Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lost power 335 monsoon

I have a 03 wakesetter with 335 monsoon. Took boat out today ran great for about a couple of hours. Son did a little wakeboarding, we rode a bit, and then just sat with boat off for kids to play. After about 30 minutes of sitting went to crank boat. It cranked but was idling very low and sounded like it was either sucking in or blowing out air and would not go. Would appreciate any suggestions or help....

thanks

Not familiar with that engine, but if you have a mechanical driven fuel pump mounted on the block i would say you had a vapor lock. Happens with my 350 merc all the time. Cranks up fine until it gets hot. Electric fuel pump is on the to do list.

Last year, my boat had a similar sounding issue and it turned out the thermostat was stuck wide open. Basically, the fuel injection was acting like the engine was always cold which means it was running rich. For guys that are familiar with carburetors, it acted like it was a carbureted engine that was flooded. One day, after sitting on the lake for 45 minutes or so, I had a hard time getting it started. It was fine once it started. Then I noticed the temp gauge never really got very high and certainly not the 160 it should have. After verifying it wasn't the gauge or temp sending unit, I figured it was the thermostat. So I replaced it and all has been well since...... Knock on wood!

That sucking noise you heard was the idle air control valve trying to make the engine idle . Sounds like it was rich and was trying to clear itself