Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bad vinyl, glue, mold, whatever it is

Been battling this for years. Left side how it looks when I pull it out of the garage. Right side is after using the only thing that I found works, Mr Clean Magic Eraser/water & about 1/2 hour of time. I've tried many things including steam.

When the boat sits in the sun all day it tends to mostly go away but is back the next morning. It's not mold from putting the cover on, I don't use the cover in the garage. Boat sits in 110 degree heat after I use it, it gets dry!

Just bought some Star Brite vinyl cleaner and maybe that will work better. Mold/Mildew tends to be more spotty and black, I'm told this may be bad glue or something coming up. Contacted Malibu years ago, nothing was done. When I'm in the market for another wakeboard boat this may sway me away from Malibu along with them doing nothing about it.

I'm hoping that I will keep cleaning it and eventually there is nothing left to seep up.

vinyl.jpg

I wonder if that is just the top layer of the vinyl eroding. Like a clear coat or something. The open cell foam used to make magic erasers work like glass cutting away the top layer of whatever you rub them against. I believe Malibu specifically says to not use them on your vinyl, but if that's the only thing that works F what they say. Just keep em clean and conditioned. Which they are now saying not to do either ;).

It did this about a year after I bought the boat new. I never tried a magic eraser until a week ago and this is a 2008 boat.

I've never used any harsh cleaners and kept good care of it, boat only has 250 hours on it and always garaged.

I always thought it was self tanner from a few people that used it but I know that it isn't self tanner now.

I'm hoping the star brite works well so I won't need to use magic eraser anymore.

I had the same problem before and from what ive been told from a dealer, it has something to do with the cover being on and not venting well. The heat buildup draws the glue/junk out of the vinyl and cushions and thats what you end up with. Ive also been told the best thing to do it let the sun take it out. It really sucks though to pull it out and have that all over your seats. That magic eraser works well, a little too well..... magic eraser = bad news to your seats. But I can understand your reasoning behind wanting to use them. I think thats why axis switched to a grey cover instead of black. It helps keep the heat down.

Again, this is what Ive been told so take it for what its worth. May have nothing to do with your particular situation, but it sounds like what i went through.

Edited by ac88926

Ac88926 is right... this is a problem with chemicals in the glue in the covers reacting with the high temperatures... I have that problem on my boat too... but don't use the magic eraser on your vinyl, I hear it is bad for the vinyl... instead just park your boat in the sunlight and it will go away all on its own.

To keep it from happening again, try to keep it in the shade when the cover is on it. and keep it ventilated.

Ac88926 is right... this is a problem with chemicals in the glue in the covers reacting with the high temperatures... I have that problem on my boat too... but don't use the magic eraser on your vinyl, I hear it is bad for the vinyl... instead just park your boat in the sunlight and it will go away all on its own.

To keep it from happening again, try to keep it in the shade when the cover is on it. and keep it ventilated.

Correct, good ventilation is key. I started using swimming pool noodles and randomly sticking them under my cover where half was inside the boat and the other was outside of it to vent. It seemed to work well and the cover still does its job and doesnt let water pool on top like it would if you would have loosened it up. It may look kind of funny if its in your driveway ,but hey, if it works and you're not spending time cleaning or worrying about spots on the vinyl, its worth it to me to have some funny looks from neighbors.

I had this happen to mine as well and I noticed if I had the cover on with the sun baking on it this would always happen. If I had the cover on but had the boat under a canopy this didn't happen so it definitely has something to do with how much heat is being generated directly under the sun. This didn't start happening until around the 4th year of owning the boat, I've owned it since new. From reading posts in the past people had had good luck with a lightly colored grey cover not doing this.

I usually don't park it outside under the sun very often, but if I do, I think I'm going to try the pool noodles. Seems like it they will keep a lot of heat away from the vinyl.

I don't use a cover, ever. I've heard this was causing it but not in my case.

Weird thing is it's on the vinyl facing up like the hatch but there is nothing on the drivers seat or where your back would rest on any cushions.

The hatch being the worst.

And yes, a day in the sun removes most of it but man when I first take it out of my garage it's ugly.

Now that I think of it ..... it must be heat that causes it. My boat is in AZ where it gets 120 F which is why mine does this without a cover. Some of you other guys may never see 120 degrees unless you put a cover on it. So maybe the heat is melting the glue and it seeps up?

This would explain why it's only on the cushions in direct sunlight and facing up. The cushions under my bimini seem ok, nothing at all.

Which then leads me to believe it's a bad glue , back to my original thought. This is something that should be fixed by malibu.

IDK? Mine will happen when stored indoors and without a cover. It does seem like it's the engine hatches. I wonder if it has to do with the continued heat the engine puts out for many hours?

I had success w 303 vinyl cleaner to get majority of that type of stain out. Sunshine helps as well. After use I try to leave the hatches up so all water drains out as much as possible before putting them down.

Mine does this also. I think it's from dirty lake water that gets into the foam under the vinyl.

You aren't getting lake water much dirtier than what I boat in, and I never get anything like that on the vinyl.

You aren't getting lake water much dirtier than what I boat in, and I never get anything like that on the vinyl.

Hmmm? In season I rarely use a cover. It's indoors in a climate controlled environment.

Just spent $4000 to replace our entire interior. Same problem. Not sure what it is I was told something that leaches with high heat. I have a sunbrella cover and a factory. It was like that when I bought it. I was assured in writing out will not be a problem with the new stuff.

If I planned on keeping the boat another 10 years I'd spend the $4k. This may be my last season.

May move on to a cabin cruiser with a slip in san diego.