Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Junk & debris in drivers console

Raimie

If you have never removed the panel in front of the drivers feet, it might be a good idea to take a look behind it and clean it up. I had it off on my new T22 and was surprised at all the plastic shavings, fiberglass chunks, dust, zip ties, bolts etc...I found back there. All that crap could end up in the bilge through the big hole in the floor in the same area.

Yep, QC should catch all that, but they don't. In both my 2011 and 2012 I found pieces of carpet, screws, washers, zip ties, all sorts of goodies....

I even brought it up while at the factory and they didn't seem real concerned with all the extra junk left in the boat.

Edited by bamabonners

The only thing I found was a beer can from the previous owner. You guys think it is messy on a new boat wait until you have to take some panels off of a 10 year old one and see what you find.

I do agree that QC should catch this stuff and that is should not be there in a new boat.

• Like 3

Lot of talk on the Axis forum about poor QC. Lots of great buzz with Malibu and Axis but this will fizzle fast if QC goes down. Way too much competition out there to put out an average product.

Last boat show I was at I was shocked while poking around brand new boats inside compartments or under seats there were fiberglass shavings etc... I was in the new 35' Cobalt bow rider which as it set was priced at almost 300K and couldnt believe all the fiberglass shavings I found in it.

Not dogging on Malibu in any way, just as a an example of QC at other makers. I didn't find...and still haven't found, any junk in mine. I had this in my glovebox when I picked it up, maybe Malibu should adopt something similar...

MCwarranty_zpsf1df05fc.jpg

I was surprised\disappointed about the shaving and plastic in the compartments when I took delivery. I still have overspray of either carpet glue or something in the small driver side storage compartment. My last boat was a hundred times cleaner.

Kelly

Not dogging on Malibu in any way, just as a an example of QC at other makers. I didn't find...and still haven't found, any junk in mine. I had this in my glovebox when I picked it up, maybe Malibu should adopt something similar...

MCwarranty_zpsf1df05fc.jpg

Meh... my new boat would have passed that phony MC inspection... those are all items that are visible, and mine was clean as a whistle on delivery.

Where I've found junk is in places you wouldn't see unless you start pulling panels off.

I'm not saying MC has junk hiding in those places, just that the paper in your glove box doesn't prove it one way or another.

What panels are you taking off?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

I'm installing a new Exile system. So I've taken off the carpeted kick panels under the helm and the carpeted panels that cover the bow tank. These are places the average guy would never see. In my case I found some plastic shavings, a few cut zip tie ends, but mostly just white dust consistent with a boat factory. It's one of those things where QC at the end of the line wouldn't catch it because they wouldn't see it. The only way to avoid it would be for each station on the line to wipe down/vacuum thoroughly before passing the boat over to the next station.

For the record, I noticed this kind of stuff on my MB's too. I assumed it was normal for a hand made item like a tow boat regardless of brand.

I agree. They aren't built in a clean room so I expect some manufacturing "dirt".

Also, I think it should more on the dealer to make sure the boat is clean in those customer visible areas.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

This thread comes as a coincidence to my exact thought just two days ago when I pulled off the kick panel for my heater install. My first thought was that there were a lot of similarities between my 03' Supra SSV and my 11'VLX. Point being, I thought the form fit on the Supra was in some areas was horrible. I was kind of surprised to find out my VLX wasn't much better. By this I mean the screws to attach the kick panel were put in at all sort of stupid angles, there was crap everywhere behind the panel, I even found a rusted broken bolt head laying on the deck that left a big stain on the deck. Knowing the panel had never been off before I assumed it got there during the construction of the boat. What strikes me most is it doesn't appear as if they construct their boats with precision like you would see in a $80K car/truck. Am I expecting too much here?

On the good side of it I now know it's clean!

My opportunity to ask a question here....is there a way to get wiring from the the helm area over to the battery/amp compartment without having to go back to the engine compartment or up to the bow?

Thanks,

I worked at Chrysler for the Dodge Caliber launch. It was a $17,000 car and it would NEVER have left the plant with the issues I have seen on my $55,000 boat. There's no reason for all that debris to be left there. My bilge door won't latch and I can see it popped up in the pictures I got from the factory, so that means they were tripping over it during all the interior install steps. There is a burn mark on the interior panel under the throttle. Very noticeable, again, this would be unacceptable on a $17k car but Malibu let it out the door. My trailer wheels are very corroded and the lugs are rusted... again, completely unacceptable.

It would have taken 30 seconds to shop vac out the debris before installing the kickpanel.

My opportunity to ask a question here....is there a way to get wiring from the the helm area over to the battery/amp compartment without having to go back to the engine compartment or up to the bow?

Thanks,

You should already have wires and cables doing that.

Little stuff like this really really gets at my nerves. Gonna be interesting to see if my girls dad picks up a G23, I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb and compare.

Edited by TheKiwi

This thread comes as a coincidence to my exact thought just two days ago when I pulled off the kick panel for my heater install. My first thought was that there were a lot of similarities

Thanks,

I threaded RCA cables through the hole in the floor that the steering cable and ballast hoses are to the other side where your batteries are. I just had to drill the hole myself close to the wall on the battery side. I made the hole about 1 inch in size and it works perfectly. Using a fish tape, it was not very difficult to get it across, it is just a 2 person job. One person to wiggle the fish tape, another to grab it. I honestly tried laying on the floor with one arm reaching each side, but even my arms are not that long. The RCA cables are sitting on top of my center ballast tank, or just in front of it.

I was messing with the factory radio the other day and it looks like my 4 year old put the wires behind the amp rack, a complete mess of wires I also noticed tucked up in there a place in the floor that had no gel coat on it. Its the little things that have me thinking my next boat may not be a bu. Spending this kind of money on a toy it should be top notch. This is a luxury item and it would go a long way for them to go through them with a vacuum from station to station to make sure things like this aren't seen by the customer.