Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RGB LED Speaker Rings and CupHolder Rings DIY

bunji169

I've wanted to do this for a while, but I didn't want to spend $1,000 from Wetsounds to do it. So I started on a mission to figure out a way to put RGB LED rings around all 8 of my Wetsounds 6.5's and my 4 Rev10's, along with all 16 Cupholders. I think I found a way to do it with very little cost.

At first I bought some 3/8" Clear Acrylic square bar stock to heat up and bend into rings. I was successful with the first couple, although it was time consuming. Then My plan was to then Buy a couple 5M rolls of Waterproof RGB LED Strips from eBay. This comes with sticky backing. So I would wrap this around the outside of the speakers under the grills cut it to length, then put the Acrylic Rings I made around that. I had the Rings stick out about 1/8" past the speaker grills. Then I would do the Same with the cupholders

I made a jig and everything. After I finisshed bending a few, I decided to test one out, and I was disappointed to say the least. I guess light going through clear acrylic isn't refracted enough.

As I was sitting in my garage dwelling on all the time I spent heating and bending the acrylic for nothing, it hit me.....I saw a piece of 1/4" White polyethelene tubing on my bench from an IceMaker water line. It looked the same as what GlowSticks are made from. I cut a piece to make a circle, put it around the cupholder over the LED strip, and voala!! It looked great. I went to Lowes and bought the larger 3/8" white Polyethelene tubing and decided to go with that instead. A 25ft roll was only $7. Plus, as an added bonus, the 1/4" tubing fit snuggly into the 3/8" to use as a splice to seam the circle together. Genius!!!!

The 6.5's look awesome and the cupholders look great. I'm still working on the Rev10's. The grills are inset, so they are a bit more challenging.

5Meter (16ft) roll of RGB LED's with 12v Controller and remote was less than $20 shipped on ebay. 3/8" Tubing from Lowes (50ft, 2Rolls) $14. Misc wiring and LED connectors from eBay $30. WIFI controller for Iphone control, $35. Total cost around $100. I'm still waiting for the wiring, connectors, and WiFi controller to complete install. I will post follow up when complete with more pics..

Great ideas and ingenuity man. Very nice indeed. Kudos to ya. Looks great. Also, thanks for sharing. It's what makes TMC a great site for all of us.

What controller did you go with? I was always a fan of the xkglow product, but they are having issues with their app not functioning properly. They're sending me a replacement controller, but I'm 99% sure it's the app. So unless the app is fixed, controller won't make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94

I already have the XKGlow LEDS for the interior of the boat. The ones I got weren't compatible with the app, so I just use the wireless remote. I actually like them. Super Bright. I think they were around $200 for the set last year. I think they have an adapter now, but id have to buy the controller for $160.

For the RGB LED Speaker Ring Strips, they actually come with a controller and a wireless remote. 16ft of LED's with a controller and remote for less than $20...Crazy, but I also ordered a generic WIFI controller from eBay. It was $35. I haven't got it yet, so I have yet to test it...We have a Memorial Day Boat-In camping trip planned, so I will have everything installed and ready to go before then. I'll take lots of pics and post my review...

Edited by bunji169

Kevin, that looks sweet, great idea...

Now a dumb question, where do you tap into the power for the LCD rings on the Rev 10's? Can you tie them into coming on with interior lighting on MTC?

Awesome! I already had adding LEDs on my list of things to do when i add my tower speakers. Any plans to add them around sub? Please post more pics when all done.

I have to run the 4pin wire up the tower into each speaker housing for the rev10's. That's how it's done with their rings too. PIA. But it will be worth it. I'm still waiting for my roll of 4 pin wire to run it all. The pics were just testers with the wire hanging out if the bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Idea! I love those strip LED's from Ebay I have the interior floor of my boat lit up with them and it looks great, The speaker rings and cupholders would be an awesome touch. Thanks for sharing!

Would you post a link to the lights you purchased on ebay? I would like to do this with RGB but there are so many on ebay its hard to choose which ones.

how are you actually mounting the ring for the cabin speakers? I understand the gravity fit on the cupholders, but don't get how you hard-mount the ring for the speakers?

how are you actually mounting the ring for the cabin speakers? I understand the gravity fit on the cupholders, but don't get how you hard-mount the ring for the speakers?

I would think a couple dabs of Hot glue around the edges then shave excess flush would hold them in place. The speaker cover covers them up anyways.