Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much can the Illusion X tower handle?

Festivus

I came across this thread on wakeworld....http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/319070.html?1146792146

I was wondering what the Malibu population thinks is overloading that tower? I am going to have one pair off Addiction speakers up there (hurry up Dwayne!!!) and I already have one board rack on both sides. I would love to add another rack to both sides due to the surprising lack of storage room for wakeboards, surfboards, and junk in my new boat. I love the boat but wish the access holes were a little bigger to get more boards in the transom storage. Also, if it matters, I won't really need to ever fold up the tower. It just barely fits in my garage in the up position, so I am not worried about collapsing it to store it.

Any input is welcome, and while you're at it, what kind of board racks are on that boat in the thread? I think there are 2 different types, due to the angle of the forks.

I came across this thread on wakeworld....http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/319070.html?1146792146

I was wondering what the Malibu population thinks is overloading that tower? I am going to have one pair off Addiction speakers up there (hurry up Dwayne!!!) and I already have one board rack on both sides. I would love to add another rack to both sides due to the surprising lack of storage room for wakeboards, surfboards, and junk in my new boat. I love the boat but wish the access holes were a little bigger to get more boards in the transom storage. Also, if it matters, I won't really need to ever fold up the tower. It just barely fits in my garage in the up position, so I am not worried about collapsing it to store it.

Any input is welcome, and while you're at it, what kind of board racks are on that boat in the thread? I think there are 2 different types, due to the angle of the forks.

Well, there are 2 versions of the Metcraft board rack supposedly out right now. One for top mount and the other for lower mount. Difference is the angle of the rack.

We have had the racks full: 4 boards/surf boards, 4 Bullet Speakers and a bimini. No problem.

As far as storage Crazy.gif You can put at least one board in each trunk, plus 2 boards under the seats on the passenger side. Heck, we did that with the LSV Surprised.gif And you got the Limo....

the only thing you'll have to worry about on the NVS is not hitting your coconut :)

Those look like the OEM Metcraft board racks for the Illusion tower. I don't think you can really overload the tower, unless you plan on hanging ballast bags from it or something goofy like that. It can hold eight boards and speakers no problem.

Seriously man, how can you possibly be complaining about the lack of storage space on that thing? All there is is storage space.

not complaining about storage space really...at least I didn't mean to. I can fit ONE full size board on each side of the transom, and I have gear in the port under-seat compartments. I have a wife and kids, our gear on a Lake Powell trip is easily 4 wakeboards, knee board, surf board, and sky ski. I'd love to know where to put it all. I don't cruise around the lake with junk on the racks anyways, so I have to put it somewhere for the "getting around" part of the day. I have seen rack mounts simply break when overloaded in heavy choppy water. My Epic could hold 3 boards in the rear storage, two in the transom, and it was 3 feet shorter. So just wondering about the load cap. on the tower. Where can you get the metcalf racks?

Edited by Festivus

For the Metcraft racks etc. you need to contact the dealer. You could also call Metcraft first, (I don't have the number with me but its been posted on here several times before so it should be searchable) and discuss your options first. They manuf. the Illusion as well. From what I understand they are the only one making racks that will allow 2 racks on each side.

If you just want a pair of good racks vs getting 4 racks the Nice Racks are pretty nice, especially the swivel rack.