Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RGB LED Speaker Rings and CupHolder Rings DIY

bunji169

Still working in everything. I'll post more pics when I'm done. Cabin speaker rings fit perfectly around 4 mounting screws behind grill. This, plus snugging down the 4 screws seems sufficient to keep them in place. I was going to use clear silicone to attach them to the back of grills, but doesn't seem necessary so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to light strips from ebay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281189099697

I bought some that had white backing and some with black backing. The LEDs on both are same brightness. I was going to wrap the black ones around the outside of speakers, but figured that would look lame when they aren't on.

REVS look great. I was waiting to add tower speakers, sub and LEDS after this season, but this makes me want to now! Keep pics coming.

All Finished. Except cup holders. I decided not to do them. Too many.

I already had XKGLOW LEDs in the boat, but they are different LED's. I spliced the XK harness and plugged it into the speaker ring controller. Now they are all in sync. I will eventually swap out the XK Glow LEDs with the same LED strips I used for speaker rings.

I like the speaker ring led's because each individual led has Red Green and Blue in it. The XKGLOW strips have individual LEDs for each color and actually have a 4th Amber LED.

You get more coverage with the LED strips since all colors are integrated into each led. For instance, for red, the XKGLOW strip has 12 LED's but only 3 of the 12 light up for red. Cut a 12 led section out of The speaker ring led strips and all 12 will turn red.

Only downside is a small buzz in speakers when led's are on. I figure that's do to them literally being wrapped around each speaker. Not unbearable and when music is on, u can't here it.

I'm going to order a music controller so I can hook audio into it and led's with change to the music. Only $20-$40 on ebay.

Speakers are very low impedance, so I'd be surprised if you are getting very much buzz that way. It's possible, of course, but I think I would start at the LED controller and its power supply. If you have access to an oscilloscope, you can check the input power at each item to see if it is clean.

LED Controller is plug n play. Just connect to 12v power source. Then 4-pin connector to led light string. The included wireless remote powers it on/off. Buzz is barely noticeable. Not worth troubleshooting.

• 2 months later...