Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newer tow rig opinions

ebelizard

So I'm looking at purchasing a newer tow rig in the near future. I've narrowed my choices to only two, both are older models.

Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ V6 Turbo Diesel

Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ

Both would be between the 2007-2010 ranges. The Jeep has a towing capacity of 7,400 (properly equipped), and the Tahoe would have 8,200lbs towing capacity.

Which would you guys recommend? I don't plan on buying a yacht anytime soon, and probably upgrading to a VLX or (don't shoot me) the new MasterCraft NXT.

I have a tahoe, 2002, and 2008 denali, similar but bigger engine. Tahoe has 225,000miles and still tows cross country no problem. All original stock trans and engine. I love the idea and gas mileage of the jeep but Id be afraid its so new reliability will be an issue. Also jeeps transmissions have always been questionable, i assume it has a zf 8 speed which in my experience is hit or miss. If you want reliability, comfort, room, and will sacrifice a few mpg, id say tahoe all day. Preferably 2008+, 2007 had 4speed still 2008+ has much stronger 6speed which also gets me 23mpg unloaded cross country. Just pulled my new vlx 10hrs through mountains at a brisk 75-90mph and yielded 10.8mpg with the 6.2L denali. Tahoe with 5.3 will be slightly higher maybe 11.5?

Agree with the above. Couple more points:

--Tahoe is wide enough to see around the boat when towing. I have a '01 QX4 that is similar in size to the Jeep and it's tough to use the side mirrors.

--I have never owned or towed with any GM that has had brakes that I was happy with. Stopping and starting with my Infiniti is superior to my 96 Tahoe, my brother's '01 Silverado, and my Dad's old '02 Avalanche. My Dad's '13 Grand Cherokee also pulls and stops better than the GMs, but still has the visibility issue I mentioned.

Yea I see both your points. I guess my main concern is reliability; I know diesel engines are reliable, and have good towing capacity. I LOVE the Tahoe, but have had a lot of positive experience with Jeeps. Very valid point commenting on visibility with the Tahoe due to size, and good info on the 2008. Did they have the Active fuel management thing where it turns off 4 cylinders for that year?

I've had a few 07 and up sierra slt's and silverado ltz. Some lifted some factory. 8" lift with 35s was horrible to tow with 3.73 gears and 5.3. But factory they are a dream to tow with. The 5.3 has never lacked for me. 20mpg on Highway. And 12 towing 70-80 mph. It says something that I've had 4 and will buy one again when I'm over my white one! Tahoe is basically the same truck!

The jeep is a nice car - the baby diesel is an expensive gimic, I'd get the Hemi if I bought the jeep. That being said the Jeep is a unibody with a spongy rear suspension, not my first choice for a tow rig.

Didn't the Jeep with diesel just come out for 2014? if so there is no way to purchase a used 2007-2010 model?

The 2007 - 2008 Grand Cherokee could be purchased w/ a Mercedes-sourced diesel.

Didn't the Jeep with diesel just come out for 2014? if so there is no way to purchase a used 2007-2010 model?

They had it before, didn't make or sell many and then stopped making them for 3 or 4 years.

Active fuel management is on all 2007+ Tahoe but ive turned it off on my one vehicle that has it and yielded better mpg. Also any Tahoe with the towing package from the factory will have a bigger transmission cooler, and trailer brake integrated. All 3 of my GM trucks have it and although the brake cannot be turned up or down its worked flawless for me.

I'd go for the Tahoe over Jeep IMO but make sure whatever you buy has the TOW PACKAGE and proper gearing. We just recently went through this search and over a 3 month+ period I only found TWO Tahoe/Suburban's that did and were rated for more than 5000lbs. According the dealers after 07/08 fuel prices soared dealers started selling/stocking more basic 'people mover' SUV's and all the ones without the factory HD tow package are only rated at 5000lbs and have a 3.08 gear, which is a dog. We ended up buying a new crew cab f-150 for less than what we were finding 5-6 year old tahoe/suburbans with 50k miles on them. 1st pickup for us but we love it so far. Good luck in your search.

If you're looking for something used find a yukon denali with a 6.2 with AFM, minimal price difference over the tahoe but quite a bit better power.

The 5.3 tows okay, but avoid the 4spd at all costs. That doesn't like towing on anything except flat ground and lower speeds, these newer boats are just heavy.

I would skip the older Jeep diesel. It's not what the new ones are and the 5spd transmission wasn't great. I have a new 2014 GC 3.0 diesel and it tows really, really well. They've worked out the bugs on the 8spd for the most part now. It's a great transmission. But, as someone else noted the GC is not wide and is impossible to see around my boat. My Silverado with the 6.2 is much better for a big boat.

Go with the bigger rig if you're looking in that year range, only go with a 6spd. I prefer the 6.2, but the 5.3 can do it with 6 gears. Fuel economy isn't going to be nearly what others have posted IMO. Had 3 of these GM products (two 5.3s and a new 6.2) and none of them were close to that fuel economy, but that's okay. They're body on frame trucks! :-)

Edited by tjklein

Agreed on 6.2 if you can get one. Best bet is to find a Yukon Denali it will be within a few thousand of the Tahoe dependent on where your located. The 6.2 is a monster. Mine is tuned as well which helps some with MPG unloaded. Driving feel between Tahoe and Denali of same year will be quite noticeable, not just power but ride and handling.

As others have mentioned, go with the 6 speed in the GM. The Denali with the 6.2 had it from the start ('07 +) but the Tahoe with the 5.3 didn't get the 6 speed trans until 2009. You should avoid the 5.3 with 4 speed at all costs. Total dog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6 diesel. Tows great and gets 27-29 on the highway when I'm not towing anything.

I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to spend and how you plan to drive this vehicle. A used Tahoe or Denali will cost much less than the Jeep diesel. I drive 40-50K per year so fuel economy was more important as compared to upfront cost.

Lots of good info here, and looks like the jeep is out of the question. It is a good vehicle, especially the new V6 turbo diesel, but I don't want to spend over 40k on a tow rig.

Lets spice it up; If i'm going to get a tahoe, why not just go ahead and buy a 2008 Hummer H2??

Lots of good info here, and looks like the jeep is out of the question. It is a good vehicle, especially the new V6 turbo diesel, but I don't want to spend over 40k on a tow rig.

Lets spice it up; If i'm going to get a tahoe, why not just go ahead and buy a 2008 Hummer H2??

Because your name is not Lon, you don't own a Mastercraft, and there are no barb wires tattood to your arms. :rofl:

Only kidding, of course. I have a buddy who owns a white H2 pickup (lifted on 35's, nice black rims, etc.). It's actually really nice and I think you get the 6.0L motor that way. Not sure about the tranny...

Edited by IXFE

Because they are fugly and basically a Tahoe with obscured vision and the aero dynamics of a brick?

Because your name is not Lon, you don't own a Mastercraft, and there are no barb wires tattood to your arms. :rofl:

Only kidding, of course. I have a buddy who owns a white H2 pickup (lifted on 35's, nice black rims, etc.). It's actually really nice and I think you get the 6.0L motor that way. Not sure about the tranny...

well I do have a very big tribal tattoo on my right shoulder/army :unsure: I would have to look into the reliability of the tranny.

Because they are fugly and basically a Tahoe with obscured vision and the aero dynamics of a brick?

But they look so rad. I don't think I'd buy one to put it in a wind tunnel and try to get better fuel economy. I have towed my Echelon behind my ex girlfriends, and it was awesome. I like knowing that I can lock the diff, and put in 4 low at the bottom of the ramp and pull poseidon out of the water.

Being in the military I think it just suites me as well. But a Tahoe is nice too :)

well I do have a very big tribal tattoo on my right shoulder/army :unsure: I would have to look into the reliability of the tranny.

Since youre Army I'm going to say you can drive whatever the heck you want. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

On the tranny its not so much a reliability issue. It's just that having the 6-speed vs. the older 4-speed is much nicer for towing. The 4-speed tends to heat up more, but you could solve that with a good aftermarket tranny cooler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Just google "5.3L GM overheat fan clutch"

I was a Chevy guy till I was 35.... I don't know if I will ever own another, their Duramax small chance. That 5.3L isn't suited for towing much over 4-5k lbs IMO. Doesn't help they thermostat them to run 210degs.

Never had any heat problems with any of my 5 GM trucks, i run obd scanners with my ipad on long tows to watch all my temps and it stays cool as it should with that weight. 225k miles on the tahoe and i can pull my vlx or my old xlv loaded down 5 people in the truck all gear no problem, its not going to win a race but its not going to have a problem either. Have never even flushed the cooling system in the tahoe. Denali does everything the tahoe does, but better. The 4 speeds are 4l60s and the 6 speed is a 6l80, the 6 speed has much higher torque handlinds and im assuming will last forever. My 3500 GMC van has the 4 speed version of the newer 6speed, 4l80 and it has 315k miles and towed 4-6k lbs it whole life stock tranny stock engine.

Ive loved all my trucks which is why I keep buying them. As others have posted they don't see the milage and it's a dog.... Well I do see 20 on the highway and average 16, there are a lot of variables there. Granted yes an 08 Silverado with the 5.3 and 3.73 isn't necessarily built to haul a 247, or maybe a new lsv! It hauls my 05 vlx fantastic and cruises the highways at 75 doing it without overheating or any issues at all Included several trips to Grand Lake, Beaver, Table rock, and on the way home from Dallas to Kansas City. A denali while an awesome truck with the 6.2 awd, can haul 5 of the OP's boats at once. If your looking for a big nasty truck you've found it, Ive driven it! The freakin 2.8 2005 liberty diesel will haul that boat! Upgrading to the heavier boat, either of your choices will do great. Sorry for everyones misfortune with the dreaded 4 spd 5.3 lol I kid I kid :rofl: