Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loose throttle issues

So when I purchased the boat, the throttle at idle would be in the normal 12 o'clock position (picture 1 below), and in order to engage the forward gear, I would have to shift to (roughly) the 10 o'clock position (picture 2 below).

Is there any way to tighten the shifting? Or am I just SOL and have to buy a new throttle all together?

photo1-3.jpg

photo2.jpg

any other boat owners have this issue?

Mine is like that & the 07 I drove was like that too. I think it is just normal. When I was trying to fix mine I came across an Indmar manual that showed wide open at the 7 o-clock position which I would've assumed was the 9 o-clock so I stopped looking for a fix.

Mine is like that & the 07 I drove was like that too. I think it is just normal. When I was trying to fix mine I came across an Indmar manual that showed wide open at the 7 o-clock position which I would've assumed was the 9 o-clock so I stopped looking for a fix.

wide open throttle for me is parked at the 9 o'clock position....so it doesn't actually engage the gear until the second picture which is odd to me...

Has it always done this or just now? I guess I missed that you said gear engaged, mine engages right away, just doesn't really accelerate till I move it further forward.

Has it always done this or just now? I guess I missed that you said gear engaged, mine engages right away, just doesn't really accelerate till I move it further forward.

It has always done this. To me, it doesn't seem normal; I drove my buddies vRide and the second that you click it out of idle it engages the transmission and moves forward....

THIS throttle needs to be moved further to even ENGAGE the the forward gear...

If the second pic is in gear and the throttle handle is in a "notch" (or a space that holds it there), then it's normal. If you have to move the throttle past the first "notch" then your linkage is out of whack.

In between neutral and gear is where the transmission neutral safety switch is activated. So that it switches gear without any throttle. I

Anyone know if v-rides have shift and throttle cables? They may be electronically activated.

What about reverse? How does it act?

Like JasonK said, you may just need to adjust your cable.

Putting in reverse, the shift is almost immediate. I definitely do not have to move the throttle to the 3 o'clock position.

Anyone have a DIY on how to adjust the throttle linkage system?

Putting in reverse, the shift is almost immediate. I definitely do not have to move the throttle to the 3 o'clock position.

Anyone have a DIY on how to adjust the throttle linkage system?

There should be some type of adjustments on the cable at the point where the cable attaches to the shift lever on the transmission

Read this thread first: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34722-info-on-adjustting-throttle-cables/?p=491629

I'm not sure of the exact procedure on an inboard, but the normal procedure with shifters and things with cables involves basically the following steps:

1. Separate the ball and socket connector on the shift cable at the transmission.

2. Ensure that the control lever at the helm (the throttle stick) is in the neutral detent.

3. Ensure that the shift lever at the transmission is in the neutral detent.

4. Thread the ball nut on the shift cable on or off until the ball matches the socket at the transmission.

5. Reassemble the ball and socket connector on the shift cable at the transmission.

6. Test for proper operation of shift and throttle function before operating boat.

@eblizard: There are several "joints" in the system that wear over time and result in more lever travel than required to engage the trans. The cable linkage attachment fittings (brass) located on the backside of the throttle assembly wear which allows them to become sloppy and require throttle level actuation to even begin to move the cable (picture in the link from just gary is what I am referencing). Buy a few to keep on hand when you service them. I don't exactly remember, but remove the throttle assembly (the three stainless screws you see in the picture) and do a clean and grease on the unit (there are a couple of small rubber friction pads that are important so don't lose or toss them). The cable end at the trans may be loose or out of adjustment and you might have the option of a different hole to change the ratio (faster to require less travel to engage in gear). Last, or actually maybe first, check the trans fluid for level and cleanliness.

Edited by Woodski