Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Used tow SUV

racer808

We are looking for a used SUV for towing the boat. Not in a position to spend more then 12k. My truck is new but not enough room for everyone on long trips. Been looking at Tahoes, Yukons, Denalis. Not sure what else to look at?

Seems the Tahoes & Denalis have smaller V8's? My Hemi does okay in the mountains but nothing wonderful when towing boat so I am hesitant to even consider the 5.7L or less. Denali's have the 6.0L but I keep reading the 2003-2005 had a lot of issues. Curious what you guys think, which runs to run from, what other types to consider? Thought about an Expedition but the old man next door told his was a plagued POS & I have read it seems to be common.

• Like 1

We had an 04 Denali xl and an 04 Durango hemi at the same time, so lots of back to back towing. Denali has 150k on It and still running fine. Denali towed better too. Sold the Durango in 2011 but it was reliable as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nissan Armada. Make sure you get the tow package (lower final drive ratio and tranny cooler). They have their quirks (everything will at your pricepoint) but are a great choice.

Other possibilities: suburban / yukon xl 2500 with the 8.1; excursion (v-10 or 7.3 powerstroke, avoid the 6.0)

hmm....if power is an issue, what about a v10 excursion? I had one a few years back towing a vlx.....it worked well going through the mountains when I lived in Colorado Springs.

My financial advisor was selling his Excursion....not sure if it's still available. Happy to make a call for ya if you'd like.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4430331497.html

Too far, but thank you.

I am going to look up some Excursions. Found Yukon is available with 6.0L & the 2500. Don't see any on Craigs though

Since your looking at the GM SUVs...... don't forget the Suburbans & Avalanches (same chassis & similar from the back seat forward). The 5.3 does a good job when the truck is geared right (4.11s or maybe the 3.73s).

Seems like there are a lot of comments regarding the Denal AWD setup. I've never used one but love the Auto4WD setup in my Avalanche. It's great in the winter & gets 15 - 17 mpg mixed around town & on the freeway. I can squeak 20 mpg out of it if the speed limit is only 60 mph.

Hey, I have a friend selling his SUV. This guy was a stereo guy and is very OCD about his vehicles. He needs a truck because he lives near the mountain now and has property. This is a great SUV and less than you are looking to spend!

2003 yukon SLT all wheel drive, leather, third row, 20" wheels, power everything, tow pkg, super clean, non smoker, 156k on truck asking $10,499 OBO. taking reasonable offers

1451603_10201987135424418_76709328237736

Is driving 2 vehicles an option?

It is, we are discussing it.

Hey, I have a friend selling his SUV. This guy was a stereo guy and is very OCD about his vehicles. He needs a truck because he lives near the mountain now and has property. This is a great SUV and less than you are looking to spend!

2003 yukon SLT all wheel drive, leather, third row, 20" wheels, power everything, tow pkg, super clean, non smoker, 156k on truck asking $10,499 OBO. taking reasonable offers

Where is this guy located? What engine is in it? Sort of high miles though

We are looking for a used SUV for towing the boat. Not in a position to spend more then 12k. My truck is new but not enough room for everyone on long trips. Been looking at Tahoes, Yukons, Denalis. Not sure what else to look at?

Seems the Tahoes & Denalis have smaller V8's? My Hemi does okay in the mountains but nothing wonderful when towing boat so I am hesitant to even consider the 5.7L or less. Denali's have the 6.0L but I keep reading the 2003-2005 had a lot of issues. Curious what you guys think, which runs to run from, what other types to consider? Thought about an Expedition but the old man next door told his was a plagued POS & I have read it seems to be common.

Any reason for an SUV instead of a crew cab pickup? You'll find a lot more in your price range without the covered trunk.

I have an 03 Yukon Denali that Has given me repeated headaches. It gets 13-15 mpg when not towing, 10 mpg towing. Has enough power to tow the boat, the only time it's struggles was when going over the pass. I'm not a huge fan of the auto leveling rear suspension, just one more thing that could go wrong. Driver heated seat quit working, intrument cluster lights went out (a huge pita to change as the are soldered in), it has a leak I haven't been able to track down, etc. i also think mileage could be better if it wasnt AWD. I bought it a year ago and regretted it ever since. It shouldn't be so difficult to find a good tow vehicle under 15k, but it is! I almost picked up a v10 excursion, but went with the Yukon. I just bought a 2011 cummins to replace. It really didn't want to spend that much on a truck, by I didn't want to be in a similar position a year from now. The new truck should give me peace of mind when towing 8 hours.

Edited by Pnwrider

My dad just sold a 2001 Tahoe LT 4x4 with 125k miles for 5.5k

What are the thoughts on the gx470. 6500 towing capacity. Toyota reliability.

Kind of short wheelbase, but if it has the air suspension they are decent enough. My dad had one that I used to tow his 22ft pontoon with once, powerwise it was fine but I didn't care for the wheelbase - trailer tends to wag the tow vehicle. Towing the same boat with my 1500 crewcab felt much better.

Someone smashed his GX470 from behind and now he has a new GX460 - without the air suspension. I wouldn't use that to tow much at all since the back tends to sag.

Edited by oldjeep

1st Gen Toyota Sequoyah falls in that category, but I have heard they have pretty terrible brakes from a friend (anecdotal evidence, clearly, but FWIW...)

Same generation Tundra is not a bad tow rig if you're not in a hurry on hills, I imagine the SUV is the same.

I have an 05 Yukon Denali with 117k. I love it. No major problems. Tows well and is a tank in the snow. Lots of nice upgrades that are not needed but still nice to have. The auto leveling is a nice feature.

You could pick up and Excursion with the V-10 for well under that and it's a great setup. I have a 6.0 Excursion and wouldn't trade it for a 7.3 but I also know what I got into when I bought it. For towing the Excursion works great especially once you do the V/ modded B spring upgrade.................