Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Left Johnson pump running now what

jb 156

Lets just say I was absent minded coming off the lake yesterday and left one of my Johnson Reversible pumps running. It would still make some noise but was hot to the touch and did not have the same sound.

I am going to break it down tonight and see if it is just the impeller that is trashed. If it spins free without the impeller do you guys think I'm good just to replace the impeller and press on, or should I replace the pump? I really hope I didn't make a $200 mistake!

I don't know the answer to this, but I just received a new Johnson pump that was about to install. However, now I am realizing that a key difference in the Johnson and Jabsco pumps is that the Jabsco appears to have a "run dry" protection circuit that would prevent this from happening. I may be sending my back for a trade!!

According to Wakemakers, the Johnsons have some form of run try protection as well:

A built in run dry system gives you all the extra insurance you need if you ever forget to turn your pump off.

http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump.html

I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I imagine it has to do with the pump automatically turning off at a certain temperature. Guessing the impellers burn up long before that temperature is reached, but hopefully it only makes it a $25 mistake.

yeah i will break it down tonight and let you guys know what I find... pretty sure its going to be a mangled mess of impeller.

got em last year from wakemakers

I had an issue with one of my pumps. Was still in the one year warranty. Called Johnson. I sent them proof of purchase and they sent a replacement. I didn't even have to send in the defective pump.

I contacted wakemakers regarding my new Johnson pump that I haven't installed. They say there is run-dry protection on the Johnson also, and that the impellers will give out before the thermal over load switch is tripped on the pump. Wish it would cut off before then. I know that I will do this at some point.. only a matter of when :-)

The auto shut off works and the impeller seems to be in good shape, guess when I tried to start it last night it was still in overheat/protect mode. I am going to order some back up impellers.

• Like 1