Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rpm gauge 14 Lsv

I agree that the dash is a simple software update to go from crap to great. The current Maliview software was designed as a supplement to the analog gauges--not a stand alone user interface. It's just plain crazy they ditched the gauges without a software interface overhaul to the Maliview.

The only issue with this is Malibu will not offer the upgrade to current boat owners, you will have to purchase a 2015 model! :)

What a ridiculous statement. The ECM is of course controlling fuel, ignition, monitoring knock sensors, etc. But it can't tell you if you are running more RPM than normal due to some other problem with the boat, such as too much rear weight bias or the wedge not in the proper position. Just because you have hit 22 mph does not mean there can't be other issues that are easily identified with a glance at the tach. Do you also think that cars no longer need a tachometer since they are using the same EFI controls and now have automatic transmissions? Because with a few exceptions just about every car on the road still has a tach.

I do like the idea of having a screen with a tach and speedometer(similar to what mastercraft currently offers). As 85 pointed out though, Malivue will alert the driver if there is any serious issue with the boat. Most new cars are being built with multi fiction displays in place of an old school dash. New Fords make it optional for the driver to have the tach displayed.

Edit: I do not have much experience with heavily weighted boats, but do you monitor your RPMs to judge weight placement? I would think that you would tweak ballast placement based on wake shape and size, correct?

Edited by WakeSwagger

I also like to always to have the ability to see air, water, depth, hours. Hours are even more important seeing as my fuel gauge is not even close to being accurate (1/4 tank off). I have to track my hours on the water to determine how much fuel I have.

Personally I find it hilarious that people are so upset at not having volts and engine hours broadcast to them at all times. I really don't get the RPM argument either. You're going to diagnose a "problem" by RPMs? Seriously, after a few hours of driving, if you cant tell weighting problems by the angle of the throttle and instead need an RPM reading, that's just not being observant. Perhaps I'm jaded, however, I logged hours driving carbed boats that needed a significant goose with a good skier every 2 seconds. When you have practice like that you can tell speed almost to the tenth by the sound of the engine without even looking down so the concept of needing RPM to diagnose a misweighted boat is comical to me. This new generation of electronic dependent buyers is just "spoiled" for lack of a better word. Drive some with no speed control. You'll become a better driver WAY faster than non-stop reliance on electronics and find, with practice, you don't need any information from the helm sans a warning. True, boats are quite expensive these days and you have to get something for that, but I think when people peel back what they really need and what they're used to are two very different things.

I do like the idea of having a screen with a tach and speedometer(similar to what mastercraft currently offers). As 85 pointed out though, Malivue will alert the driver if there is any serious issue with the boat. Most new cars are being built with multi fiction displays in place of an old school dash. New Fords make it optional for the driver to have the tach displayed.

Edit: I do not have much experience with heavily weighted boats, but do you monitor your RPMs to judge weight placement? I would think that you would tweak ballast placement based on wake shape and size, correct?

Absolutely. Unless of course you have no idea what you're doing and even then I cannot fathom what RPM is telling you.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Not sure how much time you have in a Wakesetter, but I would never rely on Maliview to let you know you have a problem. Its a nice to have feature, but not fail proof. This entire argument about how the new dash is a better design just kills me. They took away a speedo and tach, along with some other items that are nice to be able to see on the water without having to toggle between different screens. I have no idea how anyone could say this was a step in the right direction????? I guess if I just purchased a new '14 with it I would have to try and talk myself into believing this is a great thing, the best dash in the industry.... but in reality, its not.

Not sure how much time you have in a Wakesetter, but I would never rely on Maliview to let you know you have a problem. Its a nice to have feature, but not fail proof. This entire argument about how the new dash is a better design just kills me. They took away a speedo and tach, along with some other items that are nice to be able to see on the water without having to toggle between different screens. I have no idea how anyone could say this was a step in the right direction????? I guess if I just purchased a new '14 with it I would have to try and talk myself into believing this is a great thing, the best dash in the industry.... but in reality, its not.

I wouldn't rely on Malivue alone to diagnose a problem either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Malibu is betting millions in sales on this dash and it seems to be paying off thus far. I think that this dash is more visually appealing than it's predecessor, but again, this is just my opinion. All it takes is a software update to address this overblown issue.

Do you not realize that the same readings being displayed on vue and gauges are the same for which a threshold alarm is set? It's impossible to have, for example, a threshold voltage problem displayed on a gauge and not have a warning. I don't have a 14 and don't think its the best dash in the industry, but these arguments that mvue doesn't or won't display all the information you used to get on analogs on one screen is mistaken at best, silly at worst. Maybe all y'all griping will make malibu be the first to revert back to analogs.

I wouldn't rely on Malivue alone to diagnose a problem either. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but Malibu is betting millions in sales on this dash and it seems to be paying off thus far. I think that this dash is more visually appealing than it's predecessor, but again, this is just my opinion. All it takes is a software update to address this overblown issue.

It's all the same signal. The same signal malivue displays is the same signal from which a warning will be elicited.

I think it all comes down to pain in change. Someone (I think it was 85) reminded us earlier about the complaining on this forum when MTC was introduced. Eventually, people will let go of the old and embrace what's new.

I think it all comes down to pain in change. Someone (I think it was 85) reminded us earlier about the complaining on this forum when MTC was introduced. Eventually, people will let go of the old and embrace what's new.

You got it: MTC, single spoke wheel, MXZ line, you name it.

I guess if I really think about the way I used the old Maliview layout, I almost never looked at RPM or Speedo analog gauges. In two years with this dash I can remember maybe only a handful to times where I took my eyes off Maliview and looked at the gauges. It was a bit of a novelty for me... kind of like, "Oh yeah, I forgot I can see my speed over here too! Super cool!!" Then my eyes wandered back to Maliview almost immediately. As for RPM, I'm guilty of not looking at it much either. It's not like I'm driving a car with a clutch and a manual transmission. In fact, the only times I've thought about RPM's are the few times I'm curious how a new prop causes the engine to turn at different speeds (e.g. when I got the new "torque prop" last year). Even then I've never been one to log or make note of RPM at different speeds. More of a curiosity factory. So I think I'll survive without being able to see speed and rpm at the same time. I suspect most of you will too. :biggrin:

The part I'll miss is the little LCD read out that says Depth, Air, Lake (see red box on pic below). I find myself glancing there quite often. I'm always curious about temps cuz my wife hates the cold. It's a recurring topic on our boat outings. .And I'm paranoid about water depth so I glance down at it very frequently. I know that Depth, Air, Lake are all on Maliview. The issue is that I'll have to toggle screens more often now to see it, instead of just glancing down. Not a big deal, but still annoying.

So even though I think the old dash looks better, I can live with the new dash from a purely functional perspective.

Capture_zpsbaf9f80e.jpg

Edited by IXFE

So when the engine water pump broke in my boat at 50 hours, Malivu did not alert me. Mine was the first one to go so neither Malibu, Indmar, or my dealer knew about this problem yet. See this thread: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/48353-indmar-service-bulletin/
Considering that some people have lost engines due to this problem I would say that’s a pretty big one that the warning alarms certainly did not catch on my boat and many others.

I noticed the problem right away because the engine temp started to rise just a few degrees above normal, but it wasn’t yet high enough yet to trigger the Malivu alarms. I thought the slight temperature rise was odd since both air and water temps were cool so I started checking things out. I then found the manifolds were hotter than normal and the engine sounded odd so after checking the impeller I limped it back to the trailer. I never had a single warning from Malivu the entire time, but I still knew I had a problem based on actually interpreting the provided information myself. That’s probably why instead of replacing an engine my dealer was just replacing a water pump and I was back on the water the next weekend.

When you add a bigger stereo and reversible pumps the alternator often can’t keep up when at idle. If I have the stereo on, am filling the 4 stock tanks, and am running the 3 Johnson pumps at the same time, I sometimes see my battery voltage drop into the low 11 volt range. This is with both batteries selected. So that means I am putting a huge load on the alternator. When I see that happen I either raise the Revs a bit or shut a few things down until the battery voltage comes back up to prevent killing or shortening the life of my alternator. No Malivu warnings for that one even though there is clearly a charging/load problem.

I was in a buddies newer Malibu and while trying to plane out I noticed his RPM’s were much higher than on my boat when planning out. Knowing what to look for in terms of RPM’s made it pretty quick and easy to diagnose that his autowedge wasn’t enabled. That was a simple fix that he also did not know about. He was also buring much more gas and putting a much larger load on his engine than he really needed to. We have several threads on here where wedge calibration issues cause planing problems, and often people ask about RPMs to help diagnose the issue. No Malivu warning on that one either.

Being able to glance at the engine hours throughout the day makes it very easy to track fuel use. I know how much I burn per engine hours based on how we are using the boat/how hard it’s been working (aka RPM while wakeboarding). The fuel level gauge drops off very fast when below a 1/4 tank and certainly isn’t accurate. One time I knew I was in trouble when I saw how many hours I had put on it in one day even though the fuel gauge showed I had plenty left. Fortunately a friend had a 5 gallon jug of gas he gave me so I could make it back to the dock a few miles away. Based on how much I filled up with once I got back to the dock I probably would have run out on the way if I hadn’t looked at the hours and checked it. My fuel gauge showed I had plenty left, and no Malivu warning on that one either.

Being able to easily see RPM, speed, engine/air/water temp, hours, volts, etc, all with a quick glance is a great way to help prevent serious problems and make sure everything is running right without distracting the driver.

As usual though, everybody else is wrong and 85 is right. He is such the maritime expert that there is never any single scenario where it would be useful to have the extra gauges, all because he says so. Anything to the contrary is laughable. :rolleyes:

Edited by Brett B

Again, if you want to watch gauges, great, do so. they are available on virtually all screens. If you're not outside of a parameter, then you won't see an alarm, as it should be. You want to watch RPMs, go ahead. As for hours, it has been posted on here they are now there for you on the homescreen.

But, to be clear, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying your gripes are unfounded given all the information that you say you watch so closely and need is right in front of you.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Again, if you want to watch gauges, great, do so. they are available on virtually all screens. If you're not outside of a parameter, then you won't see an alarm, as it should be. You want to watch RPMs, go ahead. As for hours, it has been posted on here they are now there for you on the homescreen.

But, to be clear, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm saying your gripes are unfounded given all the information that you say you watch so closely and need is right in front of you.

Just curious, What year Malibu do you currently own?

Personally I find it hilarious that people are so upset at not having volts and engine hours broadcast to them at all times. I really don't get the RPM argument either. You're going to diagnose a "problem" by RPMs? Seriously, after a few hours of driving, if you cant tell weighting problems by the angle of the throttle and instead need an RPM reading, that's just not being observant. Perhaps I'm jaded, however, I logged hours driving carbed boats that needed a significant goose with a good skier every 2 seconds. When you have practice like that you can tell speed almost to the tenth by the sound of the engine without even looking down so the concept of needing RPM to diagnose a misweighted boat is comical to me. This new generation of electronic dependent buyers is just "spoiled" for lack of a better word. Drive some with no speed control. You'll become a better driver WAY faster than non-stop reliance on electronics and find, with practice, you don't need any information from the helm sans a warning. True, boats are quite expensive these days and you have to get something for that, but I think when people peel back what they really need and what they're used to are two very different things.

The problem is if that you are familiar and comfortable with the boat I completely agree with the rpm statement. I have owned mailbus sine 98. The first two boats I owned I could almost tell you how many rpms etc I was at by engine noise etc because I had an rpm gauge. My last boat was an 03 vlx with a 330. So when I get in a brand new 14 Lsv with a 450 I have no idea how much rpms I'm running at any moment especially when I'm wake boarding/wake surfing. I have also never used a power wedge as my last boat was up or down only. So I'm trying to dial all of these things down win no rpm gauge which is quite difficult. Brand new boat, new weighting system, new wedge, new motor, no rpm gauge= bad news.

Myself and BrettB definitely have similar thoughts on this subject matter. If I were going to give a "helm of the year design award" it would have to be to Skiers Choice for the SA/SC dash. Imo, it is so well thought out, from the Vision touch screen, billet illuminated toggle switches (duplicated on vision), adjustable height drivers seat, analog gauges, finger controlled speed adjustment and wakeplate. They hit a home run on this one. I sat in on a few months ago and it had the "wow factor" they really cut no corners and thought this one out.

SupraHelm_zps928a2b92.jpg

SupraHelm3_zps07fb890b.jpg

One last comment on the RPMs, I do notice with the 2315 prop I am paying much closer attention to RPMs when cruising to our ride spot, I am looking more at my RPM gauge than speedo, I do not like to cruise over the 3800 rpm range.

I sort of find it laughable that anyone defends the current Malivue as the "all you need" information and interface system. I only used mine for rider pre-sets and even then the buttons sucked (had to push them multiple times) along with lousy screen visibility (hard to see indirect sun and too bright at night) I used the gauges all the time for hours, temp, speed, RPM.

Malibu, please fix!

• Like 2

I personally like the ergonomics of the new dash layout--better sight lines over the dash, the stereo and MTC are higher up and not obstructed by the steering wheel. I also like the analog gauges and the fixed digital info screens they have, but I think I'm willing to give them up for the more ergonomic layout of the newer dash. However, they need to update the maliview user interface with the perspective that its the "sole" source of information. Clearly, there are a lot of people who want to be able to see speed and rpm at the same time (I'm one of them). I also liked having a fixed spot to glance at ALL the vital status (engine temp, depth, volts, oil pressure) and of course, as IXFE said, water temp and air temp are discussed on almost every outing on the boat--people are just curious about that info.

I don't think it would take serious development effort to improve the user interface. I'd bet that even those on here who think maliview is fine "as is," if given the choice would still prefer a user interface to satisfied the complaints of those of us that are more passionate about the issue. In other words, it would be a clear improvement. Just update Maliview so that is provides at least the following info on a single screen:

1) speed

2) rpm

3) depth

4) volts

5) temp

6) oil pressure

Edited by Cory
  • Like 3

For example, when you are locked on speed cruise, just provide the RPM's in smaller font on that screen. When you are locked on RPM cruise, just provide the speed in smaller font on that screen. On the bottom of many of the screens, there is an info band area, make sure that info band area includes: volts, temp, oil pressure, engine hrs. When on the gauges screen that shows the depth, air, and lake temp, find a place to show BOTH speed and rpm and make sure the bottom info band area still lists volts, temp, oil pressure, engine hrs.

Edited by Cory

Now that they have moved the stereo remote higher up on the left of the dash into the user's vision, I suggest deleting the music info presented in the lower info band area at the bottom right corner of the Maliview screen. It's already presented on the stereo remote on the left and now in clear sight. Use this space to present the info that we are asking for...

If they are going to eliminate the analog gauges and their associated digital info screens, they need to be more efficient (and less redundant) when presenting info to the user.

The problem is if that you are familiar and comfortable with the boat I completely agree with the rpm statement. I have owned mailbus sine 98. The first two boats I owned I could almost tell you how many rpms etc I was at by engine noise etc because I had an rpm gauge. My last boat was an 03 vlx with a 330. So when I get in a brand new 14 Lsv with a 450 I have no idea how much rpms I'm running at any moment especially when I'm wake boarding/wake surfing. I have also never used a power wedge as my last boat was up or down only. So I'm trying to dial all of these things down win no rpm gauge which is quite difficult. Brand new boat, new weighting system, new wedge, new motor, no rpm gauge= bad news.

I know your pain, definately makes it far more difficult, plus it's a terrible interface in the first place. Malibu could have done it much better

Now that they have moved the stereo remote higher up on the left of the dash into the user's vision, I suggest deleting the music info presented in the lower info band area at the bottom right corner of the Maliview screen. It's already presented on the stereo remote on the left and now in clear sight. Use this space to present the info that we are asking for...

If they are going to eliminate the analog gauges and their associated digital info screens, they need to be more efficient (and less redundant) when presenting info to the user.

Problem is that the RF remote sucks, mine went out day 2, and we had to use the media screen, which sucks too. They should move that to the far right screen with the ballast and lights. That way you don't have to change important screens just to mess with media crap. How often does anyone use the right screen while underway? Great place to put the media