Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Vride High Oil Pressure

Last fall I purchased a 2005 Vride (Indmar Monsoon 5.7L 350 CID V8 340 HP) and when on it first run this spring the oil pressure sensor is reading above 80 PSI at 3,000+ RPM. ~60PSI at (750 RMP) and +80 PSI at 3000+RPM. I first replaced the oil pressure sending unit (mounted above the oil filter) in case it was bad... no change in the gauge readings. I then replaced the new oil filter in case it was blocked or bad... still no change in the readings. I then hooked up a mechanical oil pressure guage in place of the oil pressure sending unit to confirm the dashboard gauge's readings. The mechanical gauge read ~50 PSI at 750 RPM and ~90 PSI at 3,000 RPM in neutral. What else may be causing the high oil pressure other than the oil pump? Can a bad knock sensor cause high oil pressure readings?

I am running 15w-40 oil. Talked with Indmar this morning and the mechanic said the oil pressures I am measuring are okay and normal for this engine. That I should watch and be concerned if the pressure rises above 100psi... which is the pressure the oil filter bypass valve will open and unfiltered oil will flow into the engine. What raises my concern was the manual specs say 6psi-40psi and the gauge was pinned at the highest point above 80 psi.

I am running 15w-40 oil. Talked with Indmar this morning and the mechanic said the oil pressures I am measuring are okay and normal for this engine. That I should watch and be concerned if the pressure rises above 100psi... which is the pressure the oil filter bypass valve will open and unfiltered oil will flow into the engine. What raises my concern was the manual specs say 6psi-40psi and the gauge was pinned at the highest point above 80 psi.

I'm suprised the manual said between 6 and 40. That seams way low.

Your gauge could be bad. Mine is. However mine shows fine first start up of the day. Soon as I turn engine off & turn it back it back on it starts showing. Does this everytime I turn the key till it is at zero. Last time out close to the end of our outing the needle dropped pointing straight down then shot up to the top then started showing accurately again. Can't wait to see what it does next outing.

• 1 month later...

any idea on a source to replace the guage? the needle on mine is fluttering with the tach between 30- 40 idle, and max at 3k rpm , (15w-40 and changed oil and filter 15 hrs ago )

Also having a problem with the fuel gauge reading 1/2 tank always.. no variation