dalt1

2012 depth gauge glitches.

dalt1

My new to me 2012 depth gauge will show shallow water (3 ft.) sporatically when in deep water. That throws up the shallow alarm I have set at 5 ft. I can set it to 0 shallow alarm and not be alarmed in the middle of lake, but would like to know if there is anything I may check to fix this? Where is the sender? Previous owner said it has always done this.

TIA

Denny

NorrisMike

Is the transducer not to the left of the vdrive? I figured mine had been swapped out as it came with a spare when I bought it. It hasn't done it in a while but I remember mine doing it a couple times in the last couple years. Not enough to sweat tho.

Jimmypooh

This has been a problem for years and I have yet to hear of a decent solution.

justgary

What speed are you going when it happens? How long does it take to read correctly again?

The only thing I can think of is that the transducer is catching air when going over waves or ripples, and it has to purge the air before it reads correctly again.

If it is not a through hull transducer, maybe the mount has a small air gap between the floor and the transducer.

jonesee

My vlx did same thing, sometimes idling and sometimes moving. No rhyme or reason really! Traded to a 247 and it has set alarm 3-4 times and I only have 8 hours on it. My alarm is set at 8ft, went off in 40ft of water. Oh we'll, could be worse, could be in shallow water and it not work at all!!!!

dalt1

What speed are you going when it happens? How long does it take to read correctly again?

The only thing I can think of is that the transducer is catching air when going over waves or ripples, and it has to purge the air before it reads correctly again.

If it is not a through hull transducer, maybe the mount has a small air gap between the floor and the transducer.

Cruise speeds. Usually jumps back to correct reading in seconds but alarm keeps sounding for several more seconds. Got out again today and noticed if it is not reading correct, I can turn starboard or port and it picks back up. thinking probably airated under hull and loosing signal.