Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boot upgrade

88Skier

I bought an HO Vengence back in 03 with HO's adjustable binding and a RTP. Three people use the ski ranging from size 9 to 11. It took some getting used to the low wrap of the binding. The younger user thinks an upgrade to duel high wraps would make a huge difference. What's a good binding to move up to and is it worth the price? Are duel high wraps worth going with?

I bought an HO Vengence back in 03 with HO's adjustable binding and a RTP. Three people use the ski ranging from size 9 to 11. It took some getting used to the low wrap of the binding. The younger user thinks an upgrade to duel high wraps would make a huge difference. What's a good binding to move up to and is it worth the price? Are duel high wraps worth going with?

totally user preference. look at the pros, 50/50. i use double animals and i don't think i could ever go with a RTP again, but some of my friends hate them (of the 5 I ski with regularly, we all use double high wraps though).

IMO, double boots are fully the way to go. If the young one is getting better, its time to each get their own stick.

wilma

Maybe it's time to get the youngin his own stick!

Not a bad idea but, seeing that I only update mine about every 15 years, I'm not in a hurry to spend another half grand on his own ski. He does earn his own money though. Good idea.

Lots of inexpensive, well cared for, previously used sticks out there. There's tons of folks out there (me included) that have a half dozen skis hanging in the basement that they'd sell.

Hmm...how big's the boy? what size feet? what level of skiing?

Lots of inexpensive, well cared for, previously used sticks out there. There's tons of folks out there (me included) that have a half dozen skis hanging in the basement that they'd sell.

He's about 5'8", 170, size 11. We're open water skiers as we're on a big lake, although he is dieing to get on a course. He can turn sharp, beginning to work on one hand turns and can pull hard through the wakes.

I have used double animals for the last couple of years. Last spring I got a RTP so that I could do shore starts in late march. As soon as I started to turn I noticed the lack to stability via the RTP. I took it off asap and stick to the double animals all of the time.

So YES go for a good set of high wraps.

Edited by danadog

He's about 5'8", 170, size 11. We're open water skiers as we're on a big lake, although he is dieing to get on a course. He can turn sharp, beginning to work on one hand turns and can pull hard through the wakes.

I've got a few skis that I'd sell...no bindings that would work but the skis are in great shape.

68" HO PSX

67" KD7000

68" HO Phantom (2002)

68" HO System 8

There may also be a possible safety issue with the RTP. With a high wrap front boot only you may not come out of the binding during a fall. As a result you have a lot of lever action force transmitted to one leg (the other leg will already be out of the RTP). This can potentially blow out a knee, hip or ankle. With double bindings both legs will be secure.---Just a thought.

I'd be careful about that auction on ebay....the seller has no feedback. It may be just me but I would never buy from a seller that has no feedback. Plus, it doesn't look like he takes paypal which does offer some protection against fraud.

That's the ticket. Thanks GT. They're in my area of the world, too, about an hour away. I'll follow up.

Edwin, thanks for the info on your skis. I think they're too big and I am going to try updating boots and continue sharing the Vengence, until Son outgrows it.

I'd be careful about that auction on ebay....the seller has no feedback. It may be just me but I would never buy from a seller that has no feedback. Plus, it doesn't look like he takes paypal which does offer some protection against fraud.

I agree, especially since he only accepts money orders or cashier's checks. Still, if you're close by you could always arrange to meet him and pay when you get the bindings.

I agree, especially since he only accepts money orders or cashier's checks. Still, if you're close by you could always arrange to meet him and pay when you get the bindings.

I don't know, everybody has to start somewhere. I haven't been burned yet so I'm still an optimist. For the record my $162.50 brand new pair of Approach boots were found on eBay from a newbie.

Go get them boots! Rockon.gif

There's a few days to go on the auction. What's a fair price? $150-$175?

What's a fair price? $150-$175?

I got a pair of 2004 Animals in 2005 (NOS) for $150 for the pair. Venoms should be less...these were Venoms, right? I don't remember now... Crazy.gif

What's a fair price? $150-$175?

I got a pair of 2004 Animals in 2005 (NOS) for $150 for the pair. Venoms should be less...these were Venoms, right? I don't remember now... Crazy.gif

Venoms.

Contact Hammer's Ski & Marine in Petaluma, CA to see if they have any leftovers from last year the would work for you.

Hammer's Ski & Marine

1016 Lakeville Street

Petaluma, California 94952

(707) 763-7066

(707) 763-0643 FAX

This is where I got my Animals and after hearing the deal I got, baumer bought a pair from them as well and had them shipped to him (with a very good experience as well). They are good people.

Sorry 88, I didn't mean to ditch ya, did you get the venom's?

There were a couple of bids on them for $100+-, then someone bid them right up to $175 but reserve was not met and the auction ended. They have been relisted for $150 with no reserve. I am watching them. The auction ends in two days. They way it went, I thought the seller probably bid them up to $175.

The boots went for $192.50. For that price, I'd rather buy them from my local shop.
Can you get Venoms for that?
I found some NOS 05 Animals recently for $150 / pair. Baumer got a pair from the same dealer.

88 - Did you ever call Hammer's?

Hammers wants $269. I didn't want to pay more than $190-$200 for those. I am going to the HO dealer this weekend.

Edited by 88Skier
Hammers wants $269. I didn't want to pay more than $190-$200 for those. I am going to the HO dealer this weekend.
Ahh..no NOS Venoms, huh? Bummer. Good luck, you'll find something, the deals are out there if you're patient. Baumer just found me a pair of my favorite gloves (that have been discontinued) at a killer price. Clap.gif
  • 1 month later...

After putting off doing any upgrade for the past few weeks, my niece blew the adjustable apart, so I was forced to go to the shop Saturday. We bought an Animal front and are using the same RTP. What a difference. Excellent binding. It's like a whole new ski.