Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rock Tamers

With our dealer being a couple hundrerd miles from our lake house we will be towing more than we ever have before. I really want to keep the rock chips down on our new Axis/trailer and have been reading various threads on rock tamers. This style seemed to come up often and I just wanted to get opinions on these and if there is anything else I need to consider. Thanks for the help.

A bunch of us participated in a group buy a few years ago & had some custom mud flaps made that say Malibu on them. Then we all made them work on whatever trucks we own. I just took a piece of angle iron as long as the truck is wide, drilled holes at either end & use a pair of padlocks to secure it on the end of the truck frame rails, which is a couple inches in front of the rear bumper. I only use them on longer trips, but they definitely makes a difference to the trailer & boat if you tow a lot.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I got them (rock tamers) last year when we purchased a black bottom boat. I think they do a good job and are easily removed. I recommend them.

Edit: Here is a picture of them on my truck just before we left for a 5.5 hrs drive.

post-4451-0-74461900-1401222318_thumb.jp

Edited by Cory

I've always been able to find them for sale on Craigslist.

Just a matter of whether or not the seller will ship and, if you're willing to send money.

Good call on the flaps, you will save your trailer and lower hull. Did not have them on my first boat and when I sold it the trailer had a bunch of little chips on it. I just added on to my existing flaps, I have a Toyota sequoia. I take them off in the winter months, so far not a single chip in my trailer or boat hull.

I went the $14 route from Autozone.

Mudflap1_reduced_zps75dee461.jpg

Good call on the flaps, you will save your trailer and lower hull. Did not have them on my first boat and when I sold it the trailer had a bunch of little chips on it. I just added on to my existing flaps, I have a Toyota sequoia. I take them off in the winter months, so far not a single chip in my trailer or boat hull.

I went the $14 route from Autozone.

Mudflap1_reduced_zps75dee461.jpg

I'm not sure if that is Macgyver or ghetto! ;)

You should be able to get heavy duty factory flaps for your truck and not have to cobble anything together or have one of those huge things hanging off the back of the truck.

These ones are just the Ram HD rubber flaps on my truck. Pretty cheap and they work great

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3LJE6U/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007NTDY4U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AMW1CRYHHRJH3P4WVQJ

post-22501-0-08539500-1401224402_thumb.j

Edited by oldjeep

I just don't think I want them to be on the truck all the time and that is purely from an aesthetics point of view. I like the rock tamers because I can put them on and take them off when needed. At the same time I don't want to cobble something together. Just want something that looks nice and protects the boat.

I just don't think I want them to be on the truck all the time and that is purely from an aesthetics point of view. I like the rock tamers because I can put them on and take them off when needed. At the same time I don't want to cobble something together. Just want something that looks nice and protects the boat.

I agree. That's why I cobbled together something that was secure & didn't wobble back & forth as I was driving down the road. Looks great. Works even better.

I want mine on in the winter more than the summer - keeps most of the road stuff from getting thrown up into the side of the truck.

I also did rock tamers this year. I have a lifted truck so factory flaps not an option. They are big, they are ugly, they work like a champ! Would buy them again in a heartbeat!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have them, and they work great - at least they did on my suburban, but my denali has an exhaust that points more directly out the back, and it has melted them. Take a look at where the pipe points!

PS, I had a buddy that always made fun of them, until last year when a wayward rock shattered his windshield, and he waited almost a lost month of riding waiting on the new one to arrive and be installed.

Edited by REHinH20

I like the adjustability of the rock tamer. Remember to adjust height with boat on the truck. Otherwise they will drag and flick debris into your boat!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would say the only downside to the rock tamers is that it is a rather large item to store when not in use. I just slide mine under the boat trailer when not in use. While it is fairly easy to put on and take off, it takes enough effort (i.e., pick up a wrench) that I don't do it for the 5 block drive down the road to the launch on our island and I'm lazy enough that I don't typically use for the 45 mile drive to our cabin. So, I still get the odd chip from those trips. Perhaps I should be a little more diligent.

• Like 1

I would say the only downside to the rock tamers is that it is a rather large item to store when not in use. I just slide mine under the boat trailer when not in use. While it is fairly easy to put on and take off, it takes enough effort (i.e., pick up a wrench) that I don't do it for the 5 block drive down the road to the launch on our island and I'm lazy enough that I don't typically use for the 45 mile drive to our cabin. So, I still get the odd chip from those trips. Perhaps I should be a little more diligent.

Mine are hung on the "wall of shame" in the garage..... along with a ton of other things. Usually the first thing someone asks about when they walk in.

Looks like I am going to order the rock tamers in the AM. Have to tow the boat to the dealer in a couple weeks and want to have this by then.