Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IPhone5 Maliview problems

Lake Placid Crew

I have a 2010 23LSV. Anyone having problems trying to connect the IPhone5 to the Maliview through the USB? I get a device not compatible error. I can connect through the standard audio jack and it works fine. However can't connect with the IPhone 5 cable to the Maliview USB. My IPhone 3 and 4 worked fine with it and I could use the Maliview to control songs and such and even would read out which songs were playing. It was nice because I would throw my phone in the GB and not have to use it to change songs, tracks, etc.

Thanks!

The iPhone 5 has the 8-pin Lightning connector vs. the 30 pin dock connector on the older devices. The Lightning connector is a digital-only output vs. both on the dock connector.

My guess is the Maliview with USB, like most audio devices of the time, was not forward thinking and only takes the analog input. There is a solution: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=f710deb7b1c7e3f654ed264fa5f9a1955be4846875717ae86d1823ef2e8c42b8c5a10433c443fce6cfea44d95dac2244fb55a77c0d18d236e5a4655b05fcb8abaed5911ff6605af4b1fb2d18fef393a2931d575d399464215717dfddf098f43d3190b2d6af7320b71ed4b2effd3ad34f

DO NOT PURCHASE AN OFF-BRAND ADAPTER! The copies will charge/sync but don't have the DAC built in and won't work. I bought (and got to keep for free) several off-brand adapters that claimed to do audio and they sure as heck didn't. The built-in DAC is part of the reason the adapter is so expensive, but it does work.

The iPhone 5 has the 8-pin Lightning connector vs. the 30 pin dock connector on the older devices. The Lightning connector is a digital-only output vs. both on the dock connector.

My guess is the Maliview with USB, like most audio devices of the time, was not forward thinking and only takes the analog input. There is a solution: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=f710deb7b1c7e3f654ed264fa5f9a1955be4846875717ae86d1823ef2e8c42b8c5a10433c443fce6cfea44d95dac2244fb55a77c0d18d236e5a4655b05fcb8abaed5911ff6605af4b1fb2d18fef393a2931d575d399464215717dfddf098f43d3190b2d6af7320b71ed4b2effd3ad34f

DO NOT PURCHASE AN OFF-BRAND ADAPTER! The copies will charge/sync but don't have the DAC built in and won't work. I bought (and got to keep for free) several off-brand adapters that claimed to do audio and they sure as heck didn't. The built-in DAC is part of the reason the adapter is so expensive, but it does work.

I bought that adapter in the link and same thing happens as described in OP. I also have a 2010 VLX and iPhone 5..

You have to buy rockford fosgates proprietary cord that plugs into the round looking hole and not into the usb port. I cant think of the port name off hand but you have to use rockfords cord and then use the adapter on the end of that to convert the old 30-pin plug to the 8-pin lightning and it should work. Just went through this ordeal myself.

• Like 3

RF calls it the " digiport" connector. There should be a round s-video looking connector in your glove box that this proprietary cable plugs into.

Check this link http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/ipodec

You will still need this as previously stated.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Has anyone used the usb port for a flash drive with music? I assume thats what the 8 gb Malibu flash drive that came with my boat is for. But will the RF head unit operate it like an iphone? Will it let you browse by artist, song, playlists, etc? Although I have not bought the above mentioned adapter yet so I am not sure it will do that with my iphone5. It wouldn't with an old Ipod I tried.

You have to buy rockford fosgates proprietary cord that plugs into the round looking hole and not into the usb port. I cant think of the port name off hand but you have to use rockfords cord and then use the adapter on the end of that to convert the old 30-pin plug to the 8-pin lightning and it should work. Just went through this ordeal myself.

RF calls it the " digiport" connector. There should be a round s-video looking connector in your glove box that this proprietary cable plugs into.

Check this link http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/ipodec

You will still need this as previously stated.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Our boat came with that RF cord and it still pops up saying "device not compatible" with the 8 pin adapter on. So USB and digiport don't work for me with iPhone 5.

I also am having the same problem with a 2013 LSV and iphone 5. I dont have the adapter yet but it is on order. I am also not able to connect via bluetooth...anyone else having issues?

If you have the bluetooth with the maliview then it's a pretty simple connection to pair, and you have to approve the request on the touchscreen. If you don't have the bluetooth connection I'd recommend picking one up or getting the wet sounds bluetooth controller, which simply plugs into the aux in jack.

Peter

If you have the bluetooth with the maliview then it's a pretty simple connection to pair, and you have to approve the request on the touchscreen. If you don't have the bluetooth connection I'd recommend picking one up or getting the wet sounds bluetooth controller, which simply plugs into the aux in jack.

Peter

Yes I have the bluetooth with Maliview....my phone will pick up the boat but everytime I try to connect it says unavailable...also tried with my wifes iphone 4

On the Axis forum a member called Sony and they said the Sony headunit does not support iPhone 5 iOS 7. However, I have not updated my iPhone 5 iOS version 7.0.4 to the newer 7.1.1 and my iPhone 5 works perfectly. I'm also using an Apple USB cord.

Oh hai ajwest. Lol yeah, f*** sony. I'm still pissed about this. Btw, I tried an original apple cord and an amazon basics cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The USB port on the black box is used for a flash drive it's not used to connect the iPhone. As far as I know they have no adaptor for the 5/5S so the lightning adaptor on the iPhone 4/4S cord in the glove box is the only way.

Why do people get mad at Malibu when things like this don't work? Shouldn't you get mad at apple or the manufacturer changing things like this? Its not like other companies know these changes are coming. Usually with tech, apple (or whoever) makes a change, and leaves everyone scrambling to get things compatible.

My pioneer hu in my truck is "iPod" compatable, and the cable would allow for control and charging, after the iOS 7 release, my touch devices no longer charge from this cable. Same with other cables that I had as charging cables. My "classic" iPod still charges.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Edited by wakebrdr94
  • 2 weeks later...
Why do people get mad at Malibu when things like this don't work? Shouldn't you get mad at apple or the manufacturer changing things like this? Its not like other companies know these changes are coming. Usually with tech, apple (or whoever) makes a change, and leaves everyone scrambling to get things compatible. My pioneer hu in my truck is "iPod" compatable, and the cable would allow for control and charging, after the iOS 7 release, my touch devices no longer charge from this cable. Same with other cables that I had as charging cables. My "classic" iPod still charges. Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

X2 it's apple changing things

Be lucky it charges your phone. I know the new lighting plug doesn't support video either. Dang Apple