Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Folsom Lake, anyone been out recently?

My 2 Dogs

I thought I had read in a couple of threads that a few of the crew had been out to Folsom Lake in the past few weeks? The news was on and they stated the lake has so much debris on it that they are asking FEMA to help clear it and it won't be done for 5-6 weeks Mad.gif Also that there is a 5mph limit still out. Anyone been out lately? I was going to try for the first run of the year this weekend but not with that much #$#@ on the lake.

M2D

Yep its a 5mph lake again. check out the Folsom link

I'm heading up to Bullards on Sat and Woodys hitting it up on Sun. Jeff will be out on Oroville. Think about meeting up with one of us. Yahoo.gif

I want to hear that BU ROCK. Yahoo.gif

I was going to head out this Sunday. Where will you be? Where is Bullards? is that on the river?

Yes I want to hear it rock as well Biggrin.gif They said the bass is going to kick a lot harder in the water and I want to hear that soooooo bad

Yep its a 5mph lake again. check out the Folsom link

I'm heading up to Bullards on Sat and Woodys hitting it up on Sun. Jeff will be out on Oroville. Think about meeting up with one of us. Yahoo.gif

I want to hear that BU ROCK. Yahoo.gif

Where is Bullards?
You don't want to go to Bullard's. No.gif It's a solid 15 hour drive from Rocklin, it's shallow, rocky, has bacterial issues, and is infested with ravenous piranha. Whistling.gif

j/k...It's up Hwy 49 about an hour and a half or so above Auburn (up near Camptonville if looking at a map). No ones been up there yet so we don't have a lake condition report.

Where is Bullards?
You don't want to go to Bullard's. No.gif It's a solid 15 hour drive from Rocklin, it's shallow, rocky, has bacterial issues, and is infested with ravenous piranha. Whistling.gif

j/k...It's up Hwy 49 about an hour and a half or so above Auburn (up near Camptonville if looking at a map). No ones been up there yet so we don't have a lake condition report.

You mean this place? Innocent.gif It's off the Yuba River.

322497.jpg

322422.jpg

321581.jpg

anyplace closer than Bullards? I live in Rocklin and my kids will go nuts if it takes that long to get there. I thought there was a place just past Yuba City?

I would try Rollins, its a pretty decent lake. This time of year probably not that crowded. It is up I-80 @ Colfax.

Englebright (similar to lake Bullards) is not the far for you either. 15 minutes out of Grass Valley off Hwy 20.

The was another lake in that area Camp Far West it was not as scenic as Englebright, I went there years ago nad haven't heard much about it recently. maybe some of the crew can chime in on that one.

The lake North of Yuba City? You mean Oroville?

That water is to smooth... It needs a wavemaker, to make it whole :)
Cry.gif Nooooooo!! Cry.gif

Sorry, but that water beckens a big nasty wave Surfing.gif Up! :lol:

anyplace closer than Bullards? I live in Rocklin and my kids will go nuts if it takes that long to get there. I thought there was a place just past Yuba City?
Oroville would be a little bit closer than Bullard's. You're probably thinking of Collin's Lake. From Rocklin take 65 North to 70 North to Hwy 20 East to Marysville Road (Unocal 76 Station on the corner) turn left onto Marysville Road. At the stop sign go straight (Marysville Road turns to the right). Collin's Lake is about 10 miles up the road on the right hand side.
...Camp Far West...
I always forget about Camp Far West...Good call Stewart...definitely a lot closer and this time of year shouldn't be too crowded. The problem with Camp Far West is once the weather & water get real warm it's the meeting place for every toothless fool in the area. They drag out their jetskis and drag boats along with their 150 qt ice chests full of Budweiser... Crazy.gif ...It can get ugly in a hurry. But this time of year should be OK. :) Edited by NorCaliBu
...Camp Far West...
I always forget about Camp Far West...Good call Stewart...definitely a lot closer and this time of year shouldn't be too crowded. The problem with Camp Far West is once the weather & water get real warm it's the meeting place for every toothless fool in the area. They drag out their jetskis and drag boats along with their 150 qt ice chests full of Budweiser... Crazy.gif ...It can get ugly in a hurry. But this time of year should be OK. :)

Ask woody, what he thinks of camp far west after trashing his prop. I have head of a few people hitting stuff in wierd places.

Yep Collins lake is the one I was thinking of. Someone also told me of another lake that was about 10 minutes past Collins but again I don't remember the name Crazy.gif

Oroville would be a little bit closer than Bullard's. You're probably thinking of Collin's Lake. From Rocklin take 65 North to 70 North to Hwy 20 East to Marysville Road (Unocal 76 Station on the corner) turn left onto Marysville Road. At the stop sign go straight (Marysville Road turns to the right). Collin's Lake is about 10 miles up the road on the right hand side.

Oh yeah, there's a submerged island of rocks about 500-600 feet southwest of the launch ramp. Sometimes it has a marker bouy on it... Crazy.gif

If you end up going to Camp Far West, remember that someone just bent a prop there the other week. I think it was near one of the launch ramps, if I recall the thread right.

From Rocklin, I believe the closest lake other than Folsom would actually be Clementine which is in Foresthill, just outside Auburn. It's tiny and I think they restrict the # of boats on it but it might be worth the try?

Bullards may sound far, but it is definitely worth the extra little time it will take. A number of Rocklin people consider Bullards the best local lake. I drove over the dam at Bullards the other day and glassed (that's huntin' speak for "I used my binoculars to check it out") the marina and houseboat moors pretty well. I saw only two logs in that whole view. I then went to Dark Day and glassed all visible H20, it too was log free. The water was beautiful and as I no longer have a boat to fight for good water I will tell you that Bullards is definitely the best local lake and is shark and piranha free (sorry Mike, secrets out).

Englebright is also one that I would try, there isn't generally much wood as it's fairly narrow, with a good current at the top that helps move the wood through quickly.

Good luck & have fun!

Someone also told me of another lake that was about 10 minutes past Collins but again I don't remember the name.
Past Collin's is Sly Creek and even further is Little Grass Valley Lake (though if you're going to go that far...go to Bullard's). Also in that area is Lake Francis. To get there you would stay on Marysville Road when it turns right at the stop sign...then just follow the signs.

Also,

If you go to Collins or Bullards the way Norcal said, it is no longer a 76 Unocal on the left side of Hwy 20 at Marysville Rd. It is called "Wagon Wheel", wouldn't want you to pass it up looking for a 76 station.

...as I no longer have a boat to fight for good water I will tell you that Bullards is definitely the best local lake and is shark and piranha free (sorry Mike, secrets out).
Mad.gif - - - - - > Bash.gif
If you go to Collins or Bullards the way Norcal said, it is no longer a 76 Unocal on the left side of Hwy 20 at Marysville Rd. It is called "Wagon Wheel", wouldn't want you to pass it up looking for a 76 station.
:Doh: I drove past it just last week and didn't even notice...when did it change?

Hey Jeremy, when we gonna ski again? Biggrin.gif

I'd like to go out again soon, but work has been incredibly hectic and with the new kido, I have had little time for recreating.

Unocal went out about a year ago, although they kept all the same colors and such so it was hard to tell that it changed.

Sly Creek is on US Hwy 50 past Placerville. Sorry, no boats on Lake Francis, it's only 150 acres and for non-motorized boats only.

M2D, the lake that is about 10 minutes past Collins that you were told about is probably Bullards. Norcal said it would take and hour and a half, that's because he drives a Dodge! Tongue.gifTongue.gif

If he drove a Ford, he could surely make it in an hour from Rocklin! Surprised.gif

J/K Mike...

Someone also told me of another lake that was about 10 minutes past Collins but again I don't remember the name.
Past Collin's is Sly Creek and even further is Little Grass Valley Lake (though if you're going to go that far...go to Bullard's). Also in that area is Lake Francis. To get there you would stay on Marysville Road when it turns right at the stop sign...then just follow the signs.

I think you mean Sly Park (Jenkinson Lake) outside of Pollack Pines on Hwy 50.

You know since Bullards is so far away Innocent.gif there is always Shasta Biggrin.gif

Sly Creek is on US Hwy 50 past Placerville.
I think you mean Sly Park (Jenkinson Lake) outside of Pollack Pines on Hwy 50.

I just love it when people try to correct me when I'm right... No.gif ...Just because you don't know about a lake doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Fingerwag.gif

Sly Creek Reservior is on the way up to Little Grass Valley Lake, just outside the town of La Porte. Although after reading up on it just now, it seems that they have instituted a "fishing only" policy and are not allowing watersports anymore so scratch it anyway. It's a beautiful lake for camping and fishing though.

As far as my 1 1/2 hour estimate...never driven it from Rocklin so I was guessing. I would rather tell him it an hour and a half and have it be less than the other way around (especially with kids). And I wouldn't even think about exaggerating the distance to discourage people from going up there. Whistling.gifBiggrin.gif

I appreciate everyone's help on finding a lake. I am going to find Bullards on the map to see how far it really is. I know Collins is about 45-60 mintues from my house so Bullards might be the next lake. Hopefully the kids will last that long. Just trying to get out for the first ride of the season and turn up the new speakers Biggrin.gif Can't wait to blast the music and drink a beer!