Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterskiing behind 2014 VTX?

SG223

Just picked up a new 2014 VTX (diamond hull), and was looking for some thoughts on how to best ski behind it. I'm an open water guy (no courses for me), decent skier but by no means an expert, and have usually skied at around 32 mph. I think I've seen some folks run ballast in the forward tank, does that seem to make an improvement? What about line length, any thoughts on a good length to start with?

Thanks in advance for your time and insight.

Thanks everyone - love the idea of a direct drive, but we like the flexibility this boat should offer (wakeboarding + surfing). Plus our lake gets so damn rough, the DD's just sit on the lifts all day...

I run bow tank half full, 15 off. Think you may find that at 22 off you're right on top of or immediately behind the rooster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this isn't much help but I did like a post I saw on here some time back to a similar question. It went something like:

Lift the engine up, move it forward about four feet, turn it around 180 deg and set it down.

I couldn't help myself. Sorry...

You forgot to add, change out the Trany. ...

SG223>>> you had to ask. :Tease3:

I know this isn't much help but I did like a post I saw on here some time back to a similar question. It went something like:

Lift the engine up, move it forward about four feet, turn it around 180 deg and set it down.

I couldn't help myself. Sorry...

Or...... you can learn how to ski ;)

Sorry, but after years skiing behind an I/O, even through a course it always makes me laugh at how picky some folks are about the water and the wake. If you can ski on non-glass on a less than perfect wake, imagine how much better a skier you will be ;)

• Like 2

That hump at 22' off you talk about can be changed depending on the prop. My 1235 has a more pronounced bump than the 537. I understand that the 5 balde props are supposed to help with this. I have not tried one yet, but maybe this year.

But as far as skiing , bow tank 1/2 full or so and everyone as far forward in the cockpit the better. Also if you can only run under 1/2 tank of fuel and then fuel up for the other board sports if possible.

Or...... you can learn how to ski ;)

Sorry, but after years skiing behind an I/O, even through a course it always makes me laugh at how picky some folks are about the water and the wake. If you can ski on non-glass on a less than perfect wake, imagine how much better a skier you will be ;)

Or... trade in your Audi and get an Edsel - imagine how much better driver you will be.

Or... trade in your Mac and get an old Atari computer - imagine how much more adept you would be.

Or... swap your smart phone for two tins and a bit of string - imagine how your comms skills would improve.

Or... learn to wakeboard behind my un-ballasted, non-tower Response LXI - imagine how much better a boarder you could be.

Or... get a Corvette and take it off roading.

I know a few national and international level skiers and haven't seen them skiing behind MXZs to improve their skills...

That said, the OP clearly has other needs for a wake boat and just wants to obtain the best skiing wake behind it that he can. No problem. I well realise that pushing my tongue into my cheek wasn't a lot of help to him... :biggrin:

Edited by GreenMan
Based on a VLX with Diamond hull, 15 off to start. Bow ballast is a wash if you ask me. Try it and see what you like.

Bow weight makes a big difference in the VTX. I always have my bow 1/2 full.

• 2 weeks later...

I run the bow tank half full on the '12 VTX. The wake is about as flat as my '94 Echelon LX had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk