Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Inland Surfer Tako?

wakesetter8796

Looking at boards and came across this one for $379. Is it a good board? Does it pearl easily? Good speed? Can advanced riders use it? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

YouTube and Vimeo are your friends. U can find vids on there and evaluate for yourself some what. Granted, folks experience is valuable but also ask weight and experience of rider or evaluation of the board can be skewed big time. Check w Mitch at Calsports marine He is a wealth of knowledge and is not brand loyal but gives great advice and really knows his stuff. Also, what style of board are ya looking for for? Traditional surf or skim? A lot to consider and many variables in the question ya asked I know that every IS board I have ever surfed did what it was supposed to do but some choose to try models and are not satisfied w results cause they don't use it for what it was intended. Hope that helps, it has been what I have learned over the past 8yrs plus of surfing. Hope ya find what your looking for.

My experience with inland surfer as a brand would leave me to believe they only make quality boards. I have the red rocket and the blue lake....both perfectly built. Just below a full blown custom in quality.

Search this site. A member has some good videos of his progression on the Tako. I own one (came with my boat) and I can't wait to try it out.

Whoops! my bad. Maybe it wasn't this site.

Edited by Dodger40

My experience with inland surfer as a brand would leave me to believe they only make quality boards. I have the red rocket and the blue lake....both perfectly built. Just below a full blown custom in quality.

They are good production made in china boards, but with the exception of the flyboy, far far from custom. Like really far.

Maybe it was youtube that I saw this? Here is the video.

Hey that's me! The Tako is now officially our all-around boat board. I'm airing it out and trying shove-its on it weekly and my wife and buddies (who are new to the sport) ride it without the rope no problem. Yes it's not a custom board, but our riders range from 210lbs down to 125lbs and all have different skill levels, so a custom board really wouldn't work for us. You can set up the fins to ride like a surf style board or a skim style, so that's good too. Here are a few more videos of us riding it.

http://instagram.com/p/lSSfe-vJBg/ <--- Newest video.

Edited by petrie141

Hey that's me! The Tako is now officially our all-around boat board. I'm airing it out and trying shove-its on it weekly and my wife and buddies (who are new to the sport) ride it without the rope no problem. Yes it's not a custom board, but our riders range from 210lbs down to 125lbs and all have different skill levels, so a custom board really wouldn't work for us. You can set up the fins to ride like a surf style board or a skim style, so that's good too. Here are a few more videos of us riding it.

http://instagram.com/p/lSSfe-vJBg/ <--- Newest video.

What fins do you run?

What fins do you run?

If I want to ride skim style, I use an old wakeskate fin that's similar to this http://www.evo.com/fins/inland-surfer-s-series-1-fin.aspx#image=67177/322788/inland-surfer-s-series-1-fin-2013.jpg

If I want to ride it surf style, I use two of the supplied fins that come with the Tako and use them on the left and right side.

If we have someone new riding, I put all 3 supplied fins on to give them the most grip.

Just ordered the tako. Should be great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Congrats! I think you'll like it. Learn from our mistake, we actually have two wakesurfers.

#1 is obviously the Tako.

#2 is a soft top Ronix Huntington which is 5'10" and as thick as a tree.

My original thought was to use the Huntington for the new guys since it's so buoyant, has huge fins, and gets pushed really easily. All of those things actually made it more difficult for beginners. It was so buoyant that beginners couldn't get their feet in the right area when laying in the water, and then they couldn't press down with their heels to get the board to flip up (at least not easily). Then, if they were fortunate to get up, the huge fins would lock in and start making the board rocket out to whichever way they were leaning (which could be anywhere for a beginner). Finally, if they were able to get up, and stay up, the ease of push would have them getting too close to the boat which would then turn into too far away of the boat. Hard to find the sweet spot.

Here are a few videos of my cousin who was new to wakesurfing:

Here he is on the Ronix Huntington (longboard): Sketchy, arms out, doesn't look fun, and no confidence.

This is on the Tako. Notice the confidence and ability to move around on the wake. He just seems more comfortable (I don't know how to embed video from FB here).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=707289511920&l=8769947034185548538

Man, IS should send me some love for all this haha.

Edited by petrie141

Congrats! I think you'll like it. Learn from our mistake, we actually have two wakesurfers.

#1 is obviously the Tako.

#2 is a soft top Ronix Huntington which is 5'10" and as thick as a tree.

My original thought was to use the Huntington for the new guys since it's so buoyant, has huge fins, and gets pushed really easily. All of those things actually made it more difficult for beginners. It was so buoyant that beginners couldn't get their feet in the right area when laying in the water, and then they couldn't press down with their heels to get the board to flip up (at least not easily). Then, if they were fortunate to get up, the huge fins would lock in and start making the board rocket out to whichever way they were leaning (which could be anywhere for a beginner). Finally, if they were able to get up, and stay up, the ease of push would have them getting too close to the boat which would then turn into too far away of the boat. Hard to find the sweet spot.

Here are a few videos of my cousin who was new to wakesurfing:

Here he is on the Ronix Huntington (longboard): Sketchy, arms out, doesn't look fun, and no confidence.

This is on the Tako. Notice the confidence and ability to move around on the wake. He just seems more comfortable (I don't know how to embed video from FB here).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=707289511920&l=8769947034185548538

Man, IS should send me some love for all this haha.

We are coming from a 4'8" hyperlite broadcast that we will keep for little kids.

We are coming from a 4'8" hyperlite broadcast that we will keep for little kids.

You'll do just fine then. Enjoy! Take video!

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Petrie,

thanks for the posts in the thread. I made the plunge and ordered the IS Tako. Looking forward to hitting the lake next weekend in our 07 VLX.

I used you videos to get the family and friends geared up to wakesurf. :)

Petrie,

thanks for the posts in the thread. I made the plunge and ordered the IS Tako. Looking forward to hitting the lake next weekend in our 07 VLX.

Nice! I just used mine to record a amateur skim MyWake 3 trick combo.

Petrie,

Our beginners use all 3 fins it comes with. Then, once they get more comfortable, we slowly start taking them off. First to go is the rear center so they can ride it thruster style. If they want to try skim style we leave only the back fin and go from there. If they want to go even further skim style, we replace the provided fin with a true skim fin.

Mine only came with 2 fins, what are the other options?

My fault, ours came with only 2 as well, I am using an old wakeskate fin that looks very similar to the ones that inland surfer provided. For beginners, use both fins on the sides thruster style. They're pretty big so it'll make the board stable but they're not big enough to do what I call the "surf style lock" where the board leans one way and the new riders can't seem to correct it (so they fall).