Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring tower speakers at what ohm? Wetsounds pro696rs

lakewebster

I have a pair of wetsounds hlcd 6x9 to replace the mbquarts, which I will post a comparison vid afterwards since it seems to be a cost efficient upgrade. I believe the amp setup in my boat has a 400x2(towers) and 500x2(sub) all stock rockford punch amps. Im going to switch the 500x2 to be the tower amp as it can run 125rms @4ohm which is just under the 150rms the 6x9s handle. Will this be enough power for them? Also it appears my current tower amp is run normally, 1 channel for each set @4ohm I believe. These speakers say 4ohm so if I wired them at 2ohm (to achieve higher rms) would this hurt the speakers or amp? Or is there a way to wire them (maybe in series) that would achieve better power?

Here is how the amps are currently configured

6EF4CB9C-550C-4967-8547-9E65A7AB547E_zps

Edited by lakewebster

the only way you're gonna get 2 speakers to be two ohms is to run them in parallel and you would have to

Run 2 ohm mono bridged to your amp which it will not do. If you have 4 speakers you could run 2ohm stereo but you'd still only be getting 125w to each speaker. You do need to take off the red warranty stickers

And adjust your gains and cross over if you want to be getting any volume out of that amp. They come from the factory tuned way down and half the time not crossed over right.

Alright thanks for the info. And im planning on tuning all the amps in the next week at the time I install my equalizer. Do you think the 125rms out of the 500x2 once i get the amps properly tuned will suffice? I dont believe the 25rms will be that detrimental db wise but im very unfamiliar with Hlcds. Just trying to avoid buying a bigger amp until I have the money to do rev10s.

Also confused as to why they put a 500x2 on that 250rms sub? Seems like a waste but works out well for me.

Edited by lakewebster
These speakers say 4ohm so if I wired them at 2ohm (to achieve higher rms) would this hurt the speakers

With most typical amps, when you drop from from a single 4 ohm speaker to 2 ohm by wiring two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, the amp does increase its output, but keep in mind, what ever that output is now at, its divided by those 2 speakers. You cant really change the nominal impedance of a speaker, just change the final impedance load at the amp by how 2 or more speakers are wired.

Alright thats what I figured, thanks alot guys! I'll just see how the speakers perform then decide if I need an amp. The birth sheet people got with the RF amps were around 250rms per channel so if that is true they will be powered suffciently. Lets hope these HLCDs are worth the $

Webster... I know this is off topic, bit can you tell me the dimensions of your factory amp rack?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I wasnt able to make it up to the lake today so I wont be able to measure it until next weekend!