Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Growling and Clunk noise in Transmission 11' 247

Hey crew so this weekend was my first long time out in the boat all weekend. I have noticed a low growling noise when taking off and gets higher pitched as rpms increase. Also, I get a weird clunk every so often when I bring my RPMs down fast to a stop.....you can kind of hear it in the second video.

This is my first V-drive boat so hopefully this noise is normal and not a pre-curser for other issues. I know you are going to have a whine regardless due to the helical gears. I did my own maintenance a few weeks ago changing, engine oil, oil filter, and transmission/v-drive fluids with dexIII ATF. I double checked to make sure oil level was correct between min/max lines on dip sticks. I have linked a couple videos below i took of the tranny while running. Hopefully you all can calm my nerves and tell me this is "normal" haha. THanks for any and all help!

EDIT: I should of probably noted that the boat has the L96 6.0liter and has 246 hours on it. Also the boat seems to drive fine.....just has these few random noises that don't sound so normal to me.

Edited by rjones

I'm no expert but that doesn't sound right to me. Others will chime in I know and may be able to put your mind at ease. I know

mine doesn't sound like that. One a side note I damaged a prop a few years ago and did a swap with my dealer for a refurbished

one. After replacing it, my boat made a "ringing" sound when in gear...almost like an old style telephone ring. The mechanic from my dealership said it was normal and not to worry about it. I changed the prop again late last season and the ringing is now gone...

weird.

Errrrr my subject line is misleading. I have the zf ski-vee so it does indeed uses dexIII ATF fluid. Cleaned bilge out already. There was oil that spilled into the bilge while servicing so that's the reason for that (I should note I drained the oily water into a container and not the lake). Prop and prop shaft look fine as well....that was my first thought that prop my be dinged up.

coupler bolts and prop nut are tight?

I checked the coupler bolts and prop nut by hand but didnt actually take a wrench to them. Next time out I will try to re-torque them down and see if anything was loose.

• Like 1

My ZF is scary noisy as well but it hasn't given me any issues to date @ 320 hours. My first guess on the clunk would be as Tvano suggests, the prop shaft coupling bolts being loose. From the factory mine were SS bolts with brass nuts on all 4 which I find really odd, but I am not an engineer. I changed to SS nyloc on the nuts after I found a SS and brass fruit salad in the bilge after the first 50 hours! Some of the wine might attributed to a low ATF condition. The ZF gets checked with the dip stick placed in not screwed into the trans hole. With correct fill conditons being met and the ATF looking and smelling good and a quick call to a mechanic I wouldn't worry about it. Bottom line is, run it down until you feel comfortable with the diagnosis and keep an eye on it.

My ZF is scary noisy as well but it hasn't given me any issues to date @ 320 hours. My first guess on the clunk would be as Tvano suggests, the prop shaft coupling bolts being loose. From the factory mine were SS bolts with brass nuts on all 4 which I find really odd, but I am not an engineer. I changed to SS nyloc on the nuts after I found a SS and brass fruit salad in the bilge after the first 50 hours! Some of the wine might attributed to a low ATF condition. The ZF gets checked with the dip stick placed in not screwed into the trans hole. With correct fill conditons being met and the ATF looking and smelling good and a quick call to a mechanic I wouldn't worry about it. Bottom line is, run it down until you feel comfortable with the diagnosis and keep an eye on it.

Galling. That is why they were two different metals.

http://www.estainlesssteel.com/gallingofstainless.html

Thanks for your input that makes me Feel a little better hearing from others that their ZF is noisy as well. I understand the whine is normal with the way the gears are cut. I have checked and double-checked my ATF fluids in both cases to make sure they are correct with the proper dip stick procedure. It definitely sounds like you had some "galling" going on between your coupler fasteners.....which makes me think somethinkg was out of alignment for you.

On a side note i have attached a pic and video of my prop shaft cooling. Can anyone tell me if my setup is the dripless type? I was going seeing if it was cooling and was going to adjust the "drip" as per the manual but it wasnt dripping at all?

http://youtu.be/mOkG9WcSrRE

C9A4D053-2F68-4F42-8C59-3B6CF144DF34_zps

Edited by rjones

^^^ Yes that is a dripless water cooled, I have had a couple fail on different boats, so keep an eye on it occasionally.

Good to know its the dripless and I dont need to worry about adjusting it. How did you know it failed.....I guess it started leaking at the seal? Also I was wondering if getting its water supply off the oil cooler was a sufficient watersupply since it is on the suction side of the cooling system? Seems to me you would want it on the pressure side after water pump.

rjones- I had an '11 247 and it whined like that and i had to have the tranny replaced, was a major PITA.....the gears inside the tranny are not aligned properly.... it was an Indmar QAQC fail in my case, they just send a whole new tranny. works fine 90% of the time.... till you run it hard.... ie fast RPMs. And yes my clunked into fwd and reverse as you describe.

You need to run that boat full speed open throttle 42-44mph for 5-10mins to see if it will overheat. at lower RPMs that internal misalignment heat is manageable... in the higher RPMs the heat builds and will throw your tranny into an over heat situation....and will throw error codes on your Maliview.

run it full throttle for 5 mins, remove the cushions... see if you smell a burning smell, put your hand on it... or if your Maliview throws warnsing and error codes.

Are you still under warranty for tranny?

Haha thanks thtrog! Thats actually my dads eliminator....built 572 v8 with a 4liter whipple charger on top making right under 1,100hp and runs 130mph :surprised:

Back to tranny topic.....

rjones- I had an '11 247 and it whined like that and i had to have the tranny replaced, was a major PITA.....the gears inside the tranny are not aligned properly.... it was an Indmar QAQC fail in my case, they just send a whole new tranny. works fine 90% of the time.... till you run it hard.... ie fast RPMs. And yes my clunked into fwd and reverse as you describe.

You need to run that boat full speed open throttle 42-44mph for 5-10mins to see if it will overheat. at lower RPMs that internal misalignment heat is manageable... in the higher RPMs the heat builds and will throw your tranny into an over heat situation....and will throw error codes on your Maliview.

run it full throttle for 5 mins, remove the cushions... see if you smell a burning smell, put your hand on it... or if your Maliview throws warnsing and error codes.

Are you still under warranty for tranny?

My boat has high pitch prop so tops out at 40mph but actually I ran it hard last weekend and the tranny was so hot it was unbearable to touch for over a few seconds. I didnt get any warning on my Maliview though for a high temp situation. Unforunately I bought the boat recently used and not sure on the warranty situation. I know you are supposed to transfer warranties and blah blah blah. At this point I will just keep my eye on it and try not to worry to much. I hate knowing that there may be an issue present but with summer just starting I am just going to try and get some enjoyment out of it!

Call Imdar customer service immediately and start a service record with them.... then make plans to have the tranny swapped in OCT/NOV.

Trannys are not supposed to get that hot at all, sounds like you have the same problem I did. The gears are not within spec, grinding hard on each other making that whine and generating heat. You'll need to swap at some point... work hard fast and quick to get it covered by Indmar, else you are stuck at $3-$5k for parts shipping and labor to have someone do it for you.

Edited by nyryan2001

Thanks for the heads up ryan. I will grab all my documents and bring them back to work this afternoon to try to get the process started and be very diligent. So I need to contact Indmar and they handle the transmissions as well? I guess it makes sense, since they offer the "complete" drivetrain package in these boats.

Yep, call immediately... straight to the head of their customer service and let them know whats going on, they shouldnt be surpirsed or act like they have no idea what you are talking about... Frank or Mike? if I recall.....rather arrogant on the phone, as I also had 2 alternators fail and dealt with them on those also... but they were very quick in making things right.

Ryan just wanted to let you know what "JT" said from Indmar on my situation yesterday. So my boat is a 2011 and I only have a month left on my factory warranty. He said I would need to do the warranty transfer, which cost $200 plus whatever the deal inspection fee is to do compression test, leak down, power package inspection, etc. Seems like alot of work to rush and get done when I only have actually a little less than a month left on the warranty.

Kinda sucks since I just bought the boat but I am going to try to have the dealer come to my lake and just go out on a drive with me to check things out. At this point I am just going to double check fluids in the tranny, do a thorough inspection with the dealer service tech, and just keep an eye on it. It shifts fine, transfers power fine, just gets a little hot to the touch but no warnings on Maliview. I think i am just over thinking it since its a new to me boat and my first V-drive to have experience with.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...