Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is my 2013 23 LSV trailer worth?

daylorb

Just realized a few things...

1) I keep my boat in a slip, almost never take it off the water for anything but repairs

2) Local dealers all do lake calls, for about $100

3) They also do pickup on their own trailer and delivery for $200 round-trip, and apparently they rent trailers if I ever want to take it somewhere

4) I am paying $400/year to store my trailer

5) I think I paid something like $6K-7k for it when I bought it last spring, and have only used it three times...

Makes me think I should sell it, put the money towards other things, use the storage fees towards delivery of boat to/from the slip! I forget the brand, but it came with the 23 LSV I bought, tandem-axel, seems relatively blinged-out with mag wheels, diamond plate walking surfaces, LED lighting and so on.

Tried to look for used trailers for sale in a few places, but couldn't seem to find any.

Anyone have any ideas on what these go for in the used market?

If you plan on upgrading within the next few years I would keep it. Boats without trailers are terrible to sell.

And then just order the new boat without the trailer.

If you plan on upgrading within the next few years I would keep it. Boats without trailers are terrible to sell.

And then just order the new boat without the trailer.

Or just trade it in when its time to upgrade and let the dealer take care of delivery/removal. I would call around to a few dealers and see what they would give you for it, then list it on cl for 1k more.

I would keep it for resale, possible trips, and taking the boat in and out.

I get your reasoning, but it's a pretty essential piece of equipment to sell for $3k. I don't even know if you'll get that for it. Everyone who buys one of these boats buys a trailer with it.

If it is the trailer in the Avatar then it is a Boatmate tandem with Standard wheels. Its worth about $3500 on the resale market. Most of the features you mention are pretty standard with Boatmate.

Seems like there should be a cheaper than $400 option to store a trailer. Don't have a yard?

No, unfortunately I don't have a yard that would work. In Austin you can't leave a trailer in your driveway either. Outside storage is about $35-50/month for it. Not the end of the world, but as I was driving it to the shop I realized I'd likely not spend that annual amount in getting them to pickup/deliver. Definitely a resale decision, not a financial one!

My friend lives on the California Delta and has the same issue, but he has no trailer and its been a problem for him a few times already. He is actually trying to find one to have available, he can never take his boat anywhere else, on vacations, different lakes, etc... I say keep it, as others mentioned for resale you will definitely need a trailer.

I let you store it at my place for 3 bills..Sorry for underbidding you Chatt :guns: ... Or you can Flip it sideways on some HarborFreightTools Carts and store it up against the house...

The suckiest part of storing a trailer is the tires. Sun rots the inside and outside of tires when there is no boat on the trailer. Even the trailer tire covers for RVs and such don't cover the back side... Also, those tire covers attract critters.

In my experience, when we trailered the boat 3x per week, we never had a blowout. Now we trailer the boat a couple times a year... blowouts are frequent.

I have a buddy who bought his 1996 PS 190 in like 1998 with no trailer. He has a nice Nyman water lift that he can use all year & a deep water slip located about 100' out his condo back door. The boat has well over 1000 hrs on it now & he says he's never regretted not buying a trailer. He borrowed my trailer one time (I had a 205 so his 190 fit fine, just a little short). And anytime he's needed to do anything he either has the dealer come out or borrows a trailer from someone. Living in a waterfront community that never seems to be problem. But the fact that he's in a condo, storing the thing would be a big PITA. And to have it just deteriorate from the sun & weather? Doesn't sound like too bad an idea to me if the circumstances are right & your not planning on upgrading anytime soon.

The suckiest part of storing a trailer is the tires. Sun rots the inside and outside of tires when there is no boat on the trailer. Even the trailer tire covers for RVs and such don't cover the back side... Also, those tire covers attract critters.

In my experience, when we trailered the boat 3x per week, we never had a blowout. Now we trailer the boat a couple times a year... blowouts are frequent.

I completely agree. Can't tell you how obsessed I have become with keeping the trailer in good condition after having 3 blowouts year before last in VERY inconvenient situations (on a highway with steep shoulder, on a narrow bridge...)

Here is what I do...

* Tire covers - just the inexpensive heavy vinyl for the 4 main tires. They cover pretty well actually, although my spot is pretty shady

* Heavy cover on the spare

* I use two jackstands at the rear of the trailer - put it into its storage parking spot, position jacks, crank the tongue jack enough so a good percentage of the pressure is taken off the tires

* Got a decent kit to change tires - the spare tire ramp, jackstand, etc. that I carry

Sounds like a pain - but after dealing with these flats, I'm hoping prevention works.

That being said - AirJunky you and I are on the same wavelength here.

And lets be clear - this is the first new boat I have ever owned out of 7. I hope to god I don't upgrade in the next 5+ years min! I try to avoid reading any popular press so as I am not remotely tempted!

Here is what I do...

* I use two jackstands at the rear of the trailer - put it into its storage parking spot, position jacks, crank the tongue jack enough so a good percentage of the pressure is taken off the tires

Good tip. My slip runs dry for a month some years (it'll be dry all year this year). I have to keep my trailer. I looked at my 1 year old trailer that I stored at a buddies ranch (with covers) and the tires already look like heck.

I'd sell my trailer and start working on finding a malibu owner that will rent their trailer. As for vacations... in my case, with the boat in a slip, going any place where you don't have your slip is a beating.

Wow, I thought flat spots in the tires was an old tire thing before radials ever came out. My trailer has expensive sports car performance tires on it & I keep the boat in the slip at least 4 or 5 months of the year..... and I still have never had flat spots or even a blowout. I did replace 2 of them a year or so ago due to a bad bearing where the tire rubbed itself raw on the fender. And since it was worn pretty good, I replaced the other side too.

Flapjack, you know a lot of places will rent slips too. And you get to see a different lake, different scenery, etc. I get bored of our home lake & love getting out & about, meeting new people, seeing new stuff. Even with our boat being moored a major portion of the year, we still put a couple thousand miles a year on it going to Coeur d'Alene, Pend O'reille, Banks, the Snake, Roosevelt, Shasta, etc. Theres no way I'd give that up.

For a private sale you are in the 3-3500$ range.

A dealer might be able to sell it for $3500-4k.

Those trailers can had for under $5k new delivered... With more options.... Not sure if yours has front steps.

Malibu dealers mark up the trailers $2-3k over what it costs them.

Good tip. My slip runs dry for a month some years (it'll be dry all year this year). I have to keep my trailer. I looked at my 1 year old trailer that I stored at a buddies ranch (with covers) and the tires already look like heck.

I'd sell my trailer and start working on finding a malibu owner that will rent their trailer. As for vacations... in my case, with the boat in a slip, going any place where you don't have your slip is a beating.

The Malibu dealer rents a trailer for $50/day if you want to take one on vacation! Thought that was a crazy good deal.

• 9 months later...