Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone ride the 3DS?

CarveItUp

My wife is interested in the 3DS for its carving ability and is curious to learn what people think of it. I think it is the successor to the TFD but with some changes to make it ride higher in the water?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide...

Mike

It seems like I looked up the specs on both as a comparison at one point & I couldn't find a difference between the 2. I haven't seen them side by side, but the shape of the 3DS looks to be identical to the TFD. Did Kasia ever ride Joe's TFD?

It seems like I looked up the specs on both as a comparison at one point & I couldn't find a difference between the 2.

If that's the case, and you're looking for a good carving board the TFD is pretty good. It's a really "loose" feeling board that only digs in on hard cuts.

I'm not a pro so I'm not sure how much I can help, but I will give an opinion.. I just got my 3DS this season and love it... I've only had the opportunity to ride a couple of times this year so far but it feels great. I do wish it had a bit more pop but carves like crazy.

I ride a 2004 TFD 142. It carves better than any board I've ever ridden although that is not that many.

Comparing it to other Hyperlite boards, it is worlds above the Motive in carving ability and better than the State which I think is an underated board. It is supposed to the thier best carving board although if buying a new board I would probably buy a Murray.

Here is what I like about the board:

1. It carves like it's on rails.

2. The dual angled fins provide great stabilty when turning hard but are pretty easy to break loose for things like butter slides.

3. The abrupt continous rocker. It provides pop without the surprises.

What I don't like:

1. 142 seems a little big now

2. the graphics (but they're not the same now)

It seems like I looked up the specs on both as a comparison at one point & I couldn't find a difference between the 2. I haven't seen them side by side, but the shape of the 3DS looks to be identical to the TFD. Did Kasia ever ride Joe's TFD?

I don't think she did. Any chance we could borrow it this weekend for her to try out?

Cheers,

Mike