Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stereo volume goes up by itself to maximum

MaddMaxx

I must have a ghost in the machine. 2008 VLX with the standard stereo that came with the boat. Maybe a JBL?? Added two amps and some speakers. Anyway. It turns itself up to maximum all by itslef. I try to turn it down and it goes back up as fast as I can turn it down. I have the three remotes. One is diasbled now because I thought that was the problem. I can't turn the stereo on now because it gets too loud. Any ideas? Thanks.

First, disable ALL the remotes and test it again from the source unit face. You might have one water logged or defective remote or a remote with a function button that is caught in a locked 'on' position (a momentary button slightly off center with the edge caught behind the remote face panel).

A water logged remote will often stop misbehaving once it dries out. No pressure washing allowed. A remote on the transom positioned below the deck cap division is constant trouble from the back wash. No remote control can tolerate being submerged for a second or any degree of water pressure.

With three remotes you have a few divisions. Check all those interconnects and make sure they are all well seated. 'Y' divisions should not be daisy-chained at the remote. This often causes a voltage drop. All divisions should be directly behind the source unit with a dedicated cable run to each remote.

I just had the same thing happen to me last weekend on my rockford unit. It is at the dealer right now being fixed....along with getting a wet wounds eq put in so I don't have to use a touch screen

Thanks for the response David. Well, I unplugged the REM45 remote in the back cabin panel and broke the cable connection. The stereo still turned itself up. I get to order a new remote unit I guess. I pulled the dash wiring plastic unit and broke the red plunger that keeps the plastic unit on the dash unit. Stereo still turned itself up. I do not have any other remotes. Looks like I'm taking it to the stereo shop that installed the amps and stuff for several years ago. Anyone know where I can get the red plunger for the connector?

MaddMaxx,

Sorry to hear that it wasn't an obvious issue. All remotes (whether RF, IR or hardwired) and a HU front panel controller go into the same internal circuit which is why when you have a bad remote that you lose control at the HU.

• 2 weeks later...

Maddmax, I have the same problem on my 2010 VLX. Stereo goes to max volume and you can not turn it off without turning off boat and turning off batteries. What did you do to correct the problem? I am trying to get mine fixed asap but dont even know where to start.