Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 depth gauge glitches.

My new to me 2012 depth gauge will show shallow water (3 ft.) sporatically when in deep water. That throws up the shallow alarm I have set at 5 ft. I can set it to 0 shallow alarm and not be alarmed in the middle of lake, but would like to know if there is anything I may check to fix this? Where is the sender? Previous owner said it has always done this.

TIA

Denny

Is the transducer not to the left of the vdrive? I figured mine had been swapped out as it came with a spare when I bought it. It hasn't done it in a while but I remember mine doing it a couple times in the last couple years. Not enough to sweat tho.

What speed are you going when it happens? How long does it take to read correctly again?

The only thing I can think of is that the transducer is catching air when going over waves or ripples, and it has to purge the air before it reads correctly again.

If it is not a through hull transducer, maybe the mount has a small air gap between the floor and the transducer.

My vlx did same thing, sometimes idling and sometimes moving. No rhyme or reason really! Traded to a 247 and it has set alarm 3-4 times and I only have 8 hours on it. My alarm is set at 8ft, went off in 40ft of water. Oh we'll, could be worse, could be in shallow water and it not work at all!!!!

What speed are you going when it happens? How long does it take to read correctly again?

The only thing I can think of is that the transducer is catching air when going over waves or ripples, and it has to purge the air before it reads correctly again.

If it is not a through hull transducer, maybe the mount has a small air gap between the floor and the transducer.

Cruise speeds. Usually jumps back to correct reading in seconds but alarm keeps sounding for several more seconds. Got out again today and noticed if it is not reading correct, I can turn starboard or port and it picks back up. thinking probably airated under hull and loosing signal.