Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock Tower Wiring was configured in Series

Colorado Boat'n

When I bought my boat it had 4 Titan Alpha I's on the tower from the factory or boat shop; not sure which. I've since upgrade these, but never put a second thought to the wiring pulled through the tower. The other day I was adding a set of HLCDs that I needed to run addition wiring for. In the process of having the tower down, I noticed that the stock wiring was in Series for the 4 tower speakers in the stock locations. I had upgrade my amps to power my upgraded speakers and just assumed a parallel wiring configuration which nets a 2 ohm load. Well, it was in Series, 8 ohm load and some around a 1/4 of the power was actually getting to the speakers compared to what I thought. I sort of thought they should have been louder after the upgrade!!!!

Anyway, fixed that. Rewired to parallel. Very easy on my boat because all the wires were spliced together in the tower opening when the tower is folded down.

So, it might be worth double checking your wiring configuration. You might be mistaken, as I was, if you've assumed your 4 tower speakers are in parallel and getting the watts they really need.

that would make perfect sense if the tower were being powered by two two-channel amps in bridged (single channel) mode. Till I re-wired my tower a couple of weeks ago that's how I'd been running (in series).

You finally get your third set strung through the tower?

One speaker is wired up. Still have one more to feed through. Needed to take a breather before I broke something.