Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Folsom Lake, anyone been out recently?

My 2 Dogs

Sly Creek is on US Hwy 50 past Placerville.
I think you mean Sly Park (Jenkinson Lake) outside of Pollack Pines on Hwy 50.

I just love it when people try to correct me when I'm right... No.gif ...Just because you don't know about a lake doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Fingerwag.gif

Sly Creek Reservior is on the way up to Little Grass Valley Lake, just outside the town of La Porte. Although after reading up on it just now, it seems that they have instituted a "fishing only" policy and are not allowing watersports anymore so scratch it anyway. It's a beautiful lake for camping and fishing though.

As far as my 1 1/2 hour estimate...never driven it from Rocklin so I was guessing. I would rather tell him it an hour and a half and have it be less than the other way around (especially with kids). And I wouldn't even think about exaggerating the distance to discourage people from going up there. Whistling.gifBiggrin.gif

Great so now you mention lake that are worthless for waterskiing, boy what a great help you are Tongue.gif The 1 1/2 hour is correct from Rocklin to Bullards, as I've driven it.

Great so now you mention lake that are worthless for waterskiing, boy what a great help you are
:unsure: At least I corrected it before I sent someone up there. :)
The 1 1/2 hour is correct from Rocklin to Bullards, as I've driven it.
Yo!!...Jeremy...Tongue.gif
Great so now you mention lake that are worthless for waterskiing, boy what a great help you are
:unsure: At least I corrected it before I sent someone up there. :)
The 1 1/2 hour is correct from Rocklin to Bullards, as I've driven it.
Yo!!...Jeremy...Tongue.gif

Okay, so I'm wrong... (I drove it 5 days a week from Natomas Park for almost two years and it was an hour then...)

So, My2Dogs, what lake did you end up hitting? How did the stereo sound with the boat in the water?

you don't want to know what happened. I took the boat out Saturday for a good waxing and tried to turn on the stereo but only the cabin speakers were working. My wife was all over me for getting the new speakers done and the kids started crying. Cry.gif It was a mess. I got so mad that I told her we were not going anywhere. I called up Jaime this morning and he thinks it is dead or low batteries (I could not think straight so I didn't figure that out). I have my storage place charging the batteries as I type this and I will know tomorrow. Crazy.gif ahhh. so no water, no sounds. :(

Greg, What was the water temp at Bullard's? My boys are lacking in the insulation dept. Biggrin.gif

Water temps were 64-68. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold water, so a spring suit was just right for me. Drew and Zach swam without wetsuits and seemed to be ok.

There was some really nice water in the pockets up the main arm.

Edited by woody
  • 2 weeks later...

folsom lake still to woody to use?? i see alot of boats head out there but havent been out myself. i dont want to wreck my prop for skiiing..

are they enforcing the 5mile rule? would you recommend not going there today? just want to do some akeboarding and surfing?

anyone now about camp far west? is that open , woody?

No sightings of the Sheriff on the water weekends or weekdays. So although they say the limit is 5 mph in realty man are going much faster. Up near Rattlesnake bar there we're a couple of boats wake boarding. Based upon that you could try up there for some better conditions up there over the main body. When I was there plenty of large pieces still remain that could do quite a bit of damage, so maybe inspect the area you want to run in. I wouldn't from what I saw last Sunday. Go hit Clementine would be my suggestion.

we were going to go this weekend but both kids are now sick so that sucks!!! ahhhh! Mad.gif I am beginning to think we will never get out this year. what is the temp at the lake? It's gotta be cold with all the snow run off hitting the lake.

we were going to go this weekend but both kids are now sick so that sucks!!! ahhhh! Mad.gif I am beginning to think we will never get out this year. what is the temp at the lake? It's gotta be cold with all the snow run off hitting the lake.

See if you can "get out of jail free card" from the wife and come down for a day to McClure. We have room for you in the boat and to sleep if need be ;)

The temp is 68.9 degrees, it was over 70 degrees when we had the 90+ degree weather but since we've been unseasonably cool its down a bit.

NorCaliBu, where did you read that Sly Creek was fishing only? Thx

Sly Creek is on US Hwy 50 past Placerville.
I think you mean Sly Park (Jenkinson Lake) outside of Pollack Pines on Hwy 50.

I just love it when people try to correct me when I'm right... No.gif ...Just because you don't know about a lake doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Fingerwag.gif

Sly Creek Reservior is on the way up to Little Grass Valley Lake, just outside the town of La Porte. Although after reading up on it just now, it seems that they have instituted a "fishing only" policy and are not allowing watersports anymore so scratch it anyway. It's a beautiful lake for camping and fishing though.

As far as my 1 1/2 hour estimate...never driven it from Rocklin so I was guessing. I would rather tell him it an hour and a half and have it be less than the other way around (especially with kids). And I wouldn't even think about exaggerating the distance to discourage people from going up there. Whistling.gifBiggrin.gif

See if you can "get out of jail free card" from the wife and come down for a day to McClure. We have room for you in the boat and to sleep if need be ;)

I appreciate the offer. Trust me if I could I would. Looks like I will be the only one not sick and taking care of everyone. What a wonderful memorial weekend this is going to be.

This site talks about it being open to "small boats"... so I checked my new copy of Guide to California Camping and they list it for fishing and swimming but not waterskiing. Dontknow.gif Don't know who to call to verify...

Thanks Michael, camped and skied there a couple of times a year form early 90's to 2003, friends skied there in 2004 so I was curious. In reading other references (although not dated) seems to still support skiing. Hope to go next year. But it's not a very nice place to ski ;)

This site talks about it being open to "small boats"... so I checked my new copy of Guide to California Camping and they list it for fishing and swimming but not waterskiing. Dontknow.gif Don't know who to call to verify...

I asked a guy at the gas station last night if he had just been to the lake and he had. He told me that FEMA had helped Folsom clean up the water in the last week and that the amount of debris was minimal now.

Don't know if that's true or not.

www.folsomlakemarina.com says the speed limit has been lifted but to use caution because there is still debris.