Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HeaterCraft install questions

braindamage

I recently bought a Heatercraft heater through the TMC group buy (thanks D-Goose!) and plan to install this weekend. I have a couple of questions on the plumbing. The install manual says:

"2. Locate and remove the cooling system plug on the intake manifold. This would be located at the front of
the engine near the thermostat housing or on the thermostat housing itself. (On some applications it may be
necessary to rmove the temperature sending unit and install a brass tee.) Install the proper size hose barb.
3. Locate and remove the plug on the water pump hosuing and install the proper size hose barb."
This doesn't indicate how to plumb in the Y-tube. I am assuming I install one end of the hose to the intake manifold. I am guessing that the Y-tube is installed on the water intake hose that goes between the hull and the raw water pump?.
Secondly - the manual says that I should mount the heater horizontally. I think that if I mount it vertically I will have less bends in the hose and therefore better air flow...is there a real reason it should be mounted horizontally? Maybe for the fan?
I'm hoping someone can help me clarify.
Thanks!!

Wye pipe will be inline on raw water side before the raw water pump, in lieu of step 3 (you are returning water to the raw water intake rather than the engine water pump). the barb should point towards the intake (not towards the raw water pump/impeller)

Not sure if core will work vertically? You would want to have the outlet and intake on the bottom for winterization, so the core will drain, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to suck the air out of the top of the core?

Just running the hoses down to the bilge and back up to the heater will catch air. The first decent water flow should fill it well enough, but you may get more gurgling sounds with the core vertical because of the small hairpin turns in the core. I think the main reason for horizontal mounting is winterizing, like shawndoggy said.

It was my yesterday project. I did use the Y tube and we took it out late for a sunset wakeboard and it works good. My son took it out for an idle cruise after dark and the combo of idle speed and cooler temps made it not as effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang, you are fast! I started my install. Got things laid out and I tried to install the dash pull out heat vents (Axis T22) but unfortunalty, I will have to cut some fiberglass out from behind the dash for it to fit. The factory has a cut out there, its just about 1/8" of interference. So, I didn't want to take that on. Love all the info on this stuff on this site. Makes me a lot more comfortable attempting this install myself.

I am hoping to get back to it during the week...

Edited by Raimie

Does anyone know where I can get a 3 position toggle switch to match the others on an Axis? I want to be able to use the high and low setting on the heater and the Aux switches are 2 position.

I looked and couldn't easily find one. My local dealer thinks he can order one but didn't move toward his PC or catalog to find it. I just wired into the standard 1-position on/off switch and wired it into the high fan. I can't imagine wanting another setting other than high if it's cold enough to justify turning on the heater. I may try it on medium to see if it raises the temp without sacrificing too much air flow. Having only 1 speed is no biggee from my view.

boat heaters don't work that great anyhow, seeing as the cabin is not enclosed. I never understood why you'd want to use a setting other than full blast.

ahopkins22LSV
boat heaters don't work that great anyhow, seeing as the cabin is not enclosed. I never understood why you'd want to use a setting other than full blast.

We use our low setting quite often. If I'm just thing to warm my feet up after a ski set or just out in the boat low works great. High is too hot because under the helm it does heat the entire area. We live in a much different climate though.

• 4 weeks later...

Just having fun installing my Heatercraft heater into my 2011 LXi. All good except does anyone know how to do the wiring to the touch screen. On the touch screen I have a heater button but cant find the wiring which I can attach to. cheers to any help. Ian

We use our low setting quite often. If I'm just thing to warm my feet up after a ski set or just out in the boat low works great. High is too hot because under the helm it does heat the entire area. We live in a much different climate though.

This, plus early and late season skiing, is the primary reason I'd like to put one on my RLXI. I'm not sure it's going to happen this season or not, but I'm definitely going to do it. I may have to wait for the next GB on them here.