat locker against the wall if I can mount up some mounting blocks.

Thanks

Edited by black06VLX

Do you use the old wires to pull a string thru and then use the string to pull the new wire?

If you used the old wire to attach and pull the new wire, how did you tie them together to prevent them from coming apart?

Do you use the old wires to pull a string thru and then use the string to pull the new wire?

If you used the old wire to attach and pull the new wire, how did you tie them together to prevent them from coming apart?

To run from the driverside to the passenger side through the front hoop portion of the tower I used a 1/4" wire fish. Hooked the negative line on the 12AWG wire through the fish hook and taped the heck out of the wire to the fish and pulled that side through. Other side I just taped the new wire to the old wire and pulled it comes easy on the passenger side. Use about 4-6" of overlap with the wires and tape that up tight.

• 4 years later...

I finally got the wire through by stripping off the outer jacket. 4 x 14 awg speaker wire pairs barely fit. No idea how someone would fit 12 awg through there. 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:16 PM, nwwakesurf said:

How did you guys get the large gauge wire through the small hole in the bracket where the tower attaches to the boat?

Remove it and open the hole up. 

1 hour ago, nwwakesurf said:

No idea how someone would fit 12 awg through there. 

Not sure of your setup, but why could you not use single 12/4? If 4 pair are needed, fish both sides of the tower. 

The hole went through the metal bracket that holds the tower on. Not sure how easy it would be to drill through that metal or whether it would be advisable. Also didn’t appear to be any way to get an angle for a drill without completely removing the tower. 

I thought about running wire up each side but factory and most of the people posting run all the speaker wires up the port side tower. Not sure if there is a reason for that but I stuck with the factory approach. 12/4 might have done it. I used separate twisted pairs for each speaker. 

My speakers came from factory connected using snap plugs.  Should I do the same with the new ones or should I just twist the wires together, solder them and heat shrink over it? Or is there another option?

No answers again.  I tried the snap plugs but had a lot of trouble fitting them through the hole in the tower. So I am going with twisting and soldering.  Hope that helps someone else.