Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motor help

I have a 2005 V-ride. I know I have a 5.7 and I need to do some maintenance.

1. Manual says pz3 filter is that correct??

2. I don't have a hammer head correct?

3. Impeller is a Johnson 812?

4. My raw water pump has a drip that occurs while motor is running do I need to replace it? If so part #

5. Does anyone have the replacement belt part #?

Thanks

With a V-ride, I'm guessing you have the Indmar LCR, though your boat probably could have been ordered with the Monsoon. Both are 350 ci, or 5.7 liter engines (as was the Mercruiser Black Scorpion, also an option that year). Easiest way to tell is to lift the engine cover.

The Pennzoil PZ3 is the correct oil filter, though Pennzoil's is not the best. You can cross-reference oil filters at any auto parts store. I prefer to use Mobil.

The impeller is the Johnson 812.

If your raw water pump drips, it could just be that the screws holding the cover are not tightened enough, or that the gasket leaks. Many here, myself included, change out the impeller yearly, and the replacement comes with a new gasket. The screws just need to be tightened until snug. They are brass and will break if you over-tighten them. But, if you've got a drip, try tightening each one just slightly.

Replacement belt, again assuming you have an Indmar engine, should be Indmar 72-5018.

MalibuNation

Send us some pics if you would like us to identify your engine. These are the choices I show for your boat with the top one being standard.

Malibu LCR 320hp EFI-MPI

Malibu Monsoon 340hp EFI-MPI

Corvette LS1 375hp EFI-MPI

Hammerhead 383, 400hp EFI-MPI

If the raw water pump is leaking from the back, the seal and bearing need replacing, or you could replace the whole pump

Depends on your definition of "back" ;) Might want to say - if it is leaking from the shaft side and not the cover plate.

Depends on your definition of "back" ;) Might want to say - if it is leaking from the shaft side and not the cover plate.

While my posts are based on my Direct Drive Experience where the Monsoon faces the correct direction, you are correct old jeep V Drivers might get confused.

While my posts are based on my Direct Drive Experience where the Monsoon faces the correct direction, you are correct old jeep V Drivers might get confused.

FWIW - the pump they used on the DD Black scorpion the impeller comes out the "back" (engine side). So it isn't even a DD vs V drive thing.

I've never seen an 05 with a Merc in it. But the Indmar I have in my 05 Vride is definitely a Monsoon. I use Napa's 1069 oil filter.

The water pump on all SBCs have a weep hole on the bottom. If someone overtightens the belt, then it can wear out the bearing. The leaky weep hole is the indicator that it needs to be replaced. It's about impossible to see when it's installed, but once you remove the pump, it's usually pretty easy to see that the weep hole is what was leaking.

lg_0007AUSMD.jpgcswpdd26aro_Dodge_truck_water_pump.jpg

This is what they looked like in 05. The cover over the EFI is pretty recognizable.

heater.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

FWIW - the pump they used on the DD Black scorpion the impeller comes out the "back" (engine side). So it isn't even a DD vs V drive thing.

Yes, you are correct and more specific which in turn is less flippant and more helpful as well. I really don't care about a V drive Direct Drive rivalry, in fact if we had any hope of water around here I would have probably purchased the V Drive I considered last fall.

Air junky that is the same motor that I have. It is in fact dripping out of the bottom and not from the impeller cover. So does that mean that I need a new pump or is it still ok? Anybody have a part number or a brand name for the wAter pump if I need one?

Air junky that is the same motor that I have. It is in fact dripping out of the bottom and not from the impeller cover. So does that mean that I need a new pump or is it still ok? Anybody have a part number or a brand name for the wAter pump if I need one?

Bearing is shot. Replace the pump. Their cheap, like $50. Take it off, take it in to your local Napa & tell them its on a boat, an Indmar marinized Chevy 350. They will have the replacement on the shelf. Get a new impeller for the other water pump too (Johnson 812 or Globe 100J). You'll be removing that pump to get to the engine's pump, might as well replace it now.

It's not really that tough a job, just in a tough place. Remove the engine cover & both of the side walls. Should make yourself some room to work.

Good luck.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

So what is my motor called just a monsoon? Any help here for future reference.

Depends on who your talking to. Napa won't know what a Monsoon is. But if you tell them it's a Chevy 350 or 5.7 liter that was marinized by Indmar, then they know say, "Oh sure, I can help".

If your at the Malibu dealer, then they should recognize Monsoon.

Bearing is shot. Replace the pump. Their cheap, like $50. Take it off, take it in to your local Napa & tell them its on a boat, an Indmar marinized Chevy 350. They will have the replacement on the shelf. Get a new impeller for the other water pump too (Johnson 812 or Globe 100J). You'll be removing that pump to get to the engine's pump, might as well replace it now.

It's not really that tough a job, just in a tough place. Remove the engine cover & both of the side walls. Should make yourself some room to work.

Good luck.

In his original post he says the raw water pump is leaking. The Johnson P/N for the RWP is F6B9. It cost approx. $200.00. The bearings and seal can be replaced in this pump if you have the right tools. If it's leaking at the shaft end of the pump......it's the seal.

Edited by nuttyskier2002