Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Do I need to user a prop puller?

Do I need to get a prop pulller to remove my prop or will a gear puller work?

I am having a hard time paying for a puller that I might only use once or twice a year if even that.

I did do a search without much luck.

Thanks

It's possible that a gear puller would work if it will stay on the prop. The hard prop pulls are when you have trashed it on a stump and sheard the key. Then sometimes it's hard with a prop puller. If you carry a spare prop to save your weekend and the next couple of weeks without a prop while it's in the shop, a puller will be good to have.

Ronnie,

Thaks for the help.

I bought a ACME prop and my cutter prop need to come off. The cutter has never hit anything so I hope I can get at it with a gear puller.

My local lake is 2 miles from my home so 99% of the time my gear puller will do the job.

It's possible that a gear puller would work if it will stay on the prop. The hard prop pulls are when you have trashed it on a stump and sheard the key. Then sometimes it's hard with a prop puller. If you carry a spare prop to save your weekend and the next couple of weeks without a prop while it's in the shop, a puller will be good to have.

borrow a prop puller if you can. ask other inboard boat owners at the ramp if you can borrow it; call a friend; borrow it from the dealer, etc.

I've only ever used a gear puller and they are a PIA. The prop puller looks much better to me. I'm buyin one.

I have never done this but, one the Crew members swears that you can loosen the prop nut and pour hot (almost boiling water) on the prop and it will pop loose.

I would buy the puller. It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I've never had any issue getting my prop off without a puller. I suggested the hot water, though last couple times, i have done w/out

I tried a little WD40 last time, and a few good bumps with a dead blow hammer from the back - turn the prop, so you are not hitting in the same place.. and it will pop free.

It is just a press fit, on a tapered shaft, so unless you have corossion, or you really boogered it up on the shaft key, it should come free.

Remember to leave the prop nut on, so the prop doesn't fall on you when it comes loose.

I use a rubber covered dead blow hammer (the one with sand in the head). Give it a shot - The puller would be necessary if it is really stuck, but more often then not - should just come right off

Thanks for the all of the tips!

I have a new Acme prop on the way, and the prop on the boat is only 15 hours old.

Never hit anything with it just pushin water.

Danadog