Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear hatch vinyl

csilcox

Yeah I can feel you on this, I started the other topic concerning this same thing. I think it's beyond ridiculous that something like this occurs on something so expensive. I can't imagine buying a new car and the interior turns colors and the only solution is to buy noodles or set in the sun! lol That car maker would be the laughing stock of the industry. Somehow boat makers get away with it.

Malibu, if you are reading these posts (and I know they don't) please offer a solution. These pictures and posts aren't doing your company any good! Suck it up and fix it !

by the way, i don't cover mine. My conclusion is it getting wet and then heat bringing it up. It's not so much a cover issue, it's heat. Basically, factory defect !

Edited by Dalton68

Wow...so everytime I want to take the boat out I need to get up 2-3 hours before and take the cover off and take boat off lift and move to outside of the dock and place in sun......what a pain in the you know what!!! Malibu should be ashamed of this and if it is happening to as many people as it seems you think they would own up to their defects! In the grand scheme of things it would not be that drastic to fix the defect. If you think about it they really would only have to replace sundeck and bolsters in the bow because it seems there is enough airflow elsewhere????

NDawg...when you use your noodle contraption do you still get any at all?? And are you just basically laying noodles the direction of the boat on the sun deck?

Thanks

If your boat is on a lift then why have you got a cover on it?

I put a cover on it to keep to lessen the spider droppings and dirt daubers from building nests throughout....I live in Georgia and dirt daubers build nests out of RED CLAY and they make a holy mess!

And I agree Malibu should do something and if it is happening to this many people you would think that at some point people would be banding together and screamin loud enough that they would do something!

My '02 does it very time. We are in process of having all new interior put in and even the upholsterer said he sees it in almost all boats. As stated earlier cover with white towel in between cover or light colored cover to reduce it.

I think this may 3 separate issues

1) mold/mildew from boat being wet and covered. Can be seen on any boat.

2) some color from the cover getting on the vinyl (putting a white towel in between resolves it)

3) glue issue (as in my case since I don't use a cover , so far no resolution)

You can use a plastic mattress cover and a 86" shower curtain rod to help cover back of seats

Queen size works great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2011 23 LSV that this happened to last week for the first time.Looks like yours.

Parked it outside in sun which helped.
What are they thinking when this happens to there product for years and years. DO NOTHING

I have a 2011 23 LSV that this happened to last week for the first time.Looks like yours.

Parked it outside in sun which helped.

What are they thinking when this happens to there product for years and years. DO NOTHING

Crap...wonder if this is going to happen to mine as well. I would be just like csilcox in that I'd wake up 10 times in the middle of the nigh all pissed off!. This is kind of beyond belief in that it's been going on for a long time with Bu's.

I am wondering if I switch to a Evolution cover or similar if it will do the same thing?

Yes, I tried multiple covers and mine always did it.

Is this a malibu-only issue, or is this seen with other manufacturers as well? Perhaps it's the nature of the vinyl itself?

My current boat is kept in the same storage area, with a black cover, taken care of the same way..... It hasn't done that.

Edited by bamabonners

I am in the process of replacing all of my vinyl now. I was looking for what years had the problem and I ran across this lawsuit. I wonder if this is part of the problem with the vinyl:

http://www.law360.com/articles/238098/plastic-maker-hit-with-suit-over-faded-boat-vinyl

Law360, New York (April 11, 2011, 3:46 PM ET) -- A contract dispute over allegedly defective laminated vinyl used to make boat cushions sailed into Michigan federal court Thursday, with foam supplier G&T Industries Inc. seeking to hold Deitsch Plastic Co. Inc. liable.
G&T filed its lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan, alleging the defective cushions faded easily in sunlight. G&T obtained the vinyl from Deitsch and then sold the product to its boat manufacturing customers, which subsequently made the cushions and other boat products, according to the suit.

G&T's filing comes about a week after Deitsch filed its own lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, seeking to hold its upstream suppliers, Vinyl Materials Inc. and Penn Color Inc, liable for the defect. VMI previously sued Penn Color over the dispute in 2010 in the Eastern District of New York.

Donald L. Kreindler, an attorney at Phillips Nizer LLP who is representing Deitsch, said the parties have been engaged in mediation but no resolution has been reached.

Penn Color supplied the pigment and VMI mixed them to achieve the desired color, Kreindler said. Deitsch purchased the vinyl and laminated it to a fabric before shipping the product to G&T, Kreindler said. Kreindler said his client believes the problem is either due to bad pigment supplied by Penn Color or to an issue in VMI's mixing process.

“It should be a dispute between Penn Color and VMI, and Deitsch and G&T are both innocent parties, in the sense that neither one caused the problem,” Kreindler said.

That did not stop G&T and Deitsch from suing each other, however. In its New York lawsuit, Deitsch added G&T as a defendant in an attempt to prevent to G&T from filing its own suit in Michigan, as G&T had been threatening to do and ultimately did Thursday.

In its Michigan filing, G&T argues it cannot be hauled into court in New York because it lacks contact with the state and, therefore, the New York court lacks jurisdiction.

Kreindler said Deitsch would seek to dismiss the latest suit, noting it does not make sense for the same dispute to be litigated in federal court in two different states.

G&T alleges the vinyl defect caused it at least $3 million in damages, and that its boat manufacturing customers had previously settled their claims for $1 million. Kreindler, who said he had not yet seen G&T's suit, called those figures “wildly excessive.”

G&T is asking the Michigan court to declare that it is not liable for the vinyl defect. It also asserts breach of implied and express warranties, negligent misrepresentation, failure to warn and other claims .

“The product provided by Deitsch was defective and failed to comply with contract requirements in that the product, when exposed to sunlight, caused the finished fabric to turn green,” G&T said in its complaint.

G&T claims that it is not accused of liability in other lawsuits over the matter.

An attorney for G&T was not immediately available for comment Monday.

G&T is represented by Lentz Teeples PC.

Deitsch is represented by Phillips Nizer LLP.

The Michigan case is G&T Industries Inc. v. Deitsch Plastic Co. Inc., case number 1:11-cv-00356, in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan.