Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My little girl can wakeboard

actionadd

My little girl; she is 6 and will be 7 in 3 weeks, wakeboarded for the second time on Sunday, and she loved it, it was hard to get her back in the boat. Yahoo.gif She did have one big fall, she caught her front edge going over the boat wake and slam. Cry.gif Luckily she got back up later, not for a long ride but she tried it agian even though she was getting cold.

The biggest concern I have is the wake is washing out at the slow speed, about 13.5 mph, I filled the front ballast sac to lower the bow but it is still washing over, any thoughts to getting the wake to clean up. She is going to have a lot trouble crossing the wake if I can't get the wake to clean up, It's going to be hard enough with the face plant she took.

We were so proud of her. Yahoo.gifYahoo.gif

I get a real buzz when the kids get out the back and enjoy it too :) and even better when they want to go again! Good on her!

Awesome! I remember that feeling from when our 7 year old daughter got up the first time...priceless. It's so much fun to watch them back there enjoying the ride!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! Yahoo.gif

That has to be the best moment of our boating career - watching as our son poped up for the first time!!

All I can say is take it slow, and make sure she is having a GREAT time!

No need to rush her, she will cross the wake (and do inverts) when she is ready.

Have you tried no ballast?

Great way to start the season....Congrats. Nothing better than watching the kids get out there and learn something new.

We now have the problem of the kids not wanting to get back in the boat. I guess if you get to pick your problems, that's not a bad one to have....

Yahoo.gif That's the best, ain't it? Yahoo.gif

My younger son (7 last year) had it click for him about 1/2 way through summer. All of a sudden things started working and he wanted to catch up with his older Bro (10 yo) who was going W2W.

My little girl; she is 6 and will be 7 in 3 weeks, wakeboarded for the second time on Sunday, and she loved it, it was hard to get her back in the boat.

Okay, now we need pics!

We now have the problem of the kids not wanting to get back in the boat.  I guess if you get to pick your problems, that's not a bad one to have....

A GREAT problem to have in my book.

My younger son , Ryley:

Rockon.gif Way to go Ryley!

Here's a shot of our daughter taken up at Billy Chinook last October (age 8):

post-7-1114564574_thumb.jpg

Great!  Were you able to get some pictures?

We have a video of her the first time she did it, I did not have my camera with me this week end. I will get some pics this weekend If we get a chance to go.

Have you tried no ballast?

When she first started the front ballast was empty, the extra weight in the front keeps the bow down at the slower speeds. Maybe I will try it again with the front bow tank empty.

The biggest concern I have is the wake is washing out at the slow speed, about 13.5 mph...  She is going to have a lot trouble crossing the wake if I can't get the wake to clean

I have four daughters, the youngest of which is seven and has her first ups on the board at age five. My advice - slow the boat down. I'd take her at 9 or 10 mph and let her practice cutting back and forth inside the wake. When she's comfortable with that let her try some surface 180's. While we all want to see people jump the wake, the problem is a few faceplants and she won't want to ride at all! Let her learn board handling skills at 9-10 mph where mistakes don't punish. You've already seen that 13 mph can hurt and discourage the little ones.

Two years ago I had my 9 year old daughter going wake to wake heelside. She was doing awsome - until a nasty faceplant at season's end. She barely would get on the board the next season -she'd ski, but didn't want to ride. In retrospect, she'd be alot further developed with her skills if I'd taken her riding progression a bit slower. Learning to edge, turn and handle the board can be done at very low speed with light weight youngsters - and you won't have to worry about painful falls hampering them. (Save the pain for after their already hooked!)

That's awesome! My daughter learned at 8 and loved it till she tried a butterslide and caught the front edge!!! OUCHIE!! An eye peeling experience. That's the problem I see with the 05 VLX that the low speed wake is so big and so washy that kids will struggle, but at 15 mph it improves a bit, but still huge for a beginner. I kept her outside the wake learning to carve first, then a one wake hop. Let her try at her speed and have fun. Thumbup.gif

I remember when my son began to ski, kneeboard, then wakeboard. We only had a little OB runabout but we sure had a ball. But, now he is grown up, 20 this July 4th. Brings a tear to my eye that those days are gone. Heck, he drives as good or better than the old man. And that would be me. Cry.gif

All of these pic and stories are awesome. We had our first a year ago January. She was on the boat in April (as soon as we took delivery). We (I) wanted her to be comfortable around the boat from the beginnig. I am hopeful to get into the tube with her this year. So far only been out once with her on the boat this year, but loved it! Also, (and I think this is big) she doesn't seem to mind the jacket.

Thumbup.gif

What great memories everyone is making.

I still remember my daughter riding all the way around our cove at Shasta 5 or 6 years ago. I'm not sure who was more excited - her or me. Biggrin.gif

I cant wait till summer, Ive been showing my 3yr old pictures of some of you wakesurfing with your little ones.

When I ask her if she wants to do that, she gets all excited and says yes. Biggrin.gif

The biggest concern I have is the wake is washing out at the slow speed, about 13.5 mph, I filled the front ballast sac to lower the bow but it is still washing over, any thoughts to getting the wake to clean up.

That's too awesome on your daughter man, congrats. :)

As for the wake issue, one thing I miss from my Supra SSV is the wakeplate. With it all the way down, that thing would plane out at < 12 mph. It was so nice for really young kids, scared women, etc.

I don't think there's any way you'll get a clean wake at 13.5 without a wake plate. Just keep working up, keeping the boat light as possible.

LouDoc: I thought I was the only one crazy enough to have 4 daughters. lol.

Congrats on the girl boarding - those are the best times on the boat. I can think of a couple things to try.

1. Move VAB - Maybe if you moved your VAB from one side of the boat to the other, it may clean up the wake on the side your child is trying to cross at the time, then move to the other side for her to cross back. Just an idea.

2. Rope Length - play around with a rope length until you find a spot that is cleaner. A long rope would allow a lot of motion inside the wake until she gets more comfortable also.

Actionadd,

Will you be bringing her down to the WOW in July? She'll be giving a clinic to the other kids by then...

I have a niece that age and I am dying to get her out on the board. Her Mother and Father are still scared of the lake....... Mad.gif

Edited by Headhunter 2317

That's great Addison.

You guys are all giving me hope that my little one will be out there doing it too!

BTW move VAB to the side of the wake that is washed out, keep your tanks empty and a shorter rope will probably help immensely.

Edited by whiteVLX
Actionadd,

Will you be bringing her down to the WOW in July?  She'll be giving a clinic to the other kids by then...

I have a niece that age and I am dying to get her out on the board.  Her Mother and Father are still scared of the lake....... Mad.gif

Yea she will be there, I am looking foward to WOW.