Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Infant Life vests

jakstanish

My 11 month old has a neo O'Brien infant vest but it tends to ride up push on her cheeks causing her to cry. We want her to love riding in our new Malibu as much as we do! Any suggestions for a better fitting infant life vest?

Get a non-neo and alter it. Open the seam near the neck, cut some of the flotation to form more of a "V". Also helpful to cut a horseshoe shape in the bottom of the headrest portion. Lets them put the head back on the seat without being shoved forward in an unnatural position.

Is there an age that is too young to put into a life vest and out on a boat?

My daughter had a couple come into the shop the other day looking for a vest for their 6 week old. I thought that was a bit extreme.

I got mine the Hyperlite one - she started riding on the boat at about 6mos... it rides up on her a little, but she doesn't seem to mind. 5 minutes on the boat, and she's out cold anyway.

"-)

We have several MUSTANG life jackets for our kids. See link below. We got them at West Marine.

My son wore it in the boat at 6 months and didn't mind it at all. These are the styles to get because it rolls them onto their back and keeps their face out of the water even when unconscious.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...001/12387/106/8

Hit the local pro shop and try them on. Not all brands fit the same.

I'll second that.

We have a vest for our daughter that is a infant/child, so it goes from 0-50 lbs.

Fits much better, as it's not as tight as the regular infant ones. I'm currently looking for

one like it that's for a boy for my 1 year old. ( I don't think he'd like little mermaid on it ) :)

--Robert

We had good experience with a swimsuit that had flotation built in. Then we moved to an O'Brien neo.

Not all floatie swimsuits are USCG approved though...

Good luck, Pat

Edited by Faceplant409
  • 3 years later...

back in the good old days (25 years ago) we had problems finding a good infant life jacket because the little ones butts are so very buoyant and their heads are not. i think we tried 4 or 5 different brands and types before we found one that was even worth keeping. even the 'clown collar' type of jackets just didn't guarantee the kids would make it right side up.

now, i know lots of things have changed but, just looking at my grand-daughter, i'm pretty sure that her little butt is much more buoyant than her pretty little head.

i am in search of a life jacket for the little sweetie that will keep her safe.

i don't mean that the package has the right words or that it's a good fit.

i mean that when she is dropped into the pond the result is that she is going to end up right side up.

yes, i will try controlled 'tests' in the pool (before she gets to the beach) but i am hoping to avoid those 4 or 5 returns before we find the right life preserver.

can anyone recommend an infant life jacket that they have actually seen float and have absolute confidence in?

thanks for your feedback.

edited: added bold to emphasize that i want something that has actually been seen floating properly!

Edited by tvano

This is what we have for my youngest daughter. From Salus Marine, the baby bijoux. She was born last February and boating by April! We put the jacket on and lay her in her car seat (Un-buckled, in the walk through). Jacket is a little pricey but worth every penny, doesn't squish her face like other's. She doesn't even care when she's wearing it!

Strongly recommend checking into this jacket.....

Koop

Tvano.....I can say that I have total confidence in this jacket. I tested it in the pool and it works great!

Edit: Sorry having trouble posting the link (computers and I don't always get along). www.salusmarine.com then go to family recreation and click on the baby bijoux. Maybe someone with a little more computer skills than I can post up the link or a picture?

Sorry for the inconvenience to the link, A great vest none the less!

Koop

Edited by Koop

This is what we have for my youngest daughter. From Salus Marine, the baby bijoux. She was born last February and boating by April! We put the jacket on and lay her in her car seat (Un-buckled, in the walk through). Jacket is a little pricey but worth every penny, doesn't squish her face like other's. She doesn't even care when she's wearing it!

Strongly recommend checking into this jacket.....

Koop

Tvano.....I can say that I have total confidence in this jacket. I tested it in the pool and it works great!

Edit: Sorry having trouble posting the link (computers and I don't always get along). www.salusmarine.com then go to family recreation and click on the baby bijoux. Maybe someone with a little more computer skills than I can post up the link or a picture?

Sorry for the inconvenience to the link, A great vest none the less!

Koop

LINK