Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Break in Period?

What are you with new boats doing for break in? I was told 3 hours then do whatever but read in manual it should be 10 hours of break in.

Edited by MEYJR

PErsonally, I follow the manual which gives hour by hour instructions. Does it matter in the long term? dunno. A lot of people say given how INDMAR and Malibu test they're breaking the rules. Maybe, but you're talking a few minutes. I think very few WOT bursts after about 5 hours and no heavy ballast until 10 is pretty reasonable.

My dealer told me 3 hours, take it easy, vary rpms. After that, use it. His reasoning was that these engines are made with such tight tolerances and precision machining that 10 hours is overkill. I will take it easy up to 10, but am planning on towing and weighting before then.

My dealer told me 3 hours, take it easy, vary rpms. After that, use it. His reasoning was that these engines are made with such tight tolerances and precision machining that 10 hours is overkill. I will take it easy up to 10, but am planning on towing and weighting before then.

Same thing my dealer said. We are new to all of this so won't need any weight for now but plan to pull the boys wakeboarding after 3 hours so they can start learning but no weight until after 10.

Took it easy for an hour or so and , varyed rpms. Jumped in the water and took a quick ski run then back to some easy boating with varying rpms. Day two some skiing and another boat ride easy. She has run like a champ from day one.

Painfully followed the 10 hours in the manual. Took three trips to the lake which was over six hours of driving not counting prep and cleaning with no riding! Towards the ends it felt like the hours should be going faster as the RPMs where higher :( NO LUCK.....

It was hard but had to finish so we could get 1st service completed before spring break trip.

Kelly

I like that color scheme! Just make sure to vary speeds and not use alot of ballast or do alot of high rpm running. Dont baby it though, im very familiar with these ls based engines and when breaking in I like to do a few burst from idle to full throttle in the first few hours just to really break the rings in and get all the gaskets seated well.

My dealer said 10 as well and very throttle up to WOT...just don't run there long. Start weighting after 10, and VERY important let it warm up then run fairly hard for 10 minutes or so, then surf, and do the same thing after surfing 10 minutes or so of hard running. This is for the O2 sensor. I already had one fail...I am at 22 hours and was surfing with 4k of ballast a couple days ago... :-)

To the lake, go we must.

Does drive it like u stole it count as break in. No seriously you should never stay at same RPM or load for very long durning 1st few hours. After that it's game on.

Sent into space with tapatalk

I ran it like a scalded dog. 120+ hrs and counting and 0 issues. Think I had a little under 2 hrs before I did my 1st wakeboard set w/t full ballast etc.

• Like 3

I think the PCM break in instructions are more in line with most engine builders, but there's no one to say who's right and wrong.

The only consensus with all break in instructions on land or sea is, don't weight it a lot right away (or towing on land) and vary the RPMs (don't use the cruise on land) right away.

Vary RPMs, give it a few good short WOT runs, and take it easy until 10 hours.

Towards the ends it felt like the hours should be going faster as the RPMs where higher :( NO LUCK.....

It was hard but had to finish so we could get 1st service completed before spring break trip.

Kelly

I thought the exact same thing about RPM and time. Actually mentioned it to my buddy yesterday while we were at the 8.5 hr mark..

Drive it on day one like you plan on driving it it's whole life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the way I like to do it. Lol

Sent into space with tapatalk

Edited by ktrent