Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used tow SUV

racer808

Any reason for an SUV instead of a crew cab pickup? You'll find a lot more in your price range without the covered trunk.

I have a dodge crew cab, kids are all teens & we can't even get across town without it being an issue. Thought about getting a topper, taking two cars. We are just brainstorming & exploring options right now.

This vehicle would be used to tow only, maybe drive to work here & there to keep miles off my truck. Wife hardly drives so a fuel saver isn't super important but I am also very leary about buying a vehicle with 100k miles on it.

Edited by racer808
martinarcher

I second the Excursion V10 suggestion after hearing it isn't a daily driver. I have a 7.3 Excursion that I am absolutely in love with but it was a good bit north of $12k with 80k on the clock when I bought it. I daily drive it so the diesel economy was a big factor for me and getting 19-20 mpg everyday back and forth to work is making me a happy camper. A stock one wouldn't see quite that mileage, but a chip and straight 4" exhaust along with a good intake will net some great mileage. It tows unbelievably well and puts a smile on your face pulling hills.

My old boss at work tows a huge fishing boat with dual 200's on it and has an F350 with a V10. He's got close to 200k on the clock with zero issues and it tows very well. It will however hut your feelings on fuel mileage but like I said it it's a tow only vehicle I think it would be a great way to save ~$8k over a diesel Excursion and still do really well pulling. $8k worth of gas will tow the boat a LONG way!

How many miles on the excusion Diesels is too many? Lots of them 175k & up for a decent price. Anything to be concerned about?

I have a 2007 Yukon XL denali 110k on it. Had a few worn out parts but love this truck, lots of room for kids and stuff. Air leveling is a must. All wheel drive is the best. Truck goes through snow like a tank. Seems to be pulling my new 2014 lsv pretty well. 6.2 liter in boat and truck.

Find a used XL.

Jk

My brother-in-laws 07 Tahoe 5.3l engine just recently seized up at around 75k miles with perfect dealer service record. The dealer got GM to cover half of a brand new engine even though it was out of warranty because of a known defect with the way the AFM would deactivate 4 cylinders for gas-milage purposes and because of the service record. They said, oddly enough, the problem effects cars with mostly highway miles, because the deactivated cylinders didn't get sufficient lubrication during extended periods of deactivation. Something to be aware of.

How many miles on the excusion Diesels is too many? Lots of them 175k & up for a decent price. Anything to be concerned about?

I would say 100K to 140k with maintenance records is nothing to worry about. When you get into the 175k I think the price drops quite a bit but you should be able to find one with 120k or so in or around 12,500. If you can find one with 90 for 14 etc it may be worth the extra coin, if possible. The 7.3 is among the best diesel engines that have been built for passenger vehicles and has a great track record for longevity and reliability.

I have a dodge crew cab, kids are all teens & we can't even get across town without it being an issue. Thought about getting a topper, taking two cars. We are just brainstorming & exploring options right now.

This vehicle would be used to tow only, maybe drive to work here & there to keep miles off my truck. Wife hardly drives so a fuel saver isn't super important but I am also very leary about buying a vehicle with 100k miles on it.

Strange - same here. Dodge Crew cab and teenagers. I've got a locking BakFlip hard tonneau on mine, no issues hauling their stuff.

Strange - same here. Dodge Crew cab and teenagers. I've got a locking BakFlip hard tonneau on mine, no issues hauling their stuff.

Not worried about their stuff, it's the constant "get off me" "stay on your side" "stop sleeping on me". There is no way I am taking a trip like that, it will just miserable for all involved.

What year is your truck? 2010/11 up (half ton/ 3/4 ton) dodge crew cab has a huge rear seat...

2014 Ram 1500. It is good size for sure, one kid is 6'1" 180lbs though, the other is 5'-7" 120lbs the daughter is 5' 110 lbs & and about 75 pounds of crabby attitude to the boys & I am just not driving 6 hours or more with them in a back seat

Like malibus of a similar vintage, hours (miles) won't be the most significant part of the story. The last 7.3 rolled off of the assembly line 11 years ago. When I was looking this time last year, I saw several "low" miles examples (85-110k) that were beat, drove crabbed, etc. The one I ended up buying was a super clean one owner example with 162k on the clock. Well maintained truck and I even got to speak to the family's long-time diesel mechanic before I bought. Once you start looking, you'll know whether the Ex you are seeing is good or not.

• Like 2

Like malibus of a similar vintage, hours (miles) won't be the most significant part of the story. The last 7.3 rolled off of the assembly line 11 years ago. When I was looking this time last year, I saw several "low" miles examples (85-110k) that were beat, drove crabbed, etc. The one I ended up buying was a super clean one owner example with 162k on the clock. Well maintained truck and I even got to speak to the family's long-time diesel mechanic before I bought. Once you start looking, you'll know whether the Ex you are seeing is good or not.

I figured that too. I looked at a Denali yesterday, low miles interior was terrible & smelled like an ashtray. NEXT

2014 Ram 1500. It is good size for sure, one kid is 6'1" 180lbs though, the other is 5'-7" 120lbs the daughter is 5' 110 lbs & and about 75 pounds of crabby attitude to the boys & I am just not driving 6 hours or more with them in a back seat

You sure you have a crew cab and not a Quad cab?? There is way more room in the back of a Dodge Crew cab than in a Tahoe or anything else you are asking about. My kids are 6ft2, 5 ft10 and 5ft 9, they all fit back there, sometimes with a 4th kid.

You sure you have a crew cab and not a Quad cab?? There is way more room in the back of a Dodge Crew cab than in a Tahoe or anything else you are asking about. My kids are 6ft2, 5 ft10 and 5ft 9, they all fit back there, sometimes with a 4th kid.

Pretty sure I know what I bought, it is a crew cab. I got rid of my 08 quad cab for it. Not sure how there can be more room when everything I am talking about has a 3rd seat for 7-8 people. You sure you're not talking about the megacab Dodge stopped offering on the 1500's?

Edited by racer808

I figured that too. I looked at a Denali yesterday, low miles interior was terrible & smelled like an ashtray. NEXT

yeah its funny... people get super butthurt if you tell them that their car is dirty too. Isn't it "sell your stuff 101" to clean it first? Like when you go to look at a car and it's dirty on the outside and full of crap and has a dream catcher hanging from the mirror on the inside.

Pretty sure I know what I bought, it is a crew cab. I got rid of my 08 quad cab for it. Not sure how there can be more room when everything I am talking about has a 3rd seat for 7-8 people. You sure you're not talking about the megacab Dodge stopped offering on the 1500's?

Sounds like you should leave your daughter with friends or family when you go on vacation :lol:

With 3 grown kids, you may find that having the backseat of a tahoe/expedition/sequoia in is not ideal for long trips...it's tiny and there is no room behind it....just something to think about

Edited by jetskipro550

Sounds like you should leave your daughter with friends or family when you go on vacation :lol:

With 3 grown kids, you may find that having the backseat of a tahoe/expedition/sequoia in is not ideal for long trips...it's tiny and there is no room behind it....just something to think about

Daughter & I are solid, they has me wrapped around her finger. Plus she's my riding partner, she destroys the boys boarding & surfing. Son is my MX buddy, he destroys everyone, kid is scary fast.

Been thinking that too. Focus has shifted to Excursion's. We are still debating just taking two cars too or just going without her son since he will be just getting back from Disney World week before then leaving for DC two weeks after we get back

Edited by racer808

Load up in the molester mobile kids...we're going to the lake!

I can picture it now, ice cream truck music playing from a loudspeaker and "Free Kandy" written on the windows...

I didn't realize they still made those vans. But yes, I would consider it. Give me something to do downtown too.....chicks love those vans, smell of chloroform....

No package on van, would have to have it installed.

Edited by racer808

I can picture it now, ice cream truck music playing from a loudspeaker and "Free Kandy" written on the windows...

That reminds of a family guy where a guy in a van rolls up to Peter & says "hey kid, you want candy". Peter says "I better not" & runs along. Then another little boy jumps in. Then a news paper flash of "Local boy wins lifetime supply of candy". Then scene repeats with a different guy in a van, asks Peter to get in, he gets in, news paper flash "Local boy molested"

Ah - 3rd seat, so they don't even like sitting in the same row ;)

Side note then - you ever tried to sit in one of those? My 5ft 2 wife can't sit properly in the 3rd row seat of anything but a suburban. The 3rd row of a GX470, Tahoe, etc wouldn't be comfortable for a 6 hour trip unless the people sitting in it are small children.

Edited by oldjeep

I didn't realize they still made those vans. But yes, I would consider it. Give me something to do downtown too.....chicks love those vans, smell of chloroform....

No package on van, would have to have it installed.

They definitely aren't the most appealing option - but they give you lots of room to spread out on longer drives.

Too bad to hear about the towing package, but I'd imagine there are others out there that come properly equipped (chloroform dispenser and all...)