Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to hang a fender on a 98 Sunsetter

mtnbkr738

Ok, I know this sounds stupid, but I picked up a great Sunsetter---I've owned other boats before --But this boat has no Cleats for tying down to the dock or to hang fenders over the side. Im guessing to tie the ropes to the rail in front and on the grab rails in the back/side.

How do you tie the fenders on? Does anyone use clips or hooks? seems kinda crazy to "tie" a knot every time i need to use fenders, Im sure there is an easy way.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thx

I hang them on the pop up cleats. You can always install them - very useful.

x2 with no cleats how are you supposed to tie the boat up to a dock? Never have understood why cleats are an option on ski boats.

use the inside grab handles for the fenders, and/or the front bow rail.

To tie it up, use the rear transom ski pull and a line off the pylon.

Pop up cleats are great but expensive.

x2 with no cleats how are you supposed to tie the boat up to a dock? Never have understood why cleats are an option on ski boats.

We've been fine without them for years, our fenders are tied to our dock slip that we rent. and we use the bow and transom hooks to connect to the dock. That said I've been thinking about adding pop up cleats for a while now just so it is more convenient for using another dock.

Learn how to tie a clove hitch and attach the fenders to the grab rails. Doesn't take any longer than attaching it to a cleat.

• Like 2

I have to tie to our grab handles which I do not like to do. For hanging fenders I suppose it is ok, but for tying up to a dock, I am not a fan. I had a bad experience with a previous boat where I had it tied to the front grab rail. Boat came by throwing a surf wave and rocked our boat so hard that the grab handle got bent into a rainbow. Great boat by the way, we love ours.

I've been using something like these for years:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Kwik-Tek-Fender-Straps-pair&i=12211&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3132323131

in my experience they work great as long as the area is dry before you attach. I stick them on the gel above the rub rail and they work really well. I have pop up cleats front and back and two fenders that don't have suction cups....I never use them. I use the cleats for dock lines.

I have cleats installed, but I usually only use them for mooring lines or dock ties. I hang the bumpers from the pylon & front tower leg.

• Like 2

I just use the grab handles. I dont even un-tie them, just flip them in the boat when we are ready to go. We spend more than half our time tie'd up, just chillin with friends in other boats.

Steve B.

$300 buys a bunch of fuel :)

Tying fenders to the grab rails are fine. There is no stress on that line.

I would NOT recomend tying the boat up to the rails.

Using the rear ski pull and the pylon are clearly strong enough to tie up the boat.

ahopkins22LSV

I hang the bumpers from the rear grab handle and a wind shield frame support. I would love to have cleats but not spending the money right now. Tie up with the front bow hook and either of the rear tow hooks. If I need a spring line I will use the ski pylon.

post-23201-13999473832997_thumb.jpg

post-23201-13999474008722_thumb.jpg

Edited by ahopkinsTXi

I use the rear pylon (have a fender with a set rope) and another from the wakeboard rack (not the forks, have a knot tied in the rope and wedge that between the rack and tower).

I hang them off the back grab handles as well as a ball fender from the ski pylon........