Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low Oil Pressure Alarm is going off!

I noticed on my 03 Rlxi w/ Monsoon last season that some of the time when I accelerated from an idle the low oil pressure warning alarm would go off. Not every time, but in the course of the day, maybe once or twice. I assumed it to be a faultly sender or something like that.

Fast forward to last night. My buddy and I take his boat for a ride, also an 03 Rlxi, but w/ LS1. I drove, we only stopped once and it did the same thing. We were on a sort of recon mission to check out what the winter did to the Ohio River where we ski. I asked him about it and he said he had never heard that before.

So now I'm asking the Bu community, has anyone else ever had this happen and if so, what was it? I really don't think either of these boats has low oil pressure, one had 83 hours and the other 130 hours with regular services.

IIRC, there was something similar to this happening to the 383's. thought the answer was thicker oil but can't recall with any certainty.

Had that problem for the 1st 100 hrs - even with my engine in backwards.

Fixes tried was tinker with then finally replace canon plug - still happened.

Replaced sending unit and it stopped.

But I still get the bad oil pressure warning on the dash at startup. Dealer assures me all is well.

I noticed on my 03 Rlxi w/ Monsoon last season that some of the time when I accelerated from an idle the low oil pressure warning alarm would go off. Not every time, but in the course of the day, maybe once or twice. I assumed it to be a faultly sender or something like that.

Fast forward to last night. My buddy and I take his boat for a ride, also an 03 Rlxi, but w/ LS1. I drove, we only stopped once and it did the same thing. We were on a sort of recon mission to check out what the winter did to the Ohio River where we ski. I asked him about it and he said he had never heard that before.

So now I'm asking the Bu community, has anyone else ever had this happen and if so, what was it? I really don't think either of these boats has low oil pressure, one had 83 hours and the other 130 hours with regular services.

Not to get too far off topic, but where do you ski on the Ohio River in Cincy? I can't imagine what the wake from a passing barge would do to an Rlxi.

I would check the sender for a loose connection or bad ground connection somewhere.

Edited by BlastRlxi

I have that issue frequently - not sure what causes it. Often get the warning when pulling up a boarder with heavy ballast, or lots of folks (longer than normal plaining time)

My ex-LS-one did it and there are two senders, one for the audible and one for the guage. The audible one was bad. I took the sender out and replaced it with a fitting for an oil pressure guage that actually reads by pressure versus electrical signals and mounted by the engine.

Could it be . . . . YOU??

That's the only common denominator between both boats.

I am getting the low pressure warning from my dash too, but only when I am running at about 2500 rpm with a completely warmed up engine. Indicated pressure was dropping down to about 15 psi. If I changed engine speed the pressure would go back up. I could not find any problems, so I installed a gauge directly on the motor and it always reads normal (40psi or better), so I concluded it is my sending unit. Now, how do you convince your dealer there is a problem that takes an hour to show up. Don't matter now, warrentee was up on Friday, I'll just buy one.

Blast Rlxi

We put in at either New Richmond or Moscow and ski toward Meldahl Dam ususally. That piece of water is typically good any morning and most weekday evenings. The barges are an issue, but once you get used to them it's not a problem. I've never had water in the boat from one of them.

Baddog

I think I'm just more observant.

To others

I agree that the sender is most likely the issue. I'll probably swap it on mine and see what happens.

I had a similar problem when my 2004 VLX had about 10 hours on it. Dealer told me it was "typically" (1) teflon tape blocking the sending unit (2) paint - from the block - blocking the sending unit, or (3) a bad cable from the engine to the dash. Since Malibu was paying for it, my dealer did all of the above and I have had no more problems. Biggrin.gif