Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HH 383 Starting Issues

My HH 383 runs perfectly and starts very well except under one condition. If the engine has been warmed up and you turn it off for about 1 - 4 minutes, then restart it, it starts hard. I have to keep the starter engaged for about 6 or 7 seconds to get it to fire. Does this sound like a coil issue or maybe the engine is becoming flooded? I don't notice any smoke coming out of the exhaust but I have the turned down mufflers so that would probably do a good job of hiding any smoke if the engine was indeed flooded. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I only get that if I turn the key on & then back off without starting the engine, then try to start it. It starts hard doing that, but the other inboards that I've had have been the same way in that specific situation. Otherwise it runs like a top.

Yup, that is exactly what happens. But the only time I turn the key without starting it is when it doesn't start immediately as it normally does (because I expect it to start immediately as normal and I accidentally don't hold the key down long enough). And this only happens when it is warm after being shut off for a few minutes. So I guess it is entirely possible that it starts only a little bit more difficult in this situation and then my miss keying is actually causing the problem. I will pay more attention to this. Thanks for the input.

It's not supposed to be possible to flood an engine with EFI, but my theory is that if you turn the key on & then off again, then immediately try to start it, then it floods something along the line. When you turn the key on, it primes the fuel pump (you can hear it working), so I suspect that may be the issue. (I could be off base on this, I don't know.) Like I said, this has been the way of things with every inboard that I've owned, so I just assumed that it was normal. The 383 does have slightly higher compression than the other engines & it uses different heads as well, so that may also have something to do with it.

Could be mild vapor lock like the problems that were seen in the XTIs in the past. After the engine is warm and you sit for a few minutes the heat vaporizes some of the fuel in the fuel rail. Turning the key without starting could make it a little worse, hence the hard starting.

From your description, that is where I would look first.

It was my understanding that when the ignition is turned on but the starter not engaged, the fuel pump comes on to pressurize the fuel system. No fuel will enter into the cylinders until the fuel injectors begin to operate when the ignition switch is advanced to the start position. The computer will then tell the injectors to send fuel into the cylinder. This way, fuel will not enter prematurely and flood the engine.

Very true, but in this case I actually turn the key past "on" to "start" and engage the starter but dont' get it started becuase I disengage the starter too soon. Hope that helps to clarify a bit.

Edited by thealy
It was my understanding that when the ignition is turned on but the starter not engaged, the fuel pump comes on to pressurize the fuel system. No fuel will enter into the cylinders until the fuel injectors begin to operate when the ignition switch is advanced to the start position. The computer will then tell the injectors to send fuel into the cylinder. This way, fuel will not enter prematurely and flood the engine.

That's my understanding as well, but there's something that makes it harder to start if you turn to on then off without starting, then back again. It acts like it floods. thealy's issue sounds just a bit different than mine, I would tend to go with the "mild heat soak" that Blank brought up.

The 383 is probably just a bit much for you... I would be willing to help you out, and give you my 350, which starts wonderfully Yes.gif

hmm let me think about that for a second, . . . nope, I will just have to grin an bear it with the 383. :) . Oh did I mention how cool it sounds?