Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best way to tie up...

ndahlberg12

In you guys opinion and experience what is the best way to anchor your boat at shore without beaching.

One of the lakes we frequent has a lot of gravel and pebble at the shore line and I'm to picky to let the boat beach and rock on that crap. Looking for a good solution, links and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Set a box anchor off shore. Anchor buddy from anchor to bow eye. Stern line from transom to shore.

Sorry no pics right now....I am not at my desk

Edited by 09vRide
  • Like 3

How about on a tidal beach? The river I boat on has up to a 3' swing due to dam releases and I have an overnight-er planned for memorial day. I know I should put her out a ways so when the water drops it doesn't beach. But is there anything I can do with the line/ tie-off to make sure it stays tight?

I actually have a thought on this. Is the box anchor awesome? Because I ran into a situation last year at a campground we were staying at and it was solid flat rock bottom. Anchor would not hold any where. I have the standard three bladed type rubber coated anchor "which is horrible". We ended up tying my anchor rope to like a 50 lb rock and driving it out by boat of shore to drop it to the bottom. It held but what a pain. Sorry for the hi jack ndahl, felt this is relevant

How about on a tidal beach? The river I boat on has up to a 3' swing due to dam releases and I have an overnight-er planned for memorial day. I know I should put her out a ways so when the water drops it doesn't beach. But is there anything I can do with the line/ tie-off to make sure it stays tight?

One of the lakes we frequent drops 3-5' overnight. It's not uncommon to see boats on the shore when we wake up. I tie off deep and use anchor buddies fore and aft.

I actually have a thought on this. Is the box anchor awesome? Because I ran into a situation last year at a campground we were staying at and it was solid flat rock bottom. Anchor would not hold any where. I have the standard three bladed type rubber coated anchor "which is horrible". We ended up tying my anchor rope to like a 50 lb rock and driving it out by boat of shore to drop it to the bottom. It held but what a pain. Sorry for the hi jack ndahl, felt this is relevant

Not only is the BOX ANCHOR awesome, I have often skipped the use of the shore line! Never, ever had issues.

box anchor, anchor buddy, long rope for other end of boat, something secure to fasten to on shore (shore spike, pvc pole, tree, wife)

Yes I would think the wife is a really good idea! And just where is it you sleep at night???

Lol.......

Funny. ....I can actually picture that!

Edited by Dare2goBare

Sounds like box anchor, anchor buddy and a shore spike it is then. Thanks guys. Is there a brand of anchor buddy that is better than the other, I see several people make/sell them

Do yourself a favor and get the Danik hook for your shore spike. No need to learn quick-release knots; anyone can do it. Makes for very easy and very quick line adjustments.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47881-small-or-large-box-anchor/

Just bought one of these, can't wait to try it out this summer. Expensive but i think worth it !

this is a problem I had when first anchoring many years ago. Rope was too short.

Where it says 5:1 I believe that means if its 10 feet deep then you need 50 feet of rope.

I've created 5 20' lines with caribiners on each end and I can easily add or remove lengths as needed & clip them to anything or together.

anchorscope.gif

• Like 1
formulaben

The technical term is rode, and you'll need far less of it with a box anchor. I normally only have a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio using that anchor, but YMMV.

We use a box anchor on the front and either a blade anchor dug in by hand or tie to a boat that is nosed up to the beach.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

For those using the danik hook, just a word of caution- be careful relying on the carabiner. I was lazy and had mine on my box anchor and it came unlatched under water, leaving my box anchor at the bottom of the lake. The risk is probably not too great if it was just connected to the bow eye, but I learned the hard way it can come undone.