Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Paddle Wheel

Brent Persson

So I am planning on upgrading to the 6.5n perfect pass from the 4.X than is currently on my boat. The lake that I do 99% of my skiing on does have seaweed it it unfortunately, and it get worse every year it seems. I am afraid to pay the $350 for the upgrade and then have the paddle wheel be useless because it gets clogged all the time (no reason to upgrade if the paddle wheel is not operational).

Has anyone had any problems with seaweed affecting their paddle wheel?

My lake has it's weedy areas, not to mention some of it floating around on the surface. Never had a problem or heard of one. Don't worry about it.

Thanks for the input. I am going to go ahead and order it on Monday. Anyone have tips on cutting the hole for the paddle wheel, besides measuring twice and cutting once? I was thinking I may use my Dremel and get a fiberglass bit for it or buy a quality hole saw bit for a drill. Any input would be great.

One tip I have heard before with using a hole saw in fiberglass is that once you get the pilot hole through and the hole saw contacts the fiberglass put the drill in reverse to score the fiberglass then go forward to make the cut through. It is supposed to help prevent splintering though I have no personal experience.

definitely use a hole saw...measure twice, drink a beer, measure again, drill

Personally, I'd bring a friend along that knows what he or she is doing; stand around; and drink three beers while they do it.